I no longer view myself as a conservative

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

Mainly because of this board. I have been brain washed since grade school and by my peers to view everything in the conservative perspective with no open mind or different type of thinking. Even my HS was conservative but the more logical things I read on this section of the board and the more I have separated myself from not only the Catholic faith but my Christian beliefs as well, I'm definitely leaning to the left. 

This will cause a bit of a Rift in my family circle but fuck them honestly. I will most definitely be voting differently in 24. I guess you guy's can take credit for this and I'm willing to keep learning about this beautiful country with an open mind and with an open heart.

It took 35 years for the change but better now than later with how the US is heading. I've already been debating things with my parents and @stepee enters my mind when having discussions with my father. 

Thank you for opening my eyes. 

My Grandparents partially raised me and they were very big in the church and I started out a bit conservative but moved quickly away from that and I do not understand how they see people like Trump over Biden the right person to vote for (Biden is Catholic at least).

10 hours ago, DPCyric said:

My Grandparents partially raised me and they were very big in the church and I started out a bit conservative but moved quickly away from that and I do not understand how they see people like Trump over Biden the right person to vote for (Biden is Catholic at least).

My mom is a slave to the catholic church and it's really sad to see. Completely brain washed and even confesses her "sins" to a priest. Fuckin disgusting I'm sorry. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

My mom is a slave to the catholic church and it's really sad to see. Completely brain washed and even confesses her "sins" to a priest. Fuckin disgusting I'm sorry. 

And yet they want to vote for a hobo like Trump instead of someone who is actually Catholic :epilepsy:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rev said:

I'm a left-wing liberal, for instance, and I find many of the views supported by people here to be pretty absurd. 

Like what, exactly? Which views? I've been on the political board a long time and I have rarely seen any "absurd" views except those said either in jest or to change the overall Overton window. I'm genuinely curious which unanimously held views on the admittedly pretty progressive political board are "pretty absurd" to you?

• Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Dead serious, you should reach out to CNut and apologize for the hateful shit you said.

100% He will continue to be on my ignore list until he atones for how he treats women on this board and his previous post on abortion.

43 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Dead serious, you should reach out to CNut and apologize for the hateful shit you said.

7 minutes ago, chakoo said:

100% He will continue to be on my ignore list until he atones for how he treats women on this board and his previous post on abortion.

I appreciate the sentiments, guys. But the reality is, he's apologized probably half a dozen times and then repeats the behaviors. He did say he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, which does fit with a lot of his behaviors. I hope he gets the proper help and if his views are legit evolving, good for him. I remain skeptical. But I've washed my hands of it. It is what it is.

Yea, I understand i need a lot of help and I'm really focusing on controlling my emotions. I've been extremely down at times then it's a recipe for disaster if I post on here sometimes. 

So I have taken a step back, reevaluated myself and understand when I need to take a breath and not cause issues on here. 

Like cnut said, I've apologized to her a few times then it gets messy again and she knows how to push my buttons. It's best we just don't interact at all and things go much better on here.

I do apologize for the things that I said but she litteraly hates my guts so nothing will come out from it. I'm really trying to be the best person I can be and I'm human with many flaws. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:43 PM, best3444 said:

You nailed it here. Also, I'm still on the waiting list for my intensive out patient care so I'm just staying positive, patient, and strong. I absolutely still see my therapist and unfortunately he is big time conservative but he has really helped me out with my medications.

But I think I need to move on from him which isn't easy because central Pennsylvania is extremely difficult to get psychiatric care. 

On the whole, my parents and I try to stay away from topics that trip us up. Great post and thank you.

Might I suggest the Secular Therapy Project?

WWW.SECULARTHERAPY.ORG

While they are associated with an atheist organization (which based on what you said could help as well but I don't know enough) their primary goal is to help people find therapists that use science rather than religious or political views when practicing. There are many therapists out there that get the degree then ignore what they learned in favor of their own biases or don't have a degree at all in the field.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Link200 said:

Might I suggest the Secular Therapy Project?

WWW.SECULARTHERAPY.ORG

While they are associated with an atheist organization (which based on what you said could help as well but I don't know enough) their primary goal is to help people find therapists that use science rather than religious or political views when practicing. There are many therapists out there that get the degree then ignore what they learned in favor of their own biases or don't have a degree at all in the field.

That sounds fantastic. I'm so over my therapist but I've tried looking for a different one and nothing is available. He is a hardcore conservative and actually does bring up religion in my sessions which is completely inappropriate. I'm thankful for the medication management and he recently bumped up my one major medication that has significantly helped me. Thanks for the link I appreciate it. 

I'm glad this board -- and many areas online -- are open and receptive to thearpy/psychiatry.

Not that they're controversial, but since, "You need help," can be used as an insult and there can be a connotation that it makes a person defective or something, it's great to see people actively encouraging others to help themselves as meaningful advice.

18 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm glad this board -- and many areas online -- are open and receptive to thearpy/psychiatry.

Not that they're controversial, but since, "You need help," can be used as an insult and there can be a connotation that it makes a person defective or something, it's great to see people actively encouraging others to help themselves as meaningful advice.

Very much this, it’s why I’m so open about my issues as I wish someone like me when I was younger was as open about their issues as I am. Would’ve driven me to therapy a long time before I finally did instead of numbing with alcohol like “real men” do.

Young Kab had a shit ton more demons that controlled him, hell I’m only alive because that shitty ass gun misfired, that’s a humbling thought.

now my demons exist but I keep them mostly under control.

• Hugs 2

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Two of my favorite shows are about psychiatrists, of course I’m open to therapy!

Disappointed Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

Shrinking Harrison Ford GIF by Apple TV+