What are the most beautiful 2d isometric games that are not pixel art/retro?

legend

Context: I saw some discussions about an FF6 remake, and naturally this brought up that Square doesn't think it's possible to do like FF7R because the cast is too huge (and maybe the world too big?). This led to people saying they'd like a 2D remake, which would be more doable.

But the things people were posting were "Like Octopath Traveler" and other pixel art games.

And that just sounds... boring? There are pixel art styles that I enjoy, but that seems way to safe and boring for a bigger scale remake.

That led me to the question in the title: what are currently the most beautiful isometric 2D games that are not pixel art and also not trying to look like a retro game?

For side scroller, there are some real winners like Hollow Knight and Ori. But isometric? Feels like there are fewer.

The best ones that come to my mind right now are:

1. The Pillars of Eternity games

2. Disco Elysium

3. Hades

The fist two happen to use the game engine. While Hades looks great, I'm not sure it would work for an RPG. I'd put something like Tunic on the list, but while that's not pixel art, it still feels like it's trying to be retro and I'd like something 2d that feels more like it's freeing itself from the aesthetics of the past. You can argue that PoE is also trying to be retro of a sort too, but the style they were inspired by leant itself to painted backgrounds that I feel like allows it to update itself more without obviously looking retro.

E.g., PoE 2:

poe2_09.jpg

What others come to mind for you?

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if it's possible to make it work, but it would be interesting to try and do a remake of VI that had the same style as the all the FF cover art/concepts from Yoshitaka Amano. I mean, I know he was also a character design for the games, but the games don't look like this.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm not sure if it's possible to make it work, but it would be interesting to try and do a remake of VI that had the same style as the all the FF cover art/concepts from Yoshitaka Amano. I mean, I know he was also a character design for the games, but the games don't look like this.

It may be doable but Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the excellent anime film) is based on Amano's character designs and that tried hard to emulate it (and it looks beautiful) but I imagine the cost was astronomical. That was back in 2000 and that was an anime film, not a game, but I imagine a game would be even harder to do. Are you saying to do so from an isometric perspective? That'd probably be more possible at least.

• True 1

I gotta say, I'm not really a fan of the art style of Disco Elysium. I just doesn't work for me. I also really don't like the Octopath art style either. I am so over pixel art it is unreal.

Great looking examples ITT. I don't have one that wasn't already mentioned. I mean, there is the Moguri Mod for FF9. Moguri Mod makes me hopeful for a full remake FF game that maintains the classic style. I'd love to play a modern FF in the art style of almost any game mentioned so far.  That PoE 2 screenshot seems exactly what I want FF to take after but with the FF flair. Very slightly more anime, add a floating white glove hand, and you got what I crave.

RlyH1TC.jpeg

PKbObaN.jpg

FSmUYPe.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

ss_169c9432da1079d70ee5cdbdd1b2c72839969

ss_01a87d9ec6cef10244eb5dd8d3f55047060da

NRFTW_Wicked_Inside_Screenshot01-1000x60

ss_4302f82abde85b0d9ee44b6edabc96fc6e401

No Rest for the Wicked seems to be gunning for this title 

Yeah I've definitely got my eye on this one.

9 hours ago, stepee said:

Also The Ascent:

810XBJmOoOL.jpg

This one as been on my wishlist forever, but I never pulled the trigger because the reviews have been indefinitely saying it's buggy as hell with lot's of save corruption issues. Is this resolved yet?

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It may be doable but Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the excellent anime film) is based on Amano's character designs and that tried hard to emulate it (and it looks beautiful) but I imagine the cost was astronomical. That was back in 2000 and that was an anime film, not a game, but I imagine a game would be even harder to do. Are you saying to do so from an isometric perspective? That'd probably be more possible at least.

Yeah I was thinking isometric (other that cuscenes I guess) which might make it easier. But it also seems maybe harder to translate to isometric? Not sure. I'm not an artist, but I wouldn't mind an attempt from someone who is!

• Hype 1

10 hours ago, legend said:

Amano

I knew I was forgetting something. I think Amano's art is bad overall.

He has some solid works like The Nameless Warrior but I despise the Dawntrail art which seems to be slightly based on The Nameless Warrior.

F89wSHqboAAK5fp?format=jpg&name=large

How did that ugly bent sword make it on a product?

The greatest FF Artist is easily Akihito Yoshida.

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_15.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_66.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_45.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_39.jpeg?format=10

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_37.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_28.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_10.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_9.jpg?format=1000

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_11.jpg?format=100

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_19.jpg?format=150

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_22.jpeg?format=10

Art_of_Akihiko_Yoshida_34.jpg?format=100

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stepee said:

Also The Ascent:

810XBJmOoOL.jpg

Came here to say The Ascent.

1 hour ago, legend said:

This one as been on my wishlist forever, but I never pulled the trigger because the reviews have been indefinitely saying it's buggy as hell with lot's of save corruption issues. Is this resolved yet?

I played through it (and the DLC) last year with no issues.

• Thanks 1