Blizzard announces that a "selection" of its games will be coming to Steam, starting with Overwatch 2 (Battle.net account still required)

tracer_overwatch_2.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Players will still need a Battle.net account, however

Blizzard Entertainment is bringing its PC games to Steam, starting with the release of Overwatch 2 on Valve’s digital storefront on Aug. 10, Blizzard announced Wednesday.

The Windows PC version of Overwatch 2, like many of Blizzard’s PC games, is currently only available through Battle.net. But with Microsoft’s impending acquisition of Activision Blizzard and declining player engagement in the game, the maker of Diablo, Warcraft, and Overwatch appears to be changing its strategy.

Blizzard says it will bring “a selection” of its games to Steam, but did not specify which titles beyond Overwatch 2 will make the jump from Battle.net. (A few classic Blizzard games, including the original Diablo and the first two Warcraft games, are available through GOG.com.)

41 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Probably not for as long as WoW is still around.

At this point, WoW could probably use the popularity bump from Steam, and I do think it would get one. Game's been bleeding players for a long, long time. They get bumps for expansions, of course, but they took an unprecedented double-whammy with two bad expansions in a row and while Dragonflight is fun, it isn't exactly retaining players en masse and it certainly isn't bringing too much new blood.

At this point I kind of expect most of their games to come to Steam in time, especially since even stuff like Diablo 4 ain't got shit on the stupid numbers Diablo Immortal pulls in by being a disgusting mobile game.

I'm always surprised that people care enough about extra launchers to actually avoid games. Sure, I'd rather buy games on Steam than some dev specific launcher that I might never otherwise use, but I wouldn't avoid a game that I was otherwise excited about because of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Dragonflight is fun, it isn't exactly retaining players en masse and it certainly isn't bringing too much new blood.

cuz it's not about big hairy sweaty men killing other big hairy sweaty men, dood

also :sick:

06f7b915b9b79712da6a5566cd904db7.jpg

It's disgusting. I don't know what is worse, that or :sick: Hrothgar

Makes sense after the below announcement. Get it on all the platforms 

And lololololol Microsoft. CoD and OW2 declining. I’m sure this will work out for them. 

overwatch-2-1650490734684.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Activision Blizzard admits in its recent earnings report that the engagement and player investment in Overwatch 2 is declining.

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

And lololololol Microsoft. CoD and OW2 declining. I’m sure this will work out for them. 

Also, Diablo IV appears to be going through a bit of a "rough patch".

And by that I mean, EVERYONE UTTERLY DESPISES the newest patch:

6oMZ3pG2PYvM2UcBC8xUVd-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The Diablo community is breathing fire and brimstone over the game's latest batch of nerfs and changes.

• 4 weeks later...