The Brothers Sun (Netflix, starring Michelle Yeoh) is really freakin' dope and you should watch it

I'm on the fifth episode of this comedy/drama (much more comedy than drama!) involving a Taiwanese crime family whose matriarch (Michelle Yeoh) lives with her younger son in L.A. and I gotta say that it's thoroughly damned entertaining with some pretty sweet hand-to-hand combat sequences.  The show definitely ain't "high art" and many of the plot elements are pretty predictable, but that in no way detracts from just how freakin' FUN the overall experience well and truly is!

When the head of a powerful Taiwanese triad is shot by a mysterious assassin, his eldest son, Charles (Justin Chien) heads to Los Angeles to protect his mother, Eileen (Michelle Yeoh), and his naive younger brother, Bruce (Sam Song Li) — who’s been completely sheltered from the truth of his family until now.

But as Taipei’s deadliest societies and a new rising faction go head-to-head for dominance — Charles and Bruce must figure out what brotherhood and family truly means before someone takes them out.

• Thanks 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Brothers Sun (Netflix, starring Michelle Yeoh) is really freakin' dope and you should watch it
  • 1 month later...

JC. I didn't even know about this to give it a shot and Netflix already canceled it? They're their own worst fucking enemies I swear.

Does the series end on a possible conclusion or is it obviously incomplete?

4 minutes ago, legend said:

JC. I didn't even know about this to give it a shot and Netflix already canceled it? They're their own worst fucking enemies I swear.

Does the series end on a possible conclusion or is it obviously incomplete?

It’s mostly concluded but has an open ending to allow more.

This show had basically zero advertising, so of course no one heard about and streaming numbers weren’t high. Super annoying.

Looks like Obliterated was also cancelled.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh goddamnit.

DEADLINE.COM

Netflix will not be proceeding with a second season of The Brothers Sun, the action comedy-drama from Glee co-creator Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu.

I haven't had a Netflix sub since the last season of Stranger Things (and won't until the next) they cancel the good stuff way too often for me to bother getting invested.