Due to a dispute with DC Comics, Bill Willingham has released the "Fables" IP into the public domain

Oh wow.

BILLWILLINGHAM.SUBSTACK.COM

Here, below, is the press release I sent out today to explain what I did and why.

As of now, 15 September 2023, the comic book property called Fables, including all related Fables spin-offs and characters, is now in the public domain. What was once wholly owned by Bill Willingham is now owned by everyone, for all time. It’s done, and as most experts will tell you, once done it cannot be undone. Take-backs are neither contemplated nor possible.

• Shocked 1

Naturally, DC isn't taking this lying down.

WWW.THEWRAP.COM

Writer Bill Willingham declared the acclaimed comic series "Fables" is no longer under copyright on Thursday

On Thursday, in response to an ongoing dispute with DC Comics, the creator of the acclaimed “Fables,” declared the comic to be part of the public domain. But in a terse statement Friday, the publisher said it would fight to retain ownership of the series.

“The ‘Fables’ comic books and graphic novels published by DC, and the storylines, characters, and elements therein, are owned by DC and protected under the copyright laws of the United States and throughout the world in accordance with applicable law and are not in the public domain. DC reserves all rights and will take such action as DC deems necessary or appropriate to protect its intellectual property rights,” the company said.

Willingham made a follow-up post where he interviewed himself about this situation:

In which I interview myself in order to expand on a few things revealed in yesterday's post.

This part really has me puzzled though:

Q: So you no longer own Fables?

Bill: Incorrect. I still own 100% of Fables. But now, every man, woman, and child in the world, along with anyone who’s ever born until the end of time, also owns 100% of Fables. It’s not a property divided among all of us, it’s a property infinitely multiplied among all of us. Pretty cool, huh? Every person owns Fables-in-whole, and can decide for himself what, if anything, he wants to do with it. Kind of like a secular miracle of the loaves and the fishes, metaphorically speaking, of course. No matter how many partake, there’s enough for everybody.

Q: Why did you do this?

Bill: That’s a small question that requires a long and complex answer. I’ll try to break it down into more digestible parts. Here’s the first part: Fables was created using characters and stories already in the public domain. It makes sense to me that, eventually, these stories would return to their home ground. I suppose I’d planned to make this happen when I die, but certain events have made it useful to push that timetable ahead by a few years (knock wood).

Sooo...what exactly do (or should I say, "did") you actually own?

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Willingham made a follow-up post where he interviewed himself about this situation:

In which I interview myself in order to expand on a few things revealed in yesterday's post.

This part really has me puzzled though:

Sooo...what exactly do (or should I say, "did") you actually own?

Really sounds like he wants to put a Creative Commons license on Fables, but legally can't or thinks entering it into public domain is the same thing...though it's not.