12-year-old graduated from college with a 4.0 GPA going to high school next

Remarkableriots

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Not to diminish the achievement but I wonder what the reasoning behind the degree choice was. It’ll be interesting to see what life is like for someone that could probably see put high school academically in a few weeks.

In the US, the vast majority of the first 2 years of college are pretty much going over the same shit you learned in high school again, anyway. Assuming you didn't go all the way through calculus in high school, you pretty much have to start over at algebra again in college. It's kind of dumb if you ask me. I think it's because, in my experience at least, most high school kids don't take math during their senior year, so by the time they get to college they've pretty much forgotten everything.

So she's doing it in reverse. She pretty much gets to skip the first 2 years of college when she gets there, but I don't know if she'll be THAT far ahead of some of her high school classmates.

19 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

In the US, the vast majority of the first 2 years of college are pretty much going over the same shit you learned in high school again, anyway. Assuming you didn't go all the way through calculus in high school, you pretty much have to start over at algebra again in college. It's kind of dumb if you ask me. I think it's because, in my experience at least, most high school kids don't take math during their senior year, so by the time they get to college they've pretty much forgotten everything.

So she's doing it in reverse. She pretty much gets to skip the first 2 years of college when she gets there, but I don't know if she'll be THAT far ahead of some of her high school classmates.

That’s interesting to know. In the UK, if a degree says you need say Maths, English and History, you’d better be ready start from the end point of your high school education and progress quickly, including more full on assessment and content. 

3 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

That’s interesting to know. In the UK, if a degree says you need say Maths, English and History, you’d better be ready start from the end point of your high school education and progress quickly, including more full on assessment and content. 

Yeah, European universities operate differently, as @Jason knows. In the US, to get a bachelor's degree, no matter what the degree is, you spend most of your first 2 years doing general liberal arts. So it's pretty much a super-condensed version of high school

In some ways it works well, as a lot of people will change their majors between freshman and junior year, so you're not necessarily locked into a certain major as soon as you enter. You can experiment with different things as the curriculum for most students for the first 2 years is very similar, regardless of their major.

I don’t know how I’d feel about that. My course was for a purpose (which naturally I never fulfilled) and my postgrad was even more specific. The potential Masters is even more than that. It would be nice to not box my education off, but I’d feel hard done by paying 2 years for a fairly general education.

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

She already graduated college.

7 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

She already graduated college.

Just an associate degree in “studio art”.

She's also working on earning a certificate that'll allow her to enter a California state college as a third-year student.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1