Is "Lawrence of Arabia" worth watching?

I've never seen the movie, I'm a big history fan and buff for WW1 and WW2, so this movie has always intrigued me but I never got around to watching it. Yesterday, my internet and TV went out for like 7 hours, but was only supposed to be for 2 hours initially (Comcast kept pushing the "we'll have it fixed by" time, first it was 1:30-2:30pm, then it was suddenly "by 7pm" :| ), I have a digital copy of this (on a HDD) and went to put it on but saw it was nearly 4 hours long (WTF) so decided to hold off (had I known my internet + TV were going to be out for the length of time that they were I may have gone ahead with watching it, especially since I felt under the weather as it was). So, my question is... is this movie worth 4 hours of my time and life? I'd certainly be more willing if it's at least somewhat historically accurate. :vortex:

Just now, Kamusha said:

It's one of the few classics I've never got around to watching because it has the reputation of being a movie you have to see on the big screen. I'm sure it still works at home but the scale won't be the same.

You're absolutely correct that the theatrical experience represents the ultimate way to watch this film.

However, with the advent of UHD home theater systems, that gap has narrowed significantly.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You're absolutely correct that the theatrical experience represents the ultimate way to watch this film.

However, with the advent of UHD home theater systems, that gap has narrowed significantly.

My "home theater" could not even close to doing this movie justice but if I ever run across someone with a nice wall projector I may just settle on that.

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

The only problem is the actual history is much wilder than the movie.

I think the movie actually does a decent job, all things considered.

It's a little too "white man saves the noble savages," and T.E. Lawrence knew enough that there was no way he thought the Brits would ever willingly give up control, but he didn't know anything about the Sykes-Picot agreement until after it came out in the papers.