So WTF is happening in Supernatural? How is it still going?

legend

I still enjoy it. It isn’t top tier material from many angles, but it shows that the cast enjoys making the show. If you want to know what’s going on, you have to watch! They have kept it going. They’ve added a multi verse to the world and the character Jack, half archeangel and half human. 

It is one of the only episodic X Files ish shows that I bother with. People that say stop after season 5 miss out on some great characters and fun episodes (the episode “Baby” from season 11 for example). 

It certainly doesn’t fit the high quality, strong continuity tv category for me. That is for shows like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Better Call Saul, The Wire, The Expanse, Halt and Catch Fire, Battlestar Galactica, and many others that make up my favorite shows. But I think Supernatural is far better than shows such as NCIS and other slock in that category. 

I think I binged the series right around the time season 9 came out on Netflix. I watched the first 8 seasons, then there was a short wait for season 9, and by the time it came out I had a hard time getting back into it.

I am not an absolutist about only the first 5 seasons being good, but it did seem like that was when they were at their best. Mainly I just kind of got tired of the repeated "Sam's gonna die, but Dean sacrifices himself. Dean is gonna die, but Sam sacrifices himself." runaround.

All that said, I did like the series and may even get back into it at some point. I can't believe they've made, what, like 6 subsequent seasons since I watched? It's one of the longer running shows on TV now.

16 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I think I binged the series right around the time season 9 came out on Netflix. I watched the first 8 seasons, then there was a short wait for season 9, and by the time it came out I had a hard time getting back into it.

I am not an absolutist about only the first 5 seasons being good, but it did seem like that was when they were at their best. Mainly I just kind of got tired of the repeated "Sam's gonna die, but Dean sacrifices himself. Dean is gonna die, but Sam sacrifices himself." runaround.

All that said, I did like the series and may even get back into it at some point. I can't believe they've made, what, like 6 subsequent seasons since I watched? It's one of the longer running shows on TV now.

Yeah the show is currently on season 14.

I guess multiverse is the only direction to go when you've done all the afterlifes already :p 

11 hours ago, elbobo said:

God showed up a couple of seasons ago with his sister

Wasn't it pretty much established that God was the writer?

10 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Yeah this was basically my problem. I watched probably to around season 8 or something and I just got tired of them retreading that. Retreading that theme seems dismissive of all the character work that came before and just got irritating.

I binged watched the heck out of this show 6 years ago when I moved back to Boston. I used to have nightmares at night because of it but I loved the show. lol

I stopped watching when they introduced leviathans whatever season that was. I didn't stop for any particular reason. I think I just needed a change of pace then just never got back into it. Maybe I should pick it back up again? :thinking: Anyone remember what season the leviathans were introduced so I know how many I would have to catch up on? lol