Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "Physical Collector's Edition" trailer

Brian

First one was hard, but sometimes hard things can be a lot of fun... and it was. 

I looked up a bunch of shit online to make sure I got the 'good' ending. There was no way that I was going to go through all that punishing gameplay and only get the crap ending. I don't even feel bad!

19 hours ago, Derek said:

First one was hard, but sometimes hard things can be a lot of fun... and it was. 

I looked up a bunch of shit online to make sure I got the 'good' ending. There was no way that I was going to go through all that punishing gameplay and only get the crap ending. I don't even feel bad!

Are you including the DLC? The last DLC they dropped in August 2021, Wounds of Eventide, provides the True Ending to the game. It's not easy to get since you have to do certain things on your first playthrough then do a second playthrough and do more things to get this new area at the end to then get the true ending, it's a significant amount of additional end story stuff for a game like Blasphemous. I do remember working my ass off for the "good" ending for the base game though.

True ending spoilers:

Spoiler

After you get the true ending and go through all the additional story content, there's a post-credits scene that hints at where Blasphemous 2 is going because despite the Penitent One being dead and he and Crisanta having finally killed the three-faced Golden God (the High Wills), a massive womb descends from the clouds above Custodia and brings a humanoid figure inside it.

Very happy with this news, the first one was excellent and this will be a day one for me.

2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

The first one is one of there rare "retro" games that actually felt like a late SNES game. I haven't finished it yet but still looking forward to this. 

Honestly I'd argue it was 32-bit PS1 Symphony of the Night level even, the games graphics (helped by excellent art design) were stunning. Graphics looks to be even better here based on that teaser trailer.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Honestly I'd argue it was 32-bit PS1 Symphony of the Night level even, the games graphics (helped by excellent art design) were stunning. Graphics looks to be even better here based on that teaser trailer.

Reminded me of something chunkier like Demon's Crest character model wise.

• True 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 24 August 2023) - Official Release Date Trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 24 August 2023) - "Weapon Showcase: The Praying Blade" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 24 August 2023) - first 16 minutes of gameplay

Game Information

Game Title: Blasphemous 2

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 24, 2023)
  • PC (Aug 24, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 24, 2023)

Developer: The Game Kitchen

Publisher: Team17

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 100 / 100

Blasphemous 2 brings a stunning grotesque world to explore and stories that will haunt you long after you complete this truly remarkable action-platformer.

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 5 / 5

Through all the beauty and bloodshed, Blasphemous 2 is a game that demonstrates why the pixel style endures and should be recognised as one of the best-looking games of the year. As you find yourself entrenched in its eerie environs, you will undoubtedly find it hard to put down.

Try Hard Guides - 10 / 10

Blasphemous II will go down as an icon of its genre, attracting fans of Metroidvanias, Soulslike games, and newcomers alike. Its dark world is wholly unique and is gorgeously presented with the best pixel art I’ve ever seen. The talent, passion, and creativity that went into this title elevate it far above even its most frustrating moments, making a game that captures your attention and keeps you engaged even in its toughest fights.

GamesCreed - Daman Shelley - 4.8 / 5

Blasphemous 2 is the perfect sequel to the first game and simply feels like a continuation of Blasphemous story while not changing what it doesn’t need to. The game is perfect for fans of both Castlevania who enjoy the challenge of Dark Souls. Though the dialogue may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it certainly immerses you.

The Punished Backlog - Donovan Harrell - 9.5 / 10

If you’re a fan of 2D Metroidvania and Souls-like games, Blasphemous 2 is a must-play. It has the best of both worlds while crafting a unique identity that expands and improves on the original Blasphemous in every way. If you just want a damn good side-scrolling action game, it’s a must-play. If you’re a fan of dark fantasy, Spanish art and architecture, religious commentary, or anything macabre… it’s also a must-play. I’ll keep this simple: It’s a must-play.

Use a Potion - 9.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is absolutely brilliant, with the game maintaining the core mechanics that made its predecessor so good whilst evolving upon the combat in a deep and strategic way. Alternating between weapons always feels satisfying, whether that’s when strategically switching up when facing off against a hulking enemy or utilising their unique traversal methods, whilst simply exploring the beautiful yet haunting world and discovering all of its secrets is just as tantalising as before.

