Wokists in the Army are erasing 'murican history.

Renaming things, not having public displays of negative history like honoring Confederate generals (leave it to books, internet, and museums), and keeping separation of church and state and church and school is ERASING American history, not ACKNOWLEDGING and FIXING it.

I mean, what's next?! I have to consider which English pronouns I use with people? Unisex bathrooms that anyone can use? Less sexy M&M's? But I don't like having to be considerate of others, it's annoying which means let's trample people's rights and basic humanity.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Renaming things, not having public displays of negative history like honoring Confederate generals (leave it to books, internet, and museums), and keeping separation of church and state and church and school is ERASING American history, not ACKNOWLEDGING and FIXING it.

I mean, what's next?! I have to consider which English pronouns I use with people? Unisex bathrooms that anyone can use? Less sexy M&M's? But I don't like having to be considerate of others, it's annoying which means let's trample people's rights and basic humanity.

You had me in the first half.

• Hugs 1

I still think the better option to removing statues of confederate generals is to put a plaque up right next to it that actually explains all of the horrible things they did, but the decisions about those things should be left up to the people in that community.

At the same time, literally having one of the largest military bases in the country named after a fucking Confederate general?

I was actually about to make a point right here about how you wouldn't see a German army base named after a Nazi, but that actually isn't true. There are quite a few, as a matter of fact. The largest base in Germany is named after Erwin Rommel (not quite the same, they don't call it "Fort Rommel," there is the "Field marshall Rommel Barracks within the Augustdorf military base). Huh. TIL.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I still think the better option to removing statues of confederate generals is to put a plaque up right next to it that actually explains all of the horrible things they did, but the decisions about those things should be left up to the people in that community.

I'd agree with you if those statues were put up during the Confederacy, but they were pretty much all put up starting in like 1910-1920 to remind the black people who was in charge.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I'd agree with you if those statues were put up during the Confederacy, but they were pretty much all put up starting in like 1910-1920 to remind the black people who was in charge.

Fair point, and I will say the same effect of what I was talking about could be accomplished by removing the statues and putting up something that spotlights the black people of the area and what they went through.

I don't know, I don't have the answers. I just know that Republicans want to both protect Confederate monuments and ban books that say the Confederacy was racist. That should tell you a lot. History is only protected if it's the history we want to tell.

Confederate statues are not history, are not art, and have no value. Their only purpose was to remind black Americans of their place. Knock every single one of those ugly things down. 

And no military base should be named after enemies of the US. Why on earth would we name an army base after someone whose whole job was to kill US soldiers??

If southerners want to honor their heritage, then there are any number of southerners who stayed loyal to the Union and did not fight to preserve slavery, like the Rock of fucking Chickamauga. 

• Halal 2

13 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Confederate statues are not history, are not art, and have no value. Their only purpose was to remind black Americans of their place. Knock every single one of those ugly things down. 

And no military base should be named after enemies of the US. Why on earth would we name an army base after someone whose whole job was to kill US soldiers??

If southerners want to honor their heritage, then there are any number of southerners who stayed loyal to the Union and did not fight to preserve slavery, like the Rock of fucking Chickamauga. 

Or people like Newt Knight. They made a movie about him and everything.

However, I have a well-documented problem with how Hollywood never goes so far as to portray the confederacy as evil. Either the confederacy isn't really depicted at all (Glory, Lincoln), they "both sides" the war (Gods and Generals, Gettysburg), or the main character IS a confederate soldier but totally is not a racist and this movie is totally not a condemnation of anyone who might have had southern sympathies (Josey Wales, Ride with the Devil, Cold Mountain, Free State of Jones, any John Wayne movie), or the Union is the bad guy (Gangs of New York)

It's like we dance around the civil war even though it happened 160 years ago.

I'm sorry if your grandpappy fought for the confederacy. Maybe they were a conscript who didn't believe in the cause. Bad news: they probably did. I have multiple ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. They can all burn in hell, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure if I met them today I would hate their guts and the feeling would be mutual.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

It amuses me to no end how right wingers today (ever since the south lost really) mythologize the Confederacy of the American Civil War when they consider themselves such patriots. Ah yes, I love the group that mutinied against the country I claim I would defend to the death. Sounds like a Northerner to me!

Here's my 2 cents, if you fought for the South, you're a traitor the the entire United States, therefore there shouldn't be ANY type of sentimentality or utilizing those names for prestigious places. It's always baffled me how its even up for debate to continue to hold these people in high esteem. That being said, and even with a lot of military history in my own family, I don't really care about the name of a military base.

• Halal 2

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It amuses me to no end how right wingers today (ever since the south lost really) mythologize the Confederacy of the American Civil War when they consider themselves such patriots. Ah yes, I love the group that mutinied against the country I claim I would defend to the death. Sounds like a Northerner to me!

A lot of people spent a lot of time indoctrinating the sons of the south to think that the were simply fighting for freedom. Slavery had nothing to do with it. No-siree, not even a bit. Freedom to do what, you might ask?! Get the fuck out of here, you carpet-bagging whoreson! It's our freeom for the rich to enslave n**** and  the reason we aren't getting paid is because it's all the n***** stealing our jobs! Both! At the same time! I don't care if that doesn't make any sense!

Of course that's fucking horseshit, but groups like the United Daughters of the Confederacy have

• True 1

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

However, I have a well-documented problem with how Hollywood never goes so far as to portray the confederacy as evil. Either the confederacy isn't really depicted at all (Glory, Lincoln), they "both sides" the war (Gods and Generals, Gettysburg), or the main character IS a confederate soldier but totally is not a racist and this movie is totally not a condemnation of anyone who might have had southern sympathies (Josey Wales, Ride with the Devil, Cold Mountain, Free State of Jones, any John Wayne movie), or the Union is the bad guy (Gangs of New York)

Don’t worry, soon they’ll start both-sides-ing WW2

IMG-7663.jpg

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

Something I wanna say too is that these Confederate figures are the definition of mediocrity. Just the shittiest generals out there. John Bell Hood??? More like John Bell Gonna Get My Arm Shot Off Cause I’m A Dumbass. Do you know who the Mariners have a statue of outside their stadium? Ken Griffey Jr. Not Willie fucking Bloomquist. Replacement level generals. Get that garbage out of here. 

• True 1

23 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Young Sheldon has been on the air for longer than the Confederacy lasted; monuments to deserters, traitors, and losers should all be destroyed.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Young Sheldon has been on the air for longer than the Confederacy lasted; monuments to deserters, traitors, and losers should all be destroyed.

bro fuck you for reminding me that Young Sheldon is a thing

FUCK

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I agree. But the problem is we have generations of people who worship these asshats. I think the process of unfucking that indoctrination is important and we do need to be thoughtful of that. We want to dismantle their heroes, not risk making them into martyrs. Which, to be fair, they already are.

I'm reminded of how the "stab in the back" myth in Germany after The Great War directly led to the rise of the Nazis, and that didn't involve literally over a century of indoctrination and lost cause mythology.