Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators Trailer (Netflix - June 28th; out now!)

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Hopefully this is better than the HBO(?) one that was pretty boring and had hardly any of the Gladiators interviewed. 

Was that one recent as well? Myu buddy was just talking about it. Couldn't have been this one because he hadn'y seen it yet. Was a huge fan of this when I was a kid. Does anybody remember another show from the late 80's, early 90's that was a martial arts based show with characters with colorful names like TURBO, THE MACHINE, SUPERSTAR and VIPER competing for a trophy? They would fight on these different stages like a video game but it was completely scripted. I remember the guy who played Liu Kang in the original Mortal Kombat game and his brother were on it. Can't remember the name of this show to save my life but I think I loved it more than American Gladiators, Glow and WWF combined :p

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was that one recent as well? Myu buddy was just talking about it. Couldn't have been this one because he hadn'y seen it yet. Was a huge fan of this when I was a kid. Does anybody remember another show from the late 80's, early 90's that was a martial arts based show with characters with colorful names like TURBO, THE MACHINE, SUPERSTAR and VIPER competing for a trophy? They would fight on these different stages like a video game but it was completely scripted. I remember the guy who played Liu Kang in the original Mortal Kombat game and his brother were on it. Can't remember the name of this show to save my life but I think I loved it more than American Gladiators, Glow and WWF combined :p

WMAC Masters?

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, SoberChef said:

ESPN's 30 for 30 just had a 2 parter which interviewed the creator who seemed shady AF! This looks to dive deeper into the on screen talents which is cool, huge fan of this as a kid in the early 90's.

THATS IT, the ESPN one I didn’t think was great. 

@skillzdadirecta uhhh I haven’t thought about that Martial Arts show in like 30 years lol but yeah I loved it. Time to take a deep dive on YouTube 😂

• Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 1:38 PM, 69los said:

Ice seems like the coolest person on the show.

Hardly any mention of Gold so I looked her up only to see she passed away this past February.  :rose:

Ice and Blaze were pretty cool 

I had a small memory of american gladiators. i remembered most of the competitions but before this i wouldn’t have been able to tell

you the name of any of the gladiators. pretty cool subject for a documentary. 

then i found out they have a youtube channel with basically all of their episodes and i’ve been watching season 2. i don’t think i’m gonna watch all the seasons but maybe 2 and 3. 

The 30 for 30 definitely had a different vibe making it creator-focused instead of gladiator-focused. I think everyone who held out for money and got fired, which I don't think was mentioned at all in the 30 for 30, did not make an appearance in the 30 for 30. Given the last bit that Ferraro had to have the last word, this seemed like a fluff-piece to cater to him. I think the only gladiators allowed were the ones that didn't have problems with Ferraro. Gemini did appear in both and was dignified as the locker room leader.

I do find it convenient the timing of both of these docs and both incarnations of the series (1989 and 2008) coincided (at least nearly) with writer's strikes (1988, 2008, present).