It’s a case of ‘why fix what isn’t broken’, with Blasphemous 2 introducing plentiful changes to make it feel fresh, but also offering the same sense of familiarity that players would’ve loved the first time around. Just play it, seriously, it’s THAT damn good.

Generación Xbox - Frank Montes - Spanish - 93 / 100

Up to this point it is quite clear that this is no ordinary continuation; The number two is not just an indication of a simple sequel. This time we find that Blasphemous II is more and better than its first installment, as we have seen in each of its sections, standing out in all of them and raising the bar of quality to exorbitant levels.

33bits - Fernando Sánchez - Spanish - 92 / 100

Blasphemous 2 takes the best of Blasphemous and takes it to a new level. With structural changes that pivot towards a more "metroidvania" oriented experience, The Game Kitchen offers us a worthy sequel that improves what the first installment offered us without renouncing the hallmarks represented by its art and its imagery as beautiful as terrifying. A sequel more than worthy, necessary.

3DNews - Денис Щенников - Russian - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is great work on mistakes and just an excellent adventure, full secrets and mysteries.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 9 / 10

The Game Kitchen gets it right with the new features when it comes to building a sequel that learns from the first Blasphemous to improve everything they did back in 2019.

Areajugones - Claudio Torres - Spanish - 9 / 10

For any metroidvania lover, this game is a must. It solves the shortcomings of the first delivery and multiplies the virtues of it. It practically does not fail in anything and hits in everything, being a cocktail of addictive gameplay, mysteries, discovery, exploration and high but compensated difficulty that has nothing to envy to several of the considered best metroidvania of all time.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4.5 / 5

The battles are tough but fair, the magic and parrying system is satisfying, the weapon system caters to different playstyles, and the Liturgical Horror visuals are hauntingly beautiful.

Bazimag - Matin Nasiri - Persian - 9 / 10

All in all, Blasphemous 2 is a worthy sequel. If you enjoyed playing the first game, do not hesitate to experience the sequel. Everything that made the first game enjoyable is now better, more interesting, and more expanded in Blasphemous 2.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 9 / 10

Blasphemous II is a fantastic game that meets expectations as a fan of the first game and leaves the player satisfied and engaged throughout.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is an intense and haunting pilgrimage through a disturbing universe. The metroidvania sequel offers an adventure filled with brutal confrontations and immersive exploration in a more refined experience. The multiple weapons bring variety to the encounters, the elaborate maps have interesting platforming challenges and the world is inviting with its many secrets. As a continuation, the game dares little and introduces practically no significant novelties. However, practically every aspect has been improved: the challenge is better balanced, there are many customization options, and the atmosphere is richly crafted. Engaging and awe-inspiring, Blasphemous 2 is a spectacular metroidvania not to be missed.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

While it’s unlikely to win over anyone that tried the first and didn’t vibe with it, Blasphemous 2 is undoubtedly a treat for fans wanting to spend more time with the Penitent One. With more variety in terms of both visuals and gameplay, this is a confident sequel that builds on the foundations of its predecessor. And while its story may be confounding at times, we can’t help but be mesmerised by its dark and mysterious world.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 9 / 10

With robust combat, improved traversal, and a return to the series' surreal art style and fascinating world-building, Blasphemous 2 is a triumphant sequel.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 90 / 100

Blasphemous 2 is the perfect sequel fans could ever ask for. The sequel doubles down on everything Blasphemous is beloved for, and then proceeds to add a slew of new features. The result is a beautifully rendered action platformer with challenging combat, varied character builds, rewarding exploration, a plethora of side content and some great music. I would have liked to see more epic screen-filling boss fights, some post-campaign modes and reasonable regional pricing, but I guess the last wish is not up to the developer. Team17, if you’re reading this, fix your prices. Blasphemous 2 is a gem of a game otherwise.

GamesRadar+ - Joe Donnelly - 4.5 / 5

"Easily the game's crowning features, Blasphemous 2's blockbuster boss showdowns are spectacular affairs, sometimes bizarre and always brutal."

