Mainstream financial press reporting on the "darkening mood" of the videogames industry

These article appeared within the last couple of days:

Game over? Industry suffers slowdown after decades-long winning streak (Financial Times)

The $200bn video games industry is reckoning with its biggest slowdown in 30 years, as the huge growth driven by smartphone gaming and the latest generation of consoles reaches its limits.

Hardware sales are slowing, with Sony cutting its forecast for PlayStation 5 sales this week. Consumer spending on mobile gaming declined last year, down 2 per cent to $107.3bn according to Data.ai, which forecasts low single-digit growth in 2024.

The sense of crisis across the games sector is in sharp contrast to growth achieved during the Covid-19 pandemic, which allowed many locked-down consumers to spend their excess time and money on games. That peak marked the culmination of a winning streak for the digital entertainment business that began with the original PlayStation in the mid-1990s and was accelerated further by Apple’s iPhone.

Many in the gaming industry expected it to bounce back quickly after 2022’s post-pandemic decline, but last year did not deliver the growth they hoped for.

The latest quarterly numbers from some of the biggest publishers, including Electronic Arts and Take Two, has underwhelmed investors. Meanwhile, games developers have been forced to cut thousands more jobs this year after already slashing as many as 10,000 in 2023.

“There’s a lot of commercial anxiety: about growth, about profitability, about keeping budgets in check and about making an impact in the market when there are so many established products,” said Piers Harding-Rolls, games research director at Ampere Analysis, a market researcher. “We are in a much slower growth era.”

After the PlayStation 5 surpassed 50mn units in December, Hiroki Totoki, Sony’s group president and interim head of its gaming unit, said this week that it was “entering the latter half of the console cycle . . . so we anticipate a gradual decline in unit sales from next fiscal year onwards”.

Heavy discounting of the PS5 in 2023 has already contributed to what Totoki called a “significant” drop in Sony’s gaming operating profits. He warned that Sony does “not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles” in the fiscal year starting in April, depriving it of any boost from bankable, big-budget games such as Spider-Man or God of War.

Cutting prices is a double-edged sword. The huge popularity of free-to-play online games such as Fortnite and Roblox consumes hours of playtime that had previously been spent on $70 titles. The strong network effects of multiplayer games, such as Call of Duty, also make it harder for new entrants to succeed. “Thousands of titles are hitting every month and the success rate is very low,” he said. “You’re faced with significant challenges in trying to break new product into the market.”

The rising costs of developing blockbuster games has also raised the stakes. “When you’re talking about a budget that’s $100mn plus, even for a big company, if you miss with two or three of those then commercially you’re on the ropes,” Harding-Rolls said.

WWW.CNBC.COM

Around $10 billion of value was wiped off Sony's stock this week after it cut its sales forecast for its flagship PlayStation 5 console for the fiscal year.

Around $10 billion of value was wiped off Sony’s stock last week, after the Japanese tech giant cut its sales forecast for its flagship PlayStation 5 console for the fiscal year.

Analysts, who already thought Sony’s PS5 target was too lofty, told CNBC a bigger issue for the company are its declining margins in its key gaming business.

Sony this week announced it now expects to sell 21 million units of the PS5 in the fiscal year ending in March, compared with a previous forecast of 25 million units.

The company’s shares fell after the announcement, with around $10 billion of value wiped off the stock since the forecast cut, according to a CNBC calculation using FactSet data.

But analysts were watching another key metric — the operating margin in the gaming business — which came in just under 6% for the December quarter, according to a CNBC calculation. By contrast, Sony’s operating margin was more than 9% in the December quarter of 2022.

“The shipment forecast cut for PS5 ... is not what is disappointing ... What is disappointing is the low level” of operating margin, Atul Goyal, equity analyst at Jefferies, said in a note to clients on Wednesday.

He added that prior to the January-to-March quarter of 2022, margins at the gaming unit were around 12% to 13% in the previous four years.

The latest quarter’s single-digit margin for Sony is present “despite various tailwinds that should have driven up the margins towards 20%,” Goyal said, adding that the situation is “extremely disappointing.”

“Their rev (revenue) on digital sales, add-on-content, digital-downloads are at all time highs… And yet their margins are at decade-lows. This is just not acceptable,” Goyal said in an email to CNBC.

Goyal qualified that the current margin for Sony’s gaming business is “almost near decade lows.”

The analyst questioned how, with all of these higher-margin products, the gaming division’s operating margin has remained so depressed.

The "operating margin problem" speaks directly to the need for development cost control which I have no idea how to achieve when a "graphical arms race" exists.

As for Nintendo, this really isn't unexpected given the very credible reports of the Switch Sequel's release being postponed to early 2025:

WWW.CNBC.COM

Nintendo shares fell nearly 6% after a report said the launch of the Switch 2, the next version of its flagship gaming console, would be delayed until 2025.

