Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" Official Thread - Season 2 release date: 1 Sept 2023

@Kal-El814 I agree with a good chunk of everything you said. I was absolutely crushed with how disappointing the finale was given that I loved the entirety of the rest of the season. Up until that point I was on board with basically every single change they made. They were being so smart. 

That being said, everyone I know that hasn’t read the books really enjoyed the finale so I decided to watch it again with lowered expectations. And while I didn’t love it, I was able to appreciate it a bit more. 

The one thing I loved no matter what was the casting of an actor to play The Dark One. Brilliant, and the guy the picked seems fantastic. He gives off a bit of that Gabriel Byrne/Al Pacino as the devil sort of vibe. 

The final confrontation was beyond disappointing but given the struggles they said they had with CGI and Covid I can understand that recreating the book finale would have been basically impossible. I still would have liked it to be a bit more dramatic though. 

I still hate how they won the battle in the gap to my core. That was fucking stupid from every angle. They could have figured out a way to tie to Rand. 

The horn being under the thrown. Sure, whatever. Would have been bette to have it at the Eye but I get why they changed it so whatever. Loial being stabbed off screen was a waste. That was the perfect thing to build even more massive heat on Fain. Show him doing it if you’re gonna go that route. 

Moraine being cut off? I despised that on first viewing but I’m assuming she gets it back right away in S2 and it shows how powerful the Dark One is. I’m on the fence till I see how it’s addressed in S2. 

Im also willing to give them a bit of a pass given that Mat left the show after Ep6 and that has to have fucked up their plans for the last two episodes. 

Moraines height and the distance to the eye I don’t have issue with 😂

I think it’s pretty universal that the show was really good overall and they did a fantastic job adapting the source but that it absolutely needs to be 10 episodes. There’s too much in those books to handcuff yourself to just 8. 

Im hoping Amazon ups their budget but even if they don’t. S1 of these types of shows is always the most expensive and if the budget stays the same S2 should look like it got an increase. 

Still super excited for S2, just wish they’d stuck the landing more like Witcher did. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

We all mean

Reveal hidden contents

Right?

Haha yes that’s who I mean. 

And I agree that the Blight looked fantastic. I guess they actually built the blight as a set and it was about as long  as a football field. I think them

embracing the use of practical effects/make up/sets when possible goes a long way in how good the show feels. 

On 12/29/2021 at 5:25 PM, Kal-El814 said:

We all mean

Hide contents

Ishamael

Right?

I was wondering if I was going crazy or misremembering while reading through this that you guys weren't using his name. It is a book spoiler though so it makes sense.

Definitely enjoyed the first season. There were some misses absolutely and I agreed with a lot of what was said so far. But overall I'm very pleased with how its going and think a lot of the changes they made are better than the books.

I feel like right now the show is on a knife's edge, it could go one way where they're changing just enough to still be the same story from the books and on the other they're going to swing wildly and tell another story. The Dragon being split into four is the one bit thrown in that has me concerned, and I'm not sure I would like that change at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to watch this. I really don't like some of the changes to the story. I realize things need to be cut for TV, but a lot of the changes aren't cuts, just outright changes for no reason.

Right away, they make it seem like Saidin and Saidar are one thig. "When you touch it, you make it fil

thy"? What? No  thats not how that works, they are separate powers.  Its just a bad change that can only snowball down the line. 

Nynaeve straight tries to murder Lan. Nynaeve isn't a murderer, she's the exact opposite of that. 

Buening out Moiraine? Wtf? 

Spoiler

Nynaeve doesn't learn to heal that for like 9 books. She can't even reliably channel for almost half the story.

Perrin having a wife, then killing her (even accidentally)? Wtf.

It just reeks of changes that will snowball down the line and change the story too much. Like Judkins thinks he can do a better job than Jordan did, or something. He definitely can't.

I seriously hope the new Mat is better than this one was. I disliked him from episode 1. I never disliked Mat, he was one of my favorite characters.

And then that final episode. Wow! What terrible trash. 😢 

Im not sure im interested in s2 at this point. But if the public enjoys it, good for them I guess. Seems it wasn't made for longtime fans. Like I said, cuts obviously need to be made, but these changes feel he wanted to use the WoT, but not tell its story. 