Gaming Instincts - Leonid Melikhov - 9 / 10

I am just going to be flat-out transparent here and tell you that if you enjoy titles such as Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring but want a different setting in a completely different dimensional format with awesome atmosphere, sound, and music, then you must play Blasphemous 2. If you are a Souls fan, then you need to play this game. It’s simple as that.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a bold step up for The Game Kitchen, and somehow manages to feel both familiar and brand new.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4.5 / 5

Blasphemous 2 has earned its place as one of the great metroidvanias.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 takes the essence of the first game and elevates it to a new level. Challenging but fair, graphically simple but visually stunning. It is a sequel made with care and respect, that any fan of the format will find tremendously satisfying.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100

Blasphemous 2 is a lovely search action game made for anyone who wants a challenge, an R-rated experience, and a good mix of combat and exploration. For veterans, this sequel fixes a few of the problems from the first game so that it seems less cheap and buggy.

LevelUp - Santiago Villicaña - Spanish - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 really nails the sequel formula: it beefs up the gameplay, expands the world and all its hidden goodies, and keeps you hooked to give it another shot. In this game, every bit of effort you put in pays off.

Nintendo Blast - Alan Murilo Pereira Duque - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is one of the best metroidvanias available on the market. From the impeccable visuals to the gameplay enhancements, the only real blasphemy here is not enjoying this carefully curated sequel by The Game Kitchen. So rise and accept your fate, Penitent: Cvstodia's fate is once again in your hands (and this is fortunately great news).

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 sticks with the exquisitely dark and gory style of its predecessor whilst building on the core combat and improving upon the platforming we saw the first time around. The Game Kitchen could have served us up more of the same and we'd have been perfectly happy. However, they've made meaningful upgrades here, with deeper and more satisfying combat and three upgradable weapon sets that combine perfectly with environmental puzzling that feels more cohesive and fluid overall. The Penitent One's return to Cvstodia is an absolute banger.

NoobFeed - Jay Claassen - 90 / 100

Blasphemous 2 is yet another masterwork from The Game Kitchen and a brilliant sequel to Blasphemous. With the mountain of strange lore and even stranger things to fight against, you’ll find yourself coming back for more each time and trying even harder to get to the next part of your adventure.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 9 / 10

It's always great to see a sequel improve on the original while keeping the spirit of the original alive. I loved my time in the crazy world of Blasphemous 2, with plenty of secrets to find and great combat that keeps you on your toes. Though its story could be a little more cohesive, it doesn't take much away from the overall product. Blasphemous 2 is easily one of the best indie titles of the year.

Push Square - Simon Fitzgerald - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 takes the foundations of its well-received predecessor and builds upon it in all the right ways. Tweaking combat to make it faster, smoother, and more accurate, removing insta-death scenarios to make platforming more manageable, and packing the game full to the brim with secrets and collectibles. The great attention to detail in the presentation and high level of polish make Blasphemous 2 a delightfully memorable experience that players will look back on fondly for years to come.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 surpassed the first game on every aspect and created a unique terrifying world with a fantastic gameplay system that stood out from the other many metroidvanias in the market

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is an incredible dark journey within Christian mythology, but it's not just that: it's the evolution of a brilliant and satisfying play structure, capable of involving and exciting. A metroidvania to have.

TheSixthAxis - Steve C - 9 / 10

I thoroughly enjoyed my time back with The Penitent One and would heartily recommend it both to fans of the original and newcomers alike. There are enough changes to make it feel like a new title whilst still having continuity in setting and aesthetic.

Twinfinite - Keenan McCall - 4.5 / 5

When all is said and done, Blasphemous 2 is exactly what it sets out to be. It meets and surpasses the benchmark set by the original ever so slightly, all while offering some new innovations to keep the formula fresh. Fans won’t be disappointed, and while it might not be a triumphant reinvention of the genre, it’s still a solid offering that newcomers can find the beauty of Metroidvanias through.

WayTooManyGames - Heidi Hawes - 9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a brilliant follow-up to its iconic predecessor. The combat has been improved from the original, and features new weapons and skills to better customize the gameplay to different playstyles.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 88 / 100

Blasphemous 2 surpasses its predecessor in everything, thus becoming a new jewel of Spanish development and one of the best metroidvania of recent years. It is an authentic work of art that we never tire of contemplating, listening to and, above all, playing. Praise the Miracle and praise be to The Game Kitchen.

