Starfield's lead quest designer has some comments on development

Mr.Vic20

I will say although they use a bunch of tired tropes for the main story, their approach to new game plus was somewhat interesting to me. 

Starfield was just so incredibly safe. It’s probably a miracle it ran as well as it did. But man was it just a play it and move on type of experience. 

• True 1

Reading the actual article and it's more like "damn I can't believe we got that final quest done considering all of the obstacles." My sentiments echo the article's writer

As for the final quest itself, when I played it for the first time I didn't come away with the feeling that it had been a last minute scramble, though there were a few things about it I didn't like. 

Starfield is pretty much like the other Bethesda games structurally which leads to its "Safe" feeling that @Paperclyp is talking about, but it's not a bad game and doesn't signify the doom of Bethesda. Just like Fallout and Skyrim, it will always be a game I revisit from time to time. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Reading the actual article and it's more like "damn I can't believe we got that final quest done considering all of the obstacles." My sentiments echo the article's writer

Starfield is pretty much like the other Bethesda games structurally which leads to its "Safe" feeling that @Paperclyp is talking about, but it's not a bad game and doesn't signify the doom of Bethesda. Just like Fallout and Skyrim, it will always be a game I revisit from time to time. 

Skyrim had magic and incredible replayability. Fallout 4 is when things went south. 

• True 1

Starfield, for me, did not have the simple fun magic of of either an ES game or a FO game. It felt somehow overly processed and half baked at the same time. Its not a bad game, its just not a great game. 

• True 2

It's amazing how little I think about this game until someone actually mentions it. It just came and went, left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever. Can't even bring myself to take a little dump on it anymore, it's just so thoroughly uninteresting.

• True 1

7 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I can't watch all of that. But yea, Starfield is a 6 maybe 7/10 type game from a developer that made special games in the past. It's not good....so ES6 is not on my radar anymore. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I can't watch all of that. But yea, Starfield is a 6 maybe 7/10 type game from a developer that made special games in the past. It's not good....so ES6 is not on my radar anymore. 

I was so let down when I played this. They hyped it up so much. It couldn’t capture the magic of Skyrim. Not even close. It’s mid. 7/10 at best. They should have made 1 huge ass planet that was full of exploration like Skyrim. 

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Sounds like a poorly managed mess. Credit to the designer, I didn't think it was thrown together, but I didn't come away impressed by the final mission either.

I didn’t feel the last mission was thrown together, but it felt like every other quest line was, and hastily. The whole game felt like it was built in pieces with little regard for how they would all fit together until near the end of development. As if nobody, even the team leads and their leadership were talking to each other. 

Some context on this article. These quotes were taking from a recent DDC. The point was to discuss the challenges game designers face. To read the title of this somewhat click bait article, you might think a current Bethesda employee was basically saying, LOL we threw this bad boy together, because you know it only takes 5 minutes when you only have 5 minutes! That is not the case, but what was said mirrors points other developers have shared across the industry, pointing to some questionable project management, bad timelines, possible cultural upheaval, and just general business fuckery.

I also just think that frankly, space as the stage for this game, broke with this team's ability to do what they have historically excelled at, namely creating a fun sandbox RPG that just so happens to have a story...kinda. Starfield has a solid game in the bowels of its terrible interplanetary travel system and shyte UI. The scope of it served to dilute the impact of the story rather than enhance it. People are truly afraid for the next Elder Scrolls, but I'm not that worried, aside from the very real possibility that we will likely not see it until 2028. All anyone wants is more, and prettier Skyrim, with a very mod friendly box of code. Bethesda is certainly capable of delivering that! 

I think some of the concern with ES6 is it doesn’t feel like BGS is evolving or improving. It feels like they are still making early 2000s games. Quest design, NPCs, a world so obviously broken up into tiny maps. The shooting feel of weapons is probably the biggest improvement BGS made with Starfield and it’s the one thing we all know will not be in ES6. 

if all you want from ES6 is a prettier Skyrim, then that is fine. Anyone hoping for a title worthy of being a modern day AAA title, I think they are going to be disappointed.