Imran Khan: Square Enix "slightly panicking" over Final Fantasy XVI pre-orders, tracking below Final Fantasy XV

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Is that an FF7R boss? I have no interest in ever playing FF7R as I have said numerous times. I'm sure the boss is hard, but D1P isn't always the best at games.

Nah dude it's hard. You have to both micro-manage your actions (block, dodge, be positioned correctly) and macro-manage your health/MP and plan several steps ahead. And it's not a short fight either, it's like 10 minutes long. If you legitimately have zero interest in ever playing it you should watch a video of the fight on youtube.

Just now, thedarkstark said:

Nah dude it's hard. You have to both micro-manage your actions (block, dodge, be positioned correctly) and macro-manage your health and plan several steps ahead. And it's not a short fight either, it's like 10 minutes long.

I don't doubt that it is hard.

I went ahead a watched it since I'll never play it, and I do think it is hard, but considering you can make mistakes and recover from a party member's death, it doesn't seem too bad. Even the fact that you can really only hurt the boss when staggered isn't anything I haven't done before. I figure it would take a few hours to beat, but that doesn't seem bad at all. 10 minutes isn't short, but it's about the average length of a hard boss in FFXIV. The shortest time I got on the newest EX is 00:09:05 with the longest being 00:10:22. Neither of those are good or impressive times.

22 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Relative to other games in the same genre (action RPG as opposed to turn-based) yeah they're pretty dead.

Persona 5's 7.5 million to Witcher 3's 50 million. As much as I hate it these companies only exist to make money, why would a studio as big as Squenix dump the kind of budget into a game with an almost 10x smaller player base?

We can keep pretending it doesn't count, but going back to Pokemon, they've released several games since the Witcher 3 (2015), totaling 106.48 million sales (and that's based off of often 4+ year old data) so...

And I bet all of them combined cost less than the Witcher 3 to produce!

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

We can keep pretending it doesn't count, but going back to Pokemon, they've released several games since the Witcher 3 (2015), totaling 106.48 million sales (and that's based off of often 4+ year old data) so...

And I bet all of them combined cost less than the Witcher 3 to produce!

I didn't say it doesn't count, I said it's an outlier because it's a cultural phenomenon.  It's the same for Mario vs. some generic platformer. It would be ludicrous to compare Mario to Ratchet & Clank. Rift apart sold 1.1 million copies, Odyssey sold 20 million. 

Mario is ubiquitous, even non-gamers are very familiar with him. Are we really going to sit here and say "everyone loves platformers!" because of a single outlier? You slap the name Mario on golf, racing, etc. and all the game sell like gangbusters because the IP is that popular.

Final Fantasy is a well known brand among gamers... not a single god damn person who doesn't identify as a "gamer" knows what that is.

5 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I didn't say it doesn't count, I said it's an outlier because it's a cultural phenomenon.  It's the same for Mario vs. some generic platformer. It would be ludicrous to compare Mario to Ratchet & Clank. Rift apart sold 1.1 million copies, Odyssey sold 20 million. 

Mario is ubiquitous, even non-gamers are very familiar with him. Are we really going to sit here and say "everyone loves platformers!" because of a single outlier? You slap the name Mario on golf, racing, etc. and all the game sell like gangbusters because the IP is that popular.

Final Fantasy is a well known brand among gamers... not a single god damn person who doesn't identify as a "gamer" knows what that is.

I think it's real weird to call Pokemon an outlier but reference The Witcher 3 over and over, which is also an outlier.

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think it's real weird to call Pokemon an outlier but reference The Witcher 3 over and over, which is also an outlier.

lol like Bacon said I only mentioned it twice and yeah it's an outlier too but Cyber Punk sold 20 million, Elden Ring sold 20 million, Skyrim sold 30 million, Monster Hunter world sold 20 million, FF7 remake is nearing 20 million.

The point being big action RPG's are about 3 times as popular as big turn-based RPG's in recent years even if you exclude the outliers on both sides. You guys are making me play devils advocate here. Again I PERSONALLY like the turn-based games more and would love another one but I also understand why they've decided not to go that route anymore.

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

Turned-based FF's should be made with a smaller budget. I'm not a fan of the Octopath games including their art style, but Bravely Default is pretty much there, but it could be more of what I wanted. FF hasn't shied away from spin-offs in the past. Some of those FFs were great games enjoyed by plenty. I don't get why they have stopped making them.

Maybe Sea of Stars will remind developers that the genre can sill work and be appealing on a wider scale than niche titles 

8 hours ago, thedarkstark said:
final-fantasy-16.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

Square Enix producer Naoki Yoshida reveals that the upcoming Final Fantasy 16 will have several hours of cutscenes.

Even if it's all rendered in-engine that's a lot of time & a lot of dialogue

That's... not good. On the other hand...

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not to me. I don't want to spend long periods of watching something when I could be playing.

I'm a big-time cutscene enjoyer. I like just gameplay too, shout out to DOOM Eternal and Dark Souls, but also a big fan of cutscenes.

IIRC, 100% is expected to only take 66 hours. So, sounds rough for you. Hopefully you can enjoy it in spite of that.

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm a big-time cutscene enjoyer. I like just gameplay too, shout out to DOOM Eternal and Dark Souls, but also a big fan of cutscenes.

IIRC, 100% is expected to only take 66 hours. So, sounds rough for you. Hopefully you can enjoy it in spite of that.

MGS4 must be your favorite game ever then. 

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Bacon said:
34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I like cutscenes too especially when they're well done, but not any that last longer than five minutes and THAT'S pushing it.

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

MGS4 must be your favorite game ever then. 

This is EXACTLY what I thought of when I saw that post about the cut scene length. I never bothered to finish four because of the obnoxiously long cut scenes.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I like cutscenes too especially when they're well done, but not any that last longer than five minutes and THAT'S pushing it.

FFXIV is a walking simulator where you walk from cutscene to cutscene but sometimes the game messes up and puts in gameplay.

And I love that.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that's concerning... This game may have dropped from Day One for me to a "Wait and See".

I'd say there are at least 40 hours of solid gameplay based on everything I've heard so far. Still nothing wrong with waiting and seeing. It is the smarter thing to do in general.

• Halal 1

So, to boost pre-order sales SE should have partnered with Monster or Domino's.

Monster has the claw mark M which could pass for Ifirit's claws. Domino's may not seem like the most obvious choice, but, what are the people called who can take the form of an Eikon? A Dominant. Obviously, the incentive to partake is demo access or maybe even early access. Or maybe FFXVI rewards for FFXIV. Alas, it is too late for SE.

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Only watched the first bit. Best footage of gameplay so far. Looks pretty fun.

Also, this ain't the """official thread"""

Post it here! I don't what this thread of negativity to be the main destination for D1P come the launch of 16.

• 1 month later...