Microsoft raising the price of Games Pass, and Series X in many countries

crispy4000

vpavic_201103_4275_0163.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The Xbox price hike follows warnings prices wouldn’t hold forever.

No Series X price hike in US, Japan, Brazil, Chile and Columbia.

Games Pass w/o multiplayer for consoles will be $10.99 instead of $9.99.

Games Pass Ultimate will be increasing to $16.99 a month instead of $14.99.

PC stays at $9.99.

Some thoughts:

- Microsoft's console base is once again subsidizing their play for the PC market, paying +40% more a month for largely the same product.

- Inflation adjusted, Games Pass Ultimate for $17 is actually the same as when it was first introduced.  That much is reasonable.

- Do Sony and Nintendo respond by raising their own pricing?  Just as they jumped bandwagon with paid online multiplayer, I could see it happening.

- For now, the comparison to Sony got a lot more interesting.  Their premium tier (with garbage cloud streaming / emulation) is $10 a month with an annual subscription.  Extra, with online play and the modern catalog, is closer to $8.33.  It's a $100+ a year plus savings over Games Pass Ultimate (the one with online play).

That begs an interesting question: what are day one 1st party releases truly worth to people?

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Some thoughts:

- Microsoft's console base is once again subsidizing their play for the PC market, paying +40% more a month for largely the same product.

I don't think that is the case.  I suspect the reason the PC version is cheaper is that barely anyone subscribes to it.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't think that is the case.  I suspect the reason the PC version is cheaper is that barely anyone subscribes to it.

It's probably more that Microsoft counts on Games Pass making up for hardware losses, alongside royalties.

If PC Games Pass was more popular, I'd still doubt they'd charge the same as Ultimate.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's probably more that Microsoft counts on Games Pass making up for hardware losses, alongside royalities.

If PC Games Pass was more popular, I'd still have doubts they'd ever charge the same as Ultimate.

You don't need Game Pass to play games online on PC, and you're forced to use the crappy Microsoft Store.  It's not a product that is attractive to a PC Gamer who isn't tied into the Xbox ecosystem.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You don't need Game Pass to play games online on PC, and you're forced to use the crappy Microsoft Store.  It's not a product that is attractive to a PC Gamer who isn't tied into the Xbox ecosystem.

Precisely.  Because it isn't a walled garden, they can't get away with it.

Even if their front end had a better reputation, a price hike up to Ultimate's cost would never be taken well by PC gamers.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Precisely.  Because it isn't a walled garden, they can't get away with it.

Even if their front end had a better reputation, a price hike up to Ultimate's cost would never be taken well by PC gamers.

The price difference between console Game Pass and PC Game Pass $1.00, right?  How is that 40% more?

Just buy some gold memberships and then the cheapest ultimate option to auto convert (only if your membership is up) I think I still have a year and half left after I did it. Worked out to just under $6Cnd a month, or less then a old traditional BlockBuster rental