Is 2023 Shaping Up to Be One Of the All Time Great Gaming Years?

skillzdadirecta

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

tbh, 2020 is probably one of the best years in recent memory and I think deserves to be talked about in that light.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Astro's Playroom

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

Demon's Souls Remake

DOOM Eternal

Dreams

Fall Guys

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Ghost of Tsushima

Hades

Half-Life: Alyx
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Microsoft Flight Simulator

Nioh 2

Paper Beast VR

Persona 5 Royal
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

Resident Evil 3 Remake

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Spelunky 2
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition

Streets of Rage 4
Super Mario 3D All-Stars

The Last of Us Part 2

Two-Point Hospital

Yakuza: Like A Dragon

This is excluding a lot, but... it's a lot. And considering the shitty year that was, we needed this.

This year stomps that with better fighting games, two Yakuza games, better Zelda game, assuming better Spider-Man game, better RE Remake, better WRPG and JRPG lineup and so much more. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

This year stomps that with better fighting games, two Yakuza games, better Zelda game, assuming better Spider-Man game, better RE Remake, better WRPG and JRPG lineup and so much more. 

Don’t diss my Demons Souls/FF7/Persona 5R Rpg lineup like that.

Years like 2007, 2017, 2023 are great overall gaming years with huge varied releases on all platforms that would be hard for someone to find lacking no matter what platform they play on. 

2020 was a great playstation year and Animal Crossing came out 

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Years like 2007, 2017, 2023 are great overall gaming years with huge varied releases on all platforms that would be hard for someone to find lacking no matter what platform they play on. 

2020 was a great playstation year and Animal Crossing came out 

Twas indeed a great PlayStation year!

But Switch had Animal Crossing and Hades and All Stars and Metroid. VR had Half Life. I’m getting hard just typing this to you. And 2017.... honestly, the past decade was really light on the Xbox front outside of third parties. 2017 was considerably stronger for Sony and Nintendo in comparison. So 2020 checks out. Animal Crossing alone was the ultimate pandemic game.

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

I will because this year we have RPG's that aren't remakes or enhanced ports!

Then why even bring RE4 Remake into the discussion if we're gonna gatekeep what counts? C'mon man. :p Besides, P5R being called an enhanced port is severely underselling it considering the considerable new content and the ability to max relationships in the first go-around. FF7R has likely the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played and was a fantastic combination of action and turn-based combat. And Demon's Souls was a game many of us never got a chance to play until the beautiful remake. 

Damned fine stuff.

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Then why even bring RE4 Remake into the discussion if we're gonna gatekeep what counts?

Because you mentioned RE3 Remake :rolleyes: Wasn't gatekeeping what counts the remakes this year are a lot better! Fact of the matter is we get actual new RPG's this year which is an improvement. 

48 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Twas indeed a great PlayStation year!

But Switch had Animal Crossing and Hades and All Stars and Metroid. VR had Half Life. I’m getting hard just typing this to you. And 2017.... honestly, the past decade was really light on the Xbox front outside of third parties. 2017 was considerably stronger for Sony and Nintendo in comparison. So 2020 checks out. Animal Crossing alone was the ultimate pandemic game.

I still don’t see quite the same variety and insanity as some of the top years. But I will admit for me part of it is that I was done with ps4 fidelity at that point so I waited to play Ghost/TLOU2/Ff7R until the next year for ps5/pc versions.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Because you mentioned RE3 Remake :rolleyes: Wasn't gatekeeping what counts the remakes this year are a lot better! Fact of the matter is we get actual new RPG's this year which is an improvement. 

RELAX! This isn't worth arguing about. We're talking how much we like certain video games; it's cause for celebration! :p I'm not even making a 2020 v 2023 point either, but I do think 2020 gets overlooked in the Best Of category -- enormous quality in a time when we really needed to be distracted from the pandemic. 

There's only one remake in RE4, I THINK, and it's stellar! But I consider FF7 Remake a new game, like, you are NOT getting the same experience fighting Guard Scorpion or the Airbuster or with the gameplay or anything. Demon's Souls finally got me into this world I never explored and it was a glorious billion playthroughs with that game. Easily one of my favorite remakes. <3 

Just now, SaysWho? said:

RELAX! This isn't worth arguing about. We're talking how much we like certain video games; it's cause for celebration! :p I'm not even making a 2020 v 2023 point either, but I do think 2020 gets overlooked in the Best Of category -- enormous quality in a time when we really needed to be distracted from the pandemic. 