Shares of Nintendo fell on Monday after a report suggested the launch of the Switch 2, the next version of its flagship gaming console, would be delayed.

Nintendo’s stock in Japan closed 5.84% lower.

Bloomberg reported on Saturday that Nintendo had told game publishers that the Switch 2 would be delayed until the early months of 2025, citing people with knowledge of the matter.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mainstream financial press reporting on the "darkening mood" of the videogames industry

Nintendo’s shares falling because of a Switch 2 delay is entirely their fault for trying to milk the Switch waaaaaay beyond when they should have released a successor. They got greedy and bet they could keep it going longer than then they should. 2020 gave them a false sense of where the market was going to be in 2 years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Nintendo’s shares falling because of a Switch 2 delay is entirely their fault for trying to milk the Switch waaaaaay beyond when they should have released a successor. They got greedy and bet they could keep it going longer than then they should. 2020 gave them a false sense of where the market was going to be in 2 years. 

That's correct, but their situation (primarily hardware-related)  appears to be of a different cut that Sony's which is more centered around its declining operating margins rather than the expected miss on PS5 hardware sales.

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

If they had reduced prices on their hardware, as we have historically seen in the console lifecycle -- then their sales would probably be much higher.

The price for a Switch OLED is insane for how dated the tech is.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's correct, but their situation (primarily hardware-related)  appears to be of a different cut that Sony's which is more centered around its declining operating margins rather than the expected miss on PS5 hardware sales.

For Sony it probably isnt helped by how much more expensive AAA gaming has become, needing bigger and bigger teams just to make 1 game. Even Sony’s first party output has slowed dramatically. @AbsolutSurgen makes a good point about many gamers just spending time in F2P games. But I also wonder if Sony put too many SW eggs into the live service basket and now the bubble has kind of burst. Especially where nobody wants to see their big single player studios making love service games. Years of work just abandoned. Time that could have been spent on the next billion dollar franchise. 

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If they had reduced prices on their hardware, as we have historically seen in the console lifecycle -- then their sales would probably be much higher.

The price for a Switch OLED is insane for how dated the tech is.

Probably would have been a bit higher, but maybe not so much that it would make sense.  Certainly not when compared to the impact of the Switch Lite as a low entry model.

Look at their game prices and their meager discounts.  No one is saying they’re fools for charging what they do.

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

For Sony it probably isnt helped by how much more expensive AAA gaming has become, needing bigger and bigger teams just to make 1 game. Even Sony’s first party output has slowed dramatically. @AbsolutSurgen makes a good point about many gamers just spending time in F2P games. But I also wonder if Sony put too many SW eggs into the live service basket and now the bubble has kind of burst. Especially where nobody wants to see their big single player studios making love service games. Years of work just abandoned. Time that could have been spent on the next billion dollar franchise. 

Sony is in very much a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation" in regard to a live-service games strategy.

They probably (definitely?) missed the boat on in executing an effective live-service games strategy, but that strategy and its (theoretically) consistent revenue stream is/was necessary to offset the skyrocketing development costs of their single-player campaign-oriented, third-person, action/adventure titles that they've become renowned for.

I really, really don't envy any anyone at Sony who has been tasked to untangle this developmental Gordian knot.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

All of the kids I know (mostly friends of my kids, or kids of friends) play lots of videogames.  None of them play on consoles -- mostly PCs or tablets.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Probably would have been a bit higher, but maybe not so much that it would make sense.  Certainly not when compared to the impact of the Switch Lite being a low entry model.

Look at their game prices and their meager discounts.  No one is saying they’re fools for charging what they do.

If given the choice of a PS5 at C$540 or a Switch at C$450 -- the $100 walk is easy to make.  C$450 is also hard to swallow as something you buy for younger kids -- particularly with the rise of things like Roblox.  A lower price point on hardware brings people into the Nintendo ecosystem to spend the money on games.

Everyone assumes that Switch 2 will be a huge success -- and I suspect it will be with core gamers.  I don't know if Nintendo is still bringing in enough younger gamers to keep their traditional market.  The rise of FTP gaming targeted at kids over the last 4-5 years has been astounding.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

All of the kids I know (mostly friends of my kids, or kids of friends) play lots of videogames.  None of them play on consoles -- mostly PCs or tablets.

If given the choice of a PS5 at C$540 or a Switch at C$450 -- the $100 walk is easy to make.  C$450 is also hard to swallow as something you buy for younger kids -- particularly with the rise of things like Roblox.  A lower price point on hardware brings people into the Nintendo ecosystem to spend the money on games.

Everyone assumes that Switch 2 will be a huge success -- and I suspect it will be with core gamers.  I don't know if Nintendo is still bringing in enough younger gamers to keep their traditional market.  The rise of FTP gaming targeted at kids over the last 4-5 years has been astounding.

