Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Robocop actually runs okay at 30fps with some drops in firefights (low, ssr reflections, 70% render) - I certainly wouldn’t pick playing on here over a console because it’s such a current gen show off game but it’s more promising for handheld UE5 than I thought for deck/switch 2. Layers of Fear runs fine at 40fps, but that is not so demanding but does look very nice.. Remnant 2 and Immortals…I don’t think I even want to see tho lol (they barely run on ROG even when plugged in)..but I’m glad those two don’t mean UE5 isn’t going to scale at all. 

How about Jusant?

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

How about Jusant?

I’m deciding if I want to buy it to have it pure handheld or just moonlight it from gamepass :P

It runs fantastic on ROG, I’m confident it runs fine at 30fps here. 

Edit: That is actually fully deck verified, so yeah it’ll run well.

I'm surprised people even try to play current gen AAA stuff. This for me is catching up on my 12,000 indie games, last-gen games and unlimited JRPGs. Plus emulation. I'm not sure I'd want to engage with AAA titles on a handheld even if I could, though the option would be nice. Scenes are just too densely packed with too much fine detail that it feels hard to scope out the entire image on a handheld, hence why I feel like a certain set of games just suits handheld better.

Like Half-Life 1!

• True 2

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Got emudeck set up and most of my roms over besides ps2 and wii/gc as those folders will each takes a couple hours to transfer to micro sd so Ill do them in two other phases.

I’ve really wanted a good oled emulation device - these games look so much better on oled but also having those pure black borders is key on 4:3 games. I can’t BELIEVE Nintendo never offered an option to turn borders off on the Switch VC stuff. Speaking of, the gigantic 7.4” display also really helps them still be large while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. 

I have to admit, I'm seriously thinking about making this an emulation machine.

• Hype 1

46 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm surprised people even try to play current gen AAA stuff. This for me is catching up on my 12,000 indie games, last-gen games and unlimited JRPGs. Plus emulation. I'm not sure I'd want to engage with AAA titles on a handheld even if I could, though the option would be nice. Scenes are just too densely packed with too much fine detail that it feels hard to scope out the entire image on a handheld, hence why I feel like a certain set of games just suits handheld better.

I'm right there with you. As I've said in this thread and the other thread I think Steam Deck is a great device to play games you would otherwise not bother to fire up on your desktop. I want to see games like Elden Ring on a big screen and lock myself in. Puzzle game, visual novels and stuff like that are really good on the deck. Even Mr. Driller or Intelligent Qube through emulation is fun.

But I can understand the appeal of seeing how good a really huge game would run on a small device, especially on the OLED.

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I used this guide to clone my SSD to a USB stick (as my Deck and new SSD weren't here yet) and then cloned that USB drive to my new SSD in my PC when it showed up, as my Deck arrived last. Worked flawlessly. Swapped my SSD before I ever even turned on the new Deck and it booted into SteamOS no problem. Apparently there's a DD command you can use to clone your drive from Linux, but I didn't know about that at the time and while it seems faster and somewhat reliable, I have noticed at least one person having issues with that method. I can't say myself as I have no experience with it.

And after reading several pages of little nancy boys fumbling around and complaining about how "hard" it was to change the SSD in their Steam Deck OLED (on Reset Era), I actually just made my first (and probably only) how-to video using my phone taped up on my monitor like a real redneck. Quality ain't HD but it'll show you the process from start to finish.

Is there a practical reason to do this over going with SD card storage? As someone who gutted his DualShocks to get batteries that didn't blow in there just so I could fuss with cords slightly less often, I appreciate if the answer is yes... just curious!

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is there a practical reason to do this over going with SD card storage? As someone who gutted his DualShocks to get batteries that didn't blow in there just so I could fuss with cords slightly less often, I appreciate if the answer is yes... just curious!

SD card is much slower.

HZDLoadTImes-2048x1152.png

• Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Y’all turned @best3444 into a handheld gamer. Maybe he will like his Switch now. 

My switch is broken. Plus the technology and feel of the controller in handheld is not even in the same league as the OLED steam deck. Plus the visuals look basically like I'm playing a PS5 game on my screen. I'm blown away by this thing.

I stayed up until 3am last night playing RE4 Remake for the moody atmosphere and it looks and plays so well. The controls are better than a standard controller imo. It's easier to aim and the overall controls are really tight.

I played Elden Ring yesterday too and it looked just like the next gen console versions. This shit is crazy. This is finally the handheld I've been waiting for in years.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I stayed up until 3am last night playing RE4 Remake for the moody atmosphere and it looks and plays so well. The controls are better than a standard controller imo. It's easier to aim and the overall controls are really tight.

You could probably use the trackpads for more precise aiming in that game.

Just now, best3444 said:

They don't have cyberpunk?

Most keys you'll find for Cyberpunk from third parties will likely be for GoG and not Steam. Your best bet for that one is directly through Steam.

Anyway, the other site I typically go to/check is GreenManGaming.com. Some others like Humble Store and/or Fanatical.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@AbsolutSurgen @stepee @Keyser_Soze @Spork3245

Other than cdkeys and steam, what are the best sites to purchase legit games for the deck. I read some of your suggestions earlier but can't find them buried in the threads. 

Other than Fanatical which Keyser suggested (after posting, noticed that Spork suggested GMG, link below):

WWW.GREENMANGAMING.COM

Buy games & game keys with Green Man Gaming - get the best prices, awesome bundles & exclusive game deals daily! Visit to explore Green Man Gaming now!

As far as what someone would want to play AAA on handheld..I think it’s just different strokes, but there are at least two dozens of us I think. As someone who has been probably at least 60/40 handheld/tv since the original gameboy and has dreamed of this moment where I could play the same games as tv, not shrunken down versions, for so long, AAA on handheld is amazing. 

There’s exceptions where if something is too standout graphically (and I haven’t played it before) then I will probably only play handheld for grinding type stuff. And I use moonlight a lot so I can pump the graphics up, but also sometimes I do need to get up and do whatever it is to get that working and don’t want to deal with it and just want to pop some heads in RE4 or whatever.

And also this display is fucking huge idk it’s not like trying to play this stuff on the original switch screen.