"Project Over" - details from the next mainline Ghost Recon game (Insider Gaming)

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Exclusive details on the upcoming Ghost Recon game currently called 'Project Over' and set in the fictional Naiman War.

Currently, the next Ghost Recon title is aimed to be released in 2025 – 2026 which will see the Ghost Recon franchise head back into a first-person perspective. The game is poised to be a squad-based military tactical shooter – almost milsim-like in nature – that will also take inspiration from some of the leading first-person military games including the Modern Warfare series, Battlefield, Squad, and Ready or Not.

Project Over is set during the Naiman War which is located in a hostile southeast country that has seen hundreds of thousands of people die as a result of war crimes. It’s understood that the plot of the game evolves around the ‘Ghosts’ – your team – infiltrating the warzone to carry out secret missions and to locate a traitor.

The game appears to take heavy inspiration from the Modern Warfare series, with some potential dark or controversial missions and segments. One mission for example shows your squad nearly shooting a man holding a baby – because they thought the baby was a bomb – but they realise this at the last second.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I miss the good old days when Ghost Recon was good. They were some of my first xbl games back in the day. Great memories. 

Ghost Recon: Wildlands is good, it’s one of my favorite open world games.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:58 PM, Phaseknox said:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands is good, it’s one of my favorite open world games.

It was OK, but it's not Ghost Recon. It's 3rd person far-cry with a military/spec-ops plot.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:03 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

You know what they should be taking inspiration from? Fucking Ghost Recon.

So so true. Somewhat encouraged by Ready or Not inspiration, but the other 3 do not impress me. If I wanted to play COD/Battlefield, I'd play COD/Battlefield.

1 minute ago, legend said:

"almost milsim-like in nature", but is inspired by Call of Duty?

Funny GIF

Its like ARMA, but with major aim assist, a plot a 6th grader can follow, and way points so you needn't trouble yourself with tactical considerations when you're poppin' sweet head shots bro! 

• Haha 2

I remember when you used to have to plot a waypoint for your B-squad, but then you had to micromanage them so that they didn't go to point B straight through the armed artillery convoy.

No, motherfuckers, not over the hill! Around the hill. AROUND the hill.

I enjoyed playing GRAW with friends. That was mostly pvp, but I recall there being some

coop missions maybe in GRAW 2. 

Wildlands was definitely fun with friends. 

those were fun games. Dont know that they were typical Ghost Recon, and Im sure Id enjoy them if they were called something else. That’s just it really. i just want Ubisoft to make a fun game. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I enjoyed playing GRAW with friends. That was mostly pvp, but I recall there being some

coop missions maybe in GRAW 2. 

Wildlands was definitely fun with friends. 

those were fun games. Dont know that they were typical Ghost Recon, and Im sure Id enjoy them if they were called something else. That’s just it really. i just want Ubisoft to make a fun game. 

The thing about Ghost Recon is that every two iterations were uniquely different, but still felt the same. They were essentially "GR", then "GR standalone expansion".

Ghost Recon and Island Thunder/Jungle Strike/Desert Siege were the OG slow methodical military sim.

Ghost Recon 2 and GR2 Summit Strike went third person, but was still very much the one shot-one kill, tactical shooter

GRAW1 and GRAW2 went full shaky-cam sim, but the multiplayer still somewhat retained the GR2's co-op and pvp (even if it wasn't as good) 

But then after GRAW2, things kinda went off-track and got... weird.

GR Future Soldier was this weird, cinematic action game, with probably the worst multiplayer of any GR ever.

GR Wildlands was pretty fun, but like others have said, was essentially "Ubisoft: The Game."

I don't even know what the hell GR Breakpoint was, and I put 50+ hours into that game.

Personally, as someone who has followed the series since the beginning, I wish they would take inspiration from the GR2 and GR2 Summit Strike era. That was the point which I think they had the perfect blend of tactics and action. Every mission in that game could be played in co-op with up to 16 people, and we would turn off respawns so that our numbers would slowly be dwindling as the mission went on. To add to the tension, we didn't have party chat at that time, so when someone died, they were booted back to the lobby and no longer participated in the game chat. So they would go silent. What would start out as a fun, rowdy group would slowly get quieter and quieter until it was only a few people left, or you were completely alone in silence. They could watch you, but you couldn't talk to them or hear them, so you were quite literally alone. It was up to you to try to finish the mission. And if you failed, you were greeted by a room full of boos when you were booted back to the lobby with everyone else.

GR2 Summit Strike still stands alone as THE BEST online gaming experience for me. We played that game every night for a good year or so.

THAT is what I want Ubisoft to tap into. But alas, sadly those days will never return.