There's only one remake in RE4, I THINK, and it's stellar! But I consider FF7 Remake a new game, like, you are NOT getting the same experience fighting Guard Scorpion or the Airbuster or with the gameplay or anything. Demon's Souls finally got me into this world I never explored and it was a glorious billion playthroughs with that game. Easily one of my favorite remakes. <3 

Lol you relax I was messing with you a bit there :lol: RE4 isn't the only remake this year we also got Dead Space and Metroid Prime :cool:

Just now, DPCyric said:

Lol you relax I was messing with you a bit there :lol: RE4 isn't the only remake this year we also got Dead Space and Metroid Prime :cool:

Last one's a remaster, but I take your point with Dead Space! Guess it's easy to forget when you're drowning in games.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I still don’t see quite the same variety and insanity as some of the top years. But I will admit for me part of it is that I was done with ps4 fidelity at that point so I waited to play Ghost/TLOU2/Ff7R until the next year for ps5/pc versions.

Well think about it -- you got your 2D Metroids, your platformers (Sackboy, Allstars, Astro, Crash), your JRPGs (Demon's Souls, P5R, FF7 Remake, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, possibly Nioh 2?), your action adventures (Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales, Valhalla), your sims (Planet Coaster, Two-Point Hospital), your stealth horror-adventures (TLOU2), your weirdass create-whatever-the-fuck (Dreams), your relaxathon (Animal Crossing), your hack-and-slash (Hyrule Warriors), your beat-em-ups (Streets of Rage 4), your flying around places (MFS), your ramming into a bunch of people thing (Fall Guys), your FPS (Doom Eternal), your roguelikes/lites (Hades, Spelunky 2), your VR (Paper Beasts, Half-Life). Yo!

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly 20 gets it’s nod for the insane Sony output but 21 I feel people are more unfair too

Great Ace, Ratchet, Returnal, Deathloop, RE8, Mass Effect Legacy, and I still haven't gotten to Hitman 3 or Psychonauts 2 like the POS I am.

29 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Well think about it -- you got your 2D Metroids, your platformers (Sackboy, Allstars, Astro, Crash), your JRPGs (Demon's Souls, P5R, FF7 Remake, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, possibly Nioh 2?), your action adventures (Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales, Valhalla), your sims (Planet Coaster, Two-Point Hospital), your stealth horror-adventures (TLOU2), your weirdass create-whatever-the-fuck (Dreams), your relaxathon (Animal Crossing), your hack-and-slash (Hyrule Warriors), your beat-em-ups (Streets of Rage 4), your flying around places (MFS), your ramming into a bunch of people thing (Fall Guys), your FPS (Doom Eternal), your roguelikes/lites (Hades, Spelunky 2), your VR (Paper Beasts, Half-Life). Yo!

Great Ace, Ratchet, Returnal, Deathloop, RE8, Mass Effect Legacy, and I still haven't gotten to Hitman 3 or Psychonauts 2 like the POS I am.

Psychonauts 2 is amazing fuck face hurry up

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

Yeah, it’s definitely up there. Man, the first half alone is mind blowing when you think of it.

Dead Space 

RE4

Jedi Survivor

Zelda

Diablo 4

FFXVI in two weeks. 

and I'm sure I missed one or two. For me, that’s incredible. New games in 3 of my 5 favorite franchises (d4, Zelda, FF). 

2020 had a lot of good games, but none of them hit the highs of any of these except LoU2 and FF7R. And we still have Starfield, Baldurs Gate 3, Spider-Man, Cyberpunk DLC, and im sure I missed a couple of games.

When I think of the best gaming years, I don’t just think of variety.  I think of games that set new high bars for their genre, and that people will be referencing years down the line as the clear pinnacle of something at least at that moment of time.

Games like BoTW, StarCraft, MGS, Hollow Knight, Hades, OoT, Street Fighter 2, Team Fortress 2, FF6, SSBM, etc.  I don’t know how this year will fully shake out in that regard.  Definitely ToTK and SF6, perhaps Diablo 4?  We’ll see how much more we get, the first half was stacked.  

I also think it’s worth noting that the Switch is having a banger year.  ToTK, Future Redeemed, Metroid Prime Remastered, FE Engage, Return to Dreamland Deluxe, Bayonetta Origins, Advanced Wars Rebootcamp, soon to be Pikmin 4. The stars rarely align so well for them in the first half.  Who knows what they have planned thereafter.  They’ve been completely absent from ‘E3.’  Which might mean that like Sony, they could be mostly tapped.

But just imagine if they drop Prime 4 or something.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Lies of P is the dark horse GOTY candidate

Yeah from the little I've played the only thing holding it back is how derivative it is of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If it can differentiate itself from those two games it can truly prove itself to be something special. As it is, it's aa very well made game based on the demo.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah from the little I've played the only thing holding it back is how derivative it is of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. If it can differentiate itself from those two games it can truly prove itself to be something special. As it is, it's aa very well made game based on the demo.

I think it takes the best parts of all the souls games and mixes it up to be it's own unique thing with their own unique spin and mechanics on top. The attention to detail is top notch, it looks great, and one of the few games this year without any performance issues!

• Halal 1