Good Omens 2 (Amazon Prime Video, 28 July 2023) - Official Trailer

Oh yeah, this show. I watched this and am not sure I can remember much of anything about it at this point. Didn't season one of this come our like 5 years ago?

I guess COVID happened, but sheesh... is this from the creators of the Venture Bros?

I recall finding this show to be extremely okay-ish. Doubt I will make the time for season two seeing as how much great content is out there.

21 hours ago, ort said:

I guess COVID happened, but sheesh... is this from the creators of the Venture Bros?

It's not, it's from writer Neil Gaiman (The Sandman, Coraline, American Gods), who helped shepherd season 1 of Good Omens, which was based on the book he co-authored with Terry Pratchett. Good Omens season 2 is all new material since they already finished adapting the whole book in season 1, so Gaiman has said season 2 is based on a lot of ideas, etc. that he and Terry Pratchett discussed before Terry Pratchett died. I was also somewhat underwhelmed by season 1, I'll have to give it another watch before season 2, but I'm certainly curious about a sequel to an adapted work not based on anything pre-existing material with one of the two original creators still involved.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Good Omens 2 (Amazon Prime Video, 28 July 2023) - Official Trailer
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2023 at 10:06 PM, Mercury33 said:

I love the book and enjoyed the first season. But that season covered the whole book and I have zero desire to check out season two 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, I just started season 2 and I have to say . . . I'm enjoying it more than season 1 (so far). I like season 1 but season 1 often felt tonally confused, and the kids side of the plot across the 6 episodes really dragged things down. I've only seen 1 episode so far, but season 2 seems more confident in its tone and less all over the place. The show continues to be fun, funny, and charming (all in a very British way) and I think people who enjoyed season 1 (or the book) will enjoy season 2. Michael Sheen and David Tennant continue to have excellent chemistry in the title roles. I think if you watch this in the same spirit as Douglas Adams' work like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy helps set the mood better to enjoy the show.

Neil Gaiman is back, having co-written every episode for the season, and the same director who did all of the first season, Douglas McKinnon (longtime Gaiman collaborator) is back having directed all episodes for season 2 as well. Gaiman has said that he and Terry Pratchett had outlined an entire sequel book once upon a time and Gaiman is drawing on that for season 2 (while also having said he's saving most of it for a season 3). So while not based on another Good Omens book, it also kind of is. This is new Gaiman Good Omens, I figured all-new Gaiman content would have fired up more people around here. :p 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:44 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned but this dropped on July 28 - I'll definitely be watching this weekend. Anyone start this yet? It's 6 episodes again.

@AbsolutSurgen

Haven't started it yet -- I've been working 7-days a week, and haven't watched anything with just me/my wife...  I think we will start this soon though.

• Halal 1

Finally finished the season - I won't post spoilers (unless marked) since all the episodes dropped at once. This season was, for me, better than the first season overall despite that being based on the book. The show still meanders way too much, with the human plotline (Maggie and Nina) going ultimately nowhere and not really working as the metaphor the show wants them to be for Crowley/Aziraphale. But the plotline itself ends up being a red herring too. The mini-stories in some of the episodes were pretty entertaining and anything non-human story related was fun. The show is very lightweight and doesn't have a lot of stakes which I think turns people off. Neil Gaiman doesn't like violence and isn't going to write big action conclusions to his stories so all this buildup to little payoff can be offputting and that happens here like it did in season 1. However, it's all worth it for the last ten minutes of the final episode and the dynamics they are setting up for a potential season 3. I think people who can vibe on Good Omens' charming but inconsequential tone will enjoy season 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this season last night and have concluded that while I can fully recognize that this is a delightfully light-hearted show, I just don't think I'm really the target audience for its unabashedly "twee" sensibilities.  In fact, there were many instances where it outright crossed the line from "twee" into "cloying" without a hint of self-reflection.  This issue was definitely heightened in this season when compared to the first and I do have to wonder if that's simply due to the (lamentable) absence of Terry Pratchett's influence from the storyline.  So much of the show's attempts at humor just came off as "cutesy try-hard" rather than as something genuine.

I'll also echo what @Greatoneshere says about how goddamned much the show meandered over the course of its six episodes.  I still have no bloody idea what the point of the flashback sequences to 1800s Scotland or the WWII Blitz or if there was a point, then I completely forgot what it was within thirty seconds of its resolution as evidence of how completely inconsequential they were.  This second season could easily have been three or four episodes long and it would probably be far, far stronger for it.

The show wasn't a bad way to spend a couple of evenings, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to the third season with any real sense of anticipation.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I finished this season last night and have concluded that while I can fully recognize that this is a delightfully light-hearted show, I just don't think I'm really the target audience for its unabashedly "twee" sensibilities.  In fact, there were many instances where it outright crossed the line from "twee" into "cloying" without a hint of self-reflection.  This issue was definitely heightened in this season when compared to the first and I do have to wonder if that's simply due to the (lamentable) absence of Terry Pratchett's influence from the storyline.  So much of the show's attempts at humor just came off as "cutesy try-hard" rather than as something genuine.

I'll also echo what @Greatoneshere says about how goddamned much the show meandered over the course of its six episodes.  I still have no bloody idea what the point of the flashback sequences to 1800s Scotland or the WWII Blitz or if there was a point, then I completely forgot what it was within thirty seconds of its resolution as evidence of how completely inconsequential they were.  This second season could easily have been three or four episodes long and it would probably be far, far stronger for it.

The show wasn't a bad way to spend a couple of evenings, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to the third season with any real sense of anticipation.

I agree with these sentiments - the show is very "twee" in a Pushing Daisies kind of way, but not as successful. Gaiman's American Gods and The Sandman adaptations are just meatier, more compelling storytelling by Gaiman than Good Omens, which is more Hitchiker's Guide-ish but without as sharp satire. The show definitely slips in cloying from time to time and it is cutesy. It's a fun and breezy watch but definitely not upper echelon material. I was glad to be spared the kids plotline from season 1, so that may have biased me towards liking season 2 more. :p 

David Tennant and Michael Sheen still have excellent chemistry that's worth watching though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, Greatoneshere said:

David Tennant and Michael Sheen still have excellent chemistry that's worth watching though.

The fact that season 2 spends a lot more time on that and a lot less time on human stuff that doesn't involve them automatically makes it better IMO.

• Hype 1