Renegade Ops: NEW favorite game on the ROG Ally

HardAct

NEW FAVORITE on Ally, but it's an OLD GAME!

I gave up on this game on Steam Deck as you have to jump through lots of hoops to get it to run. Installing Protontrixs, etc so I gave up about 6 months ago.

I then remembered it and thought it should run at least as it's w11 so I installed it on the Ally. It runs perfectly as it should as its not very taxing I would imagine. This is a really fun game twin stick shooter and I'm glad I gave it another look on the ROG Ally. Check it out if you own it, or buy it maybe if you don't. It's a blast!

It was $3.50 with the dlc and I like getting stuff to run that doesn’t normally so I got it, set it up, and played a bit on the deck! It does seem like a very good arcadey Mercs/Jungle Strike combo sorta thing with tons of destruction. I never played this before, good random shout out.

Yeah, looks like it still requires protontricks, but apparently runs at a solid 60 on Deck once set up.

According to the most recent ProtonDB post:

The game will not work at all without the Protontricks fix (black screen at launch). Tutorial for those who haven't used Protontricks before:

1. In desktop mode, search for and install Protontricks from the Discover store, then launch it.
  2. Select Renegade Ops from the app list > OK.
  3. "Select the default wineprefix" > OK.
  4. "Install a Windows DLL or component > OK.
  5. Tick the checkboxes for d3dcompiler_43 and d3dcompiler_47 > OK.
  6. When the next window appears, you're finished. Click the 'X' in the top right corner to close out Protontricks, then return to gaming mode.

Maybe I'll set it up. I got it when it came out and it seemed cool, but I dropped it very quickly for a reason I can't remember, and have totally forgotten about it until now.

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, looks like it still requires protontricks, but apparently runs at a solid 60 on Deck once set up.

According to the most recent ProtonDB post:

Maybe I'll set it up. I got it when it came out and it seemed cool, but I dropped it very quickly for a reason I can't remember, and have totally forgotten about it until now.

It looks like the protontricks  gui doesn’t launch by default from Discover so use this guide:

I just did it all from Konsole. It said it didn’t have access to my sd card but gave a full command to run in Konsole so I copied that command then ran it after the script finished and then ran through the process again and it worked - forced Proton 7.0 in compatibility.

And it was running a perfect 90fps!

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Hm? Protontricks has always launched for me. Takes about 30 seconds to pop up a window for some reason, but works every time. Just memorized those steps and did them while on the toilet, game runs flawlessly!

I’ll admit I read that before I even tried it! Yeah it runs great and looks real nice on the oled (and is fun!)