EA is splitting into "EA Entertainment and EA Sports"

Mr.Vic20

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I could see this as being a good thing, since the sports side makes so much more money it kind of sets unrealistic expectations for every other game.

I often suspected the success of the sports games was how we got titles like Jedi Fallen Order and Survivor funded and without micro transactions. While now non-sports games won’t share the similar financial expectations they also won’t benefit from the financial success. A Battlefield bombing again will hit harder. 

I’m holding off on celebrating this move, for sure. 

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I could see this as being a good thing, since the sports side makes so much more money it kind of sets unrealistic expectations for every other game.

On the contrary, it's going to intensify pressure on the non-Sports division titles to increase monetization for recurring revenue streams.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

On the contrary, it's going to intensify pressure on the non-Sports division titles to increase monetization for recurring revenue streams.

I don't think that's going to work out very well.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I would be shocked if any game got through EA's development approval process without being profitable on their own.

I don't believe they justify the existence of any project by having other profitable projects.

Just about any entertainment project is a risk though. And games like Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor just look like they’re leaving money on the table without additional monetization by way of a cosmetic cash shop. Without the sports titles lifting up the entire gaming division we may see less risks taken and more monetization in “offline” games. And a Battlefield 2042 like fumble could be even more devastating to other projects when EA Entertainment looks to mitigate losses by canceling projects to reduce spending in a quarter. Almost nothing will be just a blip without the revenue from sports propping up the entire division. 

This could be a great thing. And maybe with some companies it would be. This could also be an awful thing and lead to the Entertainment company being slowly killed off or just sold off wholesale. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Just about any entertainment project is a risk though. And games like Jedi Fallen Order and Jedi Survivor just look like they’re leaving money on the table without additional monetization by way of a cosmetic cash shop. Without the sports titles lifting up the entire gaming division we may see less risks taken and more monetization in “offline” games. And a Battlefield 2042 like fumble could be even more devastating to other projects when EA Entertainment looks to mitigate losses by canceling projects to reduce spending in a quarter. Almost nothing will be just a blip without the revenue from sports propping up the entire division. 

This could be a great thing. And maybe with some companies it would be. This could also be an awful thing and lead to the Entertainment company being slowly killed off or just sold off wholesale. 

I think the industry, as a whole, has come to the conclusion that cosmetic DLC works a whole lot better in online multiplayer games than in single player games.  I don't really see EA taking too many risks with their internally developed games.  A licensed sequel from one of the most popular entertain IPs isn't exactly "high risk".

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think the industry, as a whole, has come to the conclusion that cosmetic DLC works a whole lot better in online multiplayer games than in single player games.  I don't really see EA taking too many risks with their internally developed games.  A licensed sequel from one of the most popular entertain IPs isn't exactly "high risk".

a sequel isn’t no. But what about green lighting another series with a known IP? They canceled Star Wars projects in the past, so it’s not like being a Star Wars project guarantees a release. They may be more risk averse to try and start a new series, especially if the project could ask for a higher budget. 

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

a sequel isn’t no. But what about green lighting another series with a known IP? They canceled Star Wars projects in the past, so it’s not like being a Star Wars project guarantees a release. They may be more risk averse to try and start a new series, especially if the project could ask for a higher budget. 

You have a wildly different view of EA's output than I do.  They don't really start new series any more (EA Originals is a completely different business model). 

The last one I can think of was Anthem, and before that may have been Titanfall.