• 6 months later...
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" Official Thread - Season 3 greenlit
2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The first season had plenty of issues but there was still plenty good there IMO. Certainly enough to give it a go in a second season with more budget, planning, and logistics taken into account.

Agreed. There is some genuinely great stuff in that first season. Basically everything with Moiraine and Lan. And to be fair it was building and building to a really great spot and fell off the rails with the two post Covid episodes were they had to pivot becasue Matt left. Hopefully now that they’ve got all the set up out of the way and a full production cycle to settle back in they can get it back on track. 

11 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The first season had plenty of issues but there was still plenty good there IMO. Certainly enough to give it a go in a second season with more budget, planning, and logistics taken into account.

They ruined the whole series for me when they made the One Power a single force, instead of two halves of the power, and making Moiraine the lead. 

Spoiler

Moiraine isn't even in half of the books, she's incredibly important to the story, but not nearly as important as rand, matt, and perrin.

And then theres Perrin's ridiculous backstory. 

Just so much that causes long term fundamental problems with the future of the story. 

The whole book series is a treatise on the differences and between men and women, wrapped in the trappings of a fantasy series. They made it inherently worse by straying so far from the source material.

I think im done with it. Theres no way for me to separate it from the book series I love.

My issue isn’t with the changes from book, although some are unnecessary and quite annoying. That could all be overcome. I simply did not connect with most of the characters at all. It felt generic and forced. As bad As GoT ends, watch a few episodes of season 1 and see what it feels like to have great characters the audience is pulled to and pacing that allows that connection.

They need more episodes to let the show breath, at least 10 episodes a season. They may also need new writers, directors, and actors (seriously, we shall see how season 2 does).

I know I kind of defended the show as I was watching, but after digesting it, I kind of barfed a bit. :P

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Massdriver said:

My issue isn’t with the changes from book, although some are unnecessary and quite annoying. That could all be overcome. I simply did not connect with most of the characters at all. It felt generic and forced. As bad As GoT ends, watch a few episodes of season 1 and see what it feels like to have great characters the audience is pulled to and pacing that allows that connection.

They need more episodes to let the show breath, at least 10 episodes a season. They may also need new writers, directors, and actors (seriously, we shall see how season 2 does).

I know I kind of defended the show as I was watching, but after digesting it, I kind of barfed a bit. :P

There was a lot of things I liked about the first season including the actors but you are right it needed 2 more episodes everything felt rushed and it needed more time to slow down and connect with the characters.

2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

There was a lot of things I liked about the first season including the actors but you are right it needed 2 more episodes everything felt rushed and it needed more time to slow down and connect with the characters.

I generally liked season 1 and I agree 100%. Everything with the kids felt way too rushed and then everything fell apart in Episode 7/8. I was 100% on board with every change they made up until the finale. But I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how season 2 plays out. 

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean the only way they have a fucking prayer of "finishing" is by rushing the absolute bejeezus out of everything.

Well there’s also a fair amount of filler crap that inflates the length and number of those books. They still need closer to 8-10 seasons vs 5/6 but they could do it 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Well there’s also a fair amount of filler crap that inflates the length and number of those books. They still need closer to 8-10 seasons vs 5/6 but they could do it 

God willing they'll introduce Faile Bashere and she'll immediately fall into an open manhole that's there for no reason.

• 2 months later...

New Matt looks close enough. I’ve already forgotten the old one anyway haha. 

Despite my complete and utter hatred of the finale. I did really enjoy the show. Hoping they can slow down to take a breath and take the next step in season 2. Rings of Power pretty much moved the bar for Fantasy TV to the moon though so we’ll see how this holds up. 

• 7 months later...
  • GeneticBlueprint changed the title to Amazon Studios - "The Wheel of Time" Official Thread - Season 2 release date: 1 Sept 2023

Im cautiously optimistic. I think Covid derailed S1 hard. The first 8(?) episodes were really solid. Great adaptation? Not really, but solid in the own world they were building. Then Covid delayed the final two episodes of the show, the actor playing Matt was fired and they CLEARLY had some kind of rewrite to get around him not being there. Those last two episodes felt so off compared so the first bunch completed before the Covid break. Sooooo with an uninterrupted S2 I’m hoping they can get it back on track. At the end of the day the more high budget fantasy we get the better haha

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...