Everybody wants to know if it’s worth being ran over for a pay check

stepee

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It will take me years to get used to it!

I’m sad it happened to you but glad you got taken care of. You’re a good dude and will put it to good use 😘

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m sad it happened to you but glad you got taken care of. You’re a good dude and will put it to good use 😘

Really appreciate it! My lawyer told me first thing that there is nothing that can make this right, but he would do his best to make it at least even. I liked that. And I think he really delivered. Nothing is ever worth what happened, but I’ll be damned if I’m not living my best life now.

Funny story I will tell because I think cover my NDA enough. During the mediation they literally said “We don’t need to make Mr. *mylastname* Rich”

Guess you failed at that bitches.

And I know it was a slam dunk dunk case but for maximizing it and just the way he handled the case, I couldn’t have asked for a better lawyer. He just did such a good job guiding me through the process and even just with general financial advice. I got lucky because he is a family friend my Dad sourced out. If I got an ambulance chaser like we first talked to, it would have been a significantly lower settlement. You have to keep in mind after a settlement you also have to pay your medical fees of over half a million.

NBC@3x.png?fit=5761%2C3240&quality=85&st
WWW.NBCBAYAREA.COM

San Francisco will pay $15 million to the family of a woman who was fatally struck by a city pickup truck last year while she lay with her baby in a public park.

Similar scenario, but the lady died. Glad the baby didn’t get harmed. Fucking terrible. 

Maybe $8M is more likely than $5M.  

1 minute ago, Brian said:
WWW.NBCBAYAREA.COM

San Francisco will pay $15 million to the family of a woman who was fatally struck by a city pickup truck last year while she lay with her baby in a public park.

Similar scenario, but the lady died. Glad the baby didn’t get harmed. Fucking terrible. 

I get so scared walking around now. Like, fucking pay attention. 

Just now, Brian said:

Your parks are wildin out. 

It’s fucking insane! Idk how my nda affects reporting on a public safety issue but I’m keeping pictures in case it happens again. And maybe when I move I’ll check to see if I can report on it because it’s really really bad.

It’s fucking insane! Idk how my nda affects reporting on a public safety issue but I’m keeping pictures in case it happens again. And maybe when I move I’ll check to see if I can report on it because it’s really really bad.

I guess you have a Plan B if you burn through your money :p

• Haha 1

Like I have a picture of a truck just sitting in the grass with a homeless person right behind them in a shade. That actually concerned me enough that I walked up and tried to make sure he saw the person. He refused to roll down his window and just made hand motions that it’s “okay” and never looked back at the human being I was concerned he would run over.

2 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.NBCBAYAREA.COM

Interesting note about tort law generally: the person dying TYPICALLY leads to a smaller settlement than catastrophic injury, not larger, when all the facts are otherwise the same.

One of the “fun facts” I learned working a summer job as a teenager for my two uncles who are personal injury trial lawyers.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Interesting note about tort law generally: the person dying TYPICALLY leads to a smaller settlement than catastrophic injury, not larger, when all the facts are otherwise the same.

One of the “fun facts” I learned working a summer job as a teenager for my two uncles who are personal injury trial lawyers.

This is true because the settlement is done by a calculator and pain and lost wages and additional later life care adds to that value.

This is true because the settlement is done by a calculator and pain and lost wages and additional later life care adds to that value.

Also the value is often defined by multiplying the medical cost, if you are dead, there is no medical cost.

Just now, best3444 said:

That is terrific you're set financially. Life in general sucks so to be set with money is a true blessing. I know you're in serious pain but life throws shit at us all the time so I'm happy your are secure with money. I just wish you weren't in constant pain.

I wish that too! But I get a new Mario this year so I will call it a wash.

• Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so how did you find your lawyer? And what should one look out for or ask when finding one or anything else to be aware of (without violating ndas and whatnot)?

my brother in law (lives in FL) was hit by a recycling truck (private company, all of this was allegedly on camera?) while riding his bike on the sidewalk and luckily survived but has a broken collarbone, but won’t get to see an ortho for 3 weeks. I don’t want him to get screwed because he’s mildly autistic and is likely to go along with whatever is put in front of him and id like to be able to suggest some things for someone to advocate for him

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hey so how did you find your lawyer? And what should one look out for or ask when finding one or anything else to be aware of (without violating ndas and whatnot)?

my brother in law (lives in FL) was hit by a recycling truck (private company, all of this was allegedly on camera?) while riding his bike on the sidewalk and luckily survived but has a broken collarbone, but won’t get to see an ortho for 3 weeks. I don’t want him to get screwed because he’s mildly autistic and is likely to go along with whatever is put in front of him and id like to be able to suggest some things for someone to advocate for him

The Florida Bar has a referral service that he can use and explain his whole situation to:

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The lawyer I got was a friend of my uncle (my uncle helped him out while he was in law school) and he recommended him to us. I went with them because they normally don’t go after injury cases and do more real legal work than ambulance chasing, so I felt they would be in it more for a proper settlement than a quick buck.

