‘Monopoly’ Movie in the Works From Margot Robbie and Lionsgate

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

I hope she can replicate that success from Barbie. 

Yeah, just get Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach to write the screenplay and get Gerwig to direct and then you're good. Robbie producing and starring in something will be meaningless without good writers and directors. I guess Ridley Scott's version of this announced ages ago is out then (though one can just watch All the Money in the World for his take on Monopoly). :p 

I haven't actually seen the Barbie movie, but my understanding is that it is basically the Lego Movie, but slathered with over-the-top anti-patriarchy messaging. I'm guessing a monopoly movie will be the same thing, but for capitalism?

Kinda rich coming from Hollywood, one of the most patriarchal and negatively capitalist industries to ever exist...

We've had Clue and Battleship... what's next? Candyland? Risk? Life? Mousetrap? Chutes and Ladders?

23 minutes ago, ort said:

I haven't actually seen the Barbie movie, but my understanding is that it is basically the Lego Movie, but slathered with over-the-top anti-patriarchy messaging. I'm guessing a monopoly movie will be the same thing, but for capitalism?

Kinda rich coming from Hollywood, one of the most patriarchal and negatively capitalist industries to ever exist...

We've had Clue and Battleship... what's next? Candyland? Risk? Life? Mousetrap? Chutes and Ladders?

If it works, sure. Clue was lovely.

1 hour ago, ort said:

Barbie is indeed The Lego Movie made live-action and about dolls for girls as opposed to lego bricks for boys but "over the top" is a bit harsh. Its messaging is right on point for the dum-dum mass audience its appealing to in the same way that The Lego Movie's messaging did the same thing (aka: have fun with your toys between parents and children). The patriarchal messaging is funny and amusing in what is mostly a comedy, if one doesn't get a laugh out of the scene of all the dudes explaining The Godfather or playing the same song on guitar or at the naming of "Mojo Dojo Casa House" I'd say that person is pretty insecure.

Then again, this is the same board that felt Nope's messaging was over the top and heavy handed but then when I ask a regular person they've never even seen the movie, and the few that have "didn't get it". So not sure how "over the top" something can be when casual dum-dums aren't getting it.

Edit: I mean, there are MAGA incel chuds who don't get Fight Club or American Beauty or American History X. They take the wrong message that the films are actually skewering. So "over the top" seems hard to imagine with people who can't even understand basic film language.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Edit: I mean, there are MAGA incel chuds who don't get Fight Club or American Beauty or American History X. They take the wrong message that the films are actually skewering. So "over the top" seems hard to imagine with people who can't even understand basic film language.

People are actively not getting that Helldivers 2 is satirical right now, so that tracks. :p 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So true, it's like, "tell me who you are without telling me". :p 

The “it’s not fascism it’s authoritarianism” crowd is really flexing their “technically it’s ephebophilia” muscles. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Homelander is the good guy bro

MAGA incel chuds really are the dumbest.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Amazon’s subversive smash hit has irked some fans with a more overtly political season that dares to position the show’s villain as a Trump stand-in