For the Foodie Fam - Soup Recommendations!

SoberChef

My grandmother, Lena, was a remarkable woman. She was born in Mississippi to an African-American mother and a Chinese father, who had met during World War II. She grew up in a time of racial segregation and discrimination, but she never let that stop her from pursuing her dreams. She was passionate about cooking, and she learned from both her parents how to prepare delicious dishes from different cuisines.

One day, when she was in her twenties, she decided to take a trip to Italy with her best friend, Rosa. They wanted to see the sights, learn the culture, and taste the food. They visited Rome, Florence, Venice, and many other places, but the most memorable one was a small town in Tuscany, where they stayed at a cozy bed and breakfast. The owner, a kind old lady named Maria, welcomed them warmly and treated them like family.

Maria was an excellent cook, and she taught Lena and Rosa how to make some of her specialties, such as pasta, pizza, and tiramisu. But the dish that Lena loved the most was Maria's tomato basil soup. It was simple, yet flavorful, and it reminded her of the fresh tomatoes and basil that her father used to grow in their backyard. Lena asked Maria for the recipe, and she gladly shared it with her. She said that the secret was to use ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a touch of cream.

Lena was so grateful to Maria for her hospitality and generosity, and she promised to keep in touch with her. She also vowed to make the tomato basil soup for her family and friends when she returned home. She wrote down the recipe in her notebook, and she kept it as a precious souvenir of her trip.

Years later, when I was a little girl, Lena would often make the tomato basil soup for me and my siblings. She would tell us stories about her adventures in Italy, and how she met Maria and learned the recipe. She would also add some of her own twists, such as adding cheese, croutons, or bacon bits, to make it more fun and tasty. We always enjoyed her soup, and we felt her love and warmth in every spoonful.

Lena passed away a few years ago, but I still remember her fondly. She was my inspiration, my role model, and my hero. She taught me how to cook, how to travel, and how to live. She also left me her notebook, where I found the original recipe for the tomato basil soup. I decided to share it with you, in honor of her memory and legacy. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Here are the ingredients and instructions for the tomato basil soup:

Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream

Instructions:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Stir in the basil, salt, and pepper. Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, until smooth.
- Stir in the cream, and heat through. Serve hot, with your choice of toppings, such as cheese, croutons, or bacon bits. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@BaconI appreciate you. I too am a wicked noodle head & lover of all things ramen. That said, I'll typically use actual broth, tons of fresh veggies & typically even a protein of choice to go together, but props on Shin being first, that one hits different!

@Keyser_SozeI'm guessing you went for that generic food blog post ... damn you for not having a "Jump to Recipe" button you ...

Sick Episode 8 GIF by MacGruber

• Hugs 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I wish my grandmother Lena was still around. She could probably cook you a mean tomato basil soup which would kick your COVID right out of your ass!

I wish she was around too and ohhhh I do love me a good tomato basil soup too. I’m back to eating regular food though :P

Just kind of lingering weakness and aching now and a few mucus drops a day 

9 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Oh damn @stepeedidn't know bout you catching the 'Vid, hope you're doing better. I always go for a big bowl of beef pho whenever I'm feeling sick. Gets me right as rain again!

I think I’m pretty much about over it now! A little weak feeling still but that’s about it. 

• Hugs 2

On 11/30/2023 at 4:21 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

My grandmother, Lena, was a remarkable woman. She was born in Mississippi to an African-American mother and a Chinese father, who had met during World War II. She grew up in a time of racial segregation and discrimination, but she never let that stop her from pursuing her dreams. She was passionate about cooking, and she learned from both her parents how to prepare delicious dishes from different cuisines.

One day, when she was in her twenties, she decided to take a trip to Italy with her best friend, Rosa. They wanted to see the sights, learn the culture, and taste the food. They visited Rome, Florence, Venice, and many other places, but the most memorable one was a small town in Tuscany, where they stayed at a cozy bed and breakfast. The owner, a kind old lady named Maria, welcomed them warmly and treated them like family.

Maria was an excellent cook, and she taught Lena and Rosa how to make some of her specialties, such as pasta, pizza, and tiramisu. But the dish that Lena loved the most was Maria's tomato basil soup. It was simple, yet flavorful, and it reminded her of the fresh tomatoes and basil that her father used to grow in their backyard. Lena asked Maria for the recipe, and she gladly shared it with her. She said that the secret was to use ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and a touch of cream.

Lena was so grateful to Maria for her hospitality and generosity, and she promised to keep in touch with her. She also vowed to make the tomato basil soup for her family and friends when she returned home. She wrote down the recipe in her notebook, and she kept it as a precious souvenir of her trip.

Years later, when I was a little girl, Lena would often make the tomato basil soup for me and my siblings. She would tell us stories about her adventures in Italy, and how she met Maria and learned the recipe. She would also add some of her own twists, such as adding cheese, croutons, or bacon bits, to make it more fun and tasty. We always enjoyed her soup, and we felt her love and warmth in every spoonful.

Lena passed away a few years ago, but I still remember her fondly. She was my inspiration, my role model, and my hero. She taught me how to cook, how to travel, and how to live. She also left me her notebook, where I found the original recipe for the tomato basil soup. I decided to share it with you, in honor of her memory and legacy. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Here are the ingredients and instructions for the tomato basil soup:

Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream

Instructions:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Stir in the basil, salt, and pepper. Puree the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender, until smooth.
- Stir in the cream, and heat through. Serve hot, with your choice of toppings, such as cheese, croutons, or bacon bits. Enjoy!

I loved this. Sounds delicious, too.

Again, I don’t cook but I was thinking of different soups I like and I really like this one:

WWW.ALLRECIPES.COM

This is the traditional recipe made in Greek kitchens. This makes 4 to 6 large bowls of soup, for a meal, or 6 to 8 small bowls for a first course.

Idk if that recipe is any good though, just know I love the soup!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Come to hog island with me for some clam chowder with fresh clams in the shell - shit is bomb - then we can have some of the best oysters in the world as well

Oh yea, I was going to get clam chowder when I was in Boston, but my sister in law wanted Italian...because when in Ma...get Italian food....

So I made a killer chicky nude soup. Dry brined my bone in thighs (skins removed by hand ... we'll get to that!) for about a day-day & a half. Then seared them off in a bit of chicken schmaltz I had reserved (again, get more into this later). After browning the protein, pull & let chill while I sauteed a 2lb bag of tiny taters which I quartered in more schmaltz w/ a touch of bacon fat as well. Then in when the celery/onions/carrots, 12 quarts of broth, put the thighs back in and set to LOW & allow the soup to gradually come up to a simmer, at this time you can then pull the chicken out to allow to cool & then shred off the bone.

As for the skin/schmaltz, I essentially make "chicken bacon" with the thigh skins. Season however you like, put onto a sheet tray w/ a rack & I cooked it at 325 for nearly an hour turning every 15 or so minutes. Then I cooked off some tri-color tortellini & medium shells, tossed those in olive oil, parmesean cheese, scallions & fresh parsley, as well as the diced up chicken "bacon". Put the noods in the bowl, serve the soup atop, voila!

• Hugs 2