So I can’t give too much advice about how to find a lawyer because I got lucky there but I guess that’s still my main advice is to find someone that has a history of trying major cases beyond just injury settlement. You don’t want to go with one of the ones they advertise on billboards and “injury” as part of the phone number imo. They are likely trying to make quick buck by burning through as many of those as they can rather than caring much about your particular case. They might get a settlement that sounds good if it’s a slam duck case but they are likely to not fight for your maximum benefit if it means dragging it on a couple years rather than the quick cash out.

Make sure you find someone who is willing to go to trial and has succeeded in trial against major corporations or entities not just settlements. You have to be willing to go to trial even if a settlement is what you are after.  You’ll probably have to go a percentage for anyone decent but try to make that no more than 30%. 

Ask them questions like about how much they think the settlement could be, if they just throw a pie in the sky number with no justification it’s probably BS. If they articulate all the factors that go into it and set expectation then that is better. But they shouldn’t be low balling either and be prepared to fight for a certain large amount. They will be going at this for awhile especially with court systems still backed up and you need to keep expectations in check during this time but also to be ready to turn down some large amounts to get what is deserved.

Try to find someone who has some compassion and seems to care about the situation and that wants to right the wrong. You’ll probably have to talk with a few to see who vibes the best.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

35 minutes ago, stepee said:

The lawyer I got was a friend of my uncle (my uncle helped him out while he was in law school) and he recommended him to us. I went with them because they normally don’t go after injury cases and do more real legal work than ambulance chasing, so I felt they would be in it more for a proper settlement than a quick buck.

So I can’t give too much advice about how to find a lawyer because I got lucky there but I guess that’s still my main advice is to find someone that has a history of trying major cases beyond just injury settlement. You don’t want to go with one of the ones they advertise on billboards and “injury” as part of the phone number imo. They are likely trying to make quick buck by burning through as many of those as they can rather than caring much about your particular case. They might get a settlement that sounds good if it’s a slam duck case but they are likely to not fight for your maximum benefit if it means dragging it on a couple years rather than the quick cash out.

Make sure you find someone who is willing to go to trial and has succeeded in trial against major corporations or entities not just settlements. You have to be willing to go to trial even if a settlement is what you are after.  You’ll probably have to go a percentage for anyone decent but try to make that no more than 30%. 

Ask them questions like about how much they think the settlement could be, if they just throw a pie in the sky number with no justification it’s probably BS. If they articulate all the factors that go into it and set expectation then that is better. But they shouldn’t be low balling either and be prepared to fight for a certain large amount. They will be going at this for awhile especially with court systems still backed up and you need to keep expectations in check during this time but also to be ready to turn down some large amounts to get what is deserved.

Try to find someone who has some compassion and seems to care about the situation and that wants to right the wrong. You’ll probably have to talk with a few to see who vibes the best.

Have I told you today how much I love my Xbox Series X and how much I love you?

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

7 hours ago, Pikachu said:

The Florida Bar has a referral service that he can use and explain his whole situation to:

Thank you both. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Thank you both. 

Also make sure he’s always completely honest and keeps his story consistent (this is why it’s important to always be truthful). The absolute worst thing you can do is damage your credibility, or give the opposing council the impression that you are someone they can make look non credible on the stand. It’s never worth it to lie during deposition or any other point with the claim.

Have him start writing down everything he can remember about the accident so he can have the accurate incident solidified in as much detail as possible. Or the lawyer can be collecting this from them, but you want to do it while it’s all fresh. It sucks but they will want to try to remember the pain and how bad it was and to be ready to describe that.

Also they should start keeping a pain journal  if they are still in pain and/or are experiencing prolonged pain so they can speak to that as well. Make sure to document all bills, unexpected financial issues, lost work, time anyone else has to help out, etc etc.

• Thanks 1

It's one of those things where a question feels original and creative to the person asking it but it feels that way to almost everyone so they all do it and if you're on the other side of it, you have to experience it over and over and over. Sort of like when you're working retail and something doesn't scan, they always think they're super clever and funny by asking if that means it's free. Just a dumb joke at first but then after you've courtesy laughed to it like a million times you just want to tear their fucking heads off. 

16 hours ago, Rev said:

It's one of those things where a question feels original and creative to the person asking it but it feels that way to almost everyone so they all do it and if you're on the other side of it, you have to experience it over and over and over. Sort of like when you're working retail and something doesn't scan, they always think they're super clever and funny by asking if that means it's free. Just a dumb joke at first but then after you've courtesy laughed to it like a million times you just want to tear their fucking heads off. 

heh heh heh