Very interesting thoughts. 

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not if the person is buying it for Nintendo exclusives, or prioritizes a child friendly ecosystem.  The Switch doesn’t even have an internet browser.

I don’t think Nintendo competes in a vacuum, but this is an area where an apples to apples comparison with more powerful consoles, largely marketed on M-rated games and released well after the Switch launched, just doesn’t work.

And arguably, there’s never been more of a reason to own a Nintendo something with Sony and Microsoft’s attitudes towards exclusivity shifting.  PC + Nintendo appears to be the most sound choice right now.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Not if the person is buying it for Nintendo exclusives, or prioritizes a child friendly ecosystem.  The Switch doesn’t even have an internet browser.

Nintendo exclusives are a big thing for adults with nostalgia.

Kids are happy to play anything.

Given the low price of tablets today, IMHO $550 is a hard pill to swallow when you can give your kid a tablet and have them download cheap apps.

Or, sit them down in front of a computer and play Roblox for free.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think Nintendo competes in a vacuum, but this is an area where an apples to apples comparison with more powerful consoles largely marketed on M-rated games, released well after the Switch launched, just doesn’t work.

Purchasing decisions are frequently made for the family by a HoH -- relative value is always looked at for everything. 

There are LOTS of choices for gaming available for kids that weren't as popular 5-10 years ago.  There are lots of families with kids of various ages -- or parents that share the console with their kids.

The Switch is immensely popular with a group of core-gaming adults.  I just don't know if it is still bringing in many new kids.  Hardware sales are down 43% from 2021.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Nintendo exclusives are a big thing for adults with nostalgia.

Kids are happy to play anything.

Given the low price of tablets today, IMHO $550 is a hard pill to swallow when you can give your kid a tablet and have them download cheap apps.

Or, sit them down in front of a computer and play Roblox for free.

This argument was used against Nintendo when the 3DS launched.

The Switch decisively dispelled the idea that they would fade into irrelevancy with the rise of smart phones and tablets.  If Switch costs were a hard pill to swallow, Nintendo wouldn’t be succeeding and thriving.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Purchasing decisions are frequently made for the family by a HoH -- relative value is always looked at for everything. 

There are LOTS of choices for gaming available for kids that weren't as popular 5-10 years ago.  There are lots of families with kids of various ages -- or parents that share the console with their kids.

The Switch is immensely popular with a group of core-gaming adults.  I just don't know if it is still bringing in many new kids.  Hardware sales are down 43% from 2021.

Sort of like asking why Disney is still relevant to kids today.  Bringing new kids in is at the core of their buisness, and they make moves to ensure they’re part of the conversation and public consciousness.

And any platform that sells as well as Switch is going to slow down eventually.  How long has it been now?

• True 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was listening to the Nextlander podcast from a couple weeks ago and they were talking about (Vinny and Will Smith) how kids are mostly playing on PC as well and there are a lot of kids just asking for PCs. And that they are using Mouse and keyboard like god intended.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was listening to the Nextlander podcast from a couple weeks ago and they were talking about (Vinny and Will Smith) how kids are mostly playing on PC as well and there are a lot of kids just asking for PCs. And that they are using Mouse and keyboard like god intended.

I suspect alot of this has to do with influencers/streamers that prefer to play on PC, and games also on PC have a longer viewing life than console exclusives. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Good, typing skills are important!

Imagine when that becomes a plus on a resume.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My son even plays Rocket League with a mouse and keyboard -- its really bizarre.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:
MYNINTENDONEWS.COM

Nintendo is currently the richest company in The Land of the Rising Sun with an exorbitant 1.7186 trillion yen which is around $11.44 billion. This new data is according to Toyo...

I got a bit of a chuckle out of that metric because it's a rather meaningless one from an overall financial analysis standpoint (cash on hand minus debt) :p

• True 2

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My kids have complete access to my Steam Library (including teenage boys of 14-16).  They, and their friends, prefer to spend most of their time playing FTP games -- Roblox, Rocket League, etc.

Same with my nephew. I gave him one of my old Xboxes and I pay for a seperate Gamepass Ultimate sub for him and his cousins. All they play is Roblox and Fortnite with the occasional Ass. Creed thrown in.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

One could argue that this much cash suggests poor cash management.

It’s always been that way for Nintendo if I’m mistaken, going back to Yamauchi.  They’d rather sit on cash to weather storms.  Maybe because their business is not as diversified as their competitors.

If this story is even remotely accurate, then it pretty much encapsulates everything that's broken in the gaming industry:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The upcoming return of Crazy Taxi will be a "AAA" game, Sega has said. Sega first announced it was making a long-awaite…

There is simply no universe in which Crazy Taxi should be budgeted as an "AAA" title.

• True 1
  • Halal 2