Rectify Gaming - Henry - 8.8 / 10

The Game Kitchen has created a captivating and hauntingly beautiful experience that stands as a testament to the artistry and creativity of indie game development. Blasphemous 2 is a worthy sequel to its predecessor and a must play for anyone that’s a fan of Souls-like Metroidvanias.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Maiellano - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is one of the best metroidvanias currently on the market. Able to shake off the trend of wanting to "copy Hollow Knight," The Game Kitchen's new effort improves on many of its predecessor's flaws and picks up, in a much more convincing way, that heavy legacy left by two-dimensional Castlevanias. Net of a handful of smudges that prevent it from achieving excellence, Blasphemous 2 is a must-have for metroidvania lovers and an excellent entry ticket for novices to the genre.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 8.8 / 10

At several points in my lengthy journey through the Gothic delight that is Blasphemous 2, I worried the monstrous foe in front of me would spell an end to my journey. But without these frequent frustrations, the triumphs wouldn’t be as great. Blasphemous 2 takes inspiration from those that came before it, but by intertwining a gorgeous art style, enticing exploration, and rewarding combat, it rises above the horde of Castlevania-inspired action titles.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8.6 / 10

A sequel that first of all thinks about smoothing out the previous imperfections, before offering a series of very well implemented innovations overall.

BaziCenter - Farzan Mihanzadeh - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Priced at a decent $30 and the size of only 2GB, Blasphemous 2 offers well over 20 hours of Metroidvania Action, and for those who are patient and are willing to learn and explore, it's a must buy.

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 8.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is another excellent Metroidvania that’s quite different from its predecessor in a number of ways, even if it doesn’t quite manage to supersede it overall.

Capsule Computers - Claudio Meira - 8.5 / 10

Possibly the best classic Metroidvania this year, Blasphemous II delivers a solid action-adventure game topped with somber religion-inspired visuals.

Checkpoint Gaming - Tom Quirk - 8.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a truly stand-out Metroidvania that is an easy recommendation for fans of the original and newcomers alike. From its detailed and fluid animations to its wide assortment of gameplay improvements, Blasphemous 2 is everything a sequel to the already-strong Blasphemous should be. Although it isn't as consistently challenging as its formidable art direction and clear Soulslike influence would suggest, the core experience of Blasphemous 2 is still something fans of 2D platformers and Metroidvania exploration are sure to greatly appreciate.

Cultured Vultures - Mike Worby - 8.5 / 10

Though Blasphemous 2 lacks the wow factor of the first game, it does smooth out its edges to the point where it feels like a tighter, more fluid experience.

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 8.5 / 10

Anyone who likes Metroidvanias should absolutely make time for Blasphemous 2. Aside from an underwhelming final act, I had nearly consistent fun with this one from start to finish. From the gorgeous visuals to the customizable combat, your journey as the Penitent One will be filled with steady highs and only occasional lows. It’s a great sequel, a great game, and just a great time in general. If you were a fan of Blasphemous, you’re in for a treat with Blasphemous 2.

Gamepur - Zackerie Fairfax - 8.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 feels very satisfying to play, look at, and conquer. It’s a step up from the original title and offers quite the challenge for those brave enough to attempt it. That said, it’s a bit on the short side and suffers marginally from Soulslike tropes.

The story, for one, is incomprehensible if you aren’t reading every line of dialogue, and if you miss something important, there’s no going back. I spent my playthrough disregarding the story cause I had gotten too deep, and none of it made sense to me. That said, it was still a super fun and exhilarating experience, even if I had no clue what I was fighting for.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 8.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 has an excellent world shaping, combat system and level design that come together to create this impressive and unique experience. It does take the lessons learnt from the previous game and delivers an excellent result.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 8.5 / 10

It is clear to see that Blasphemous 2 is an excellent sequel which addresses many of the issues that plagued the debut game. The combat retains its tactical and methodical nature but amps it up with improved mechanics and the breadth of customisation available to players. Similarly, exploration is even more enjoyable this time around, with environmental puzzles doing their part. Combine all of that with the stunning pixel art visuals, and you have a great time ahead of you, even if the storytelling can be a tad ostentatious.

INVEN - Seungjin Kang - Korean - 8.5 / 10

'Blasphemous 2' stands out with its surreal art direction and eccentric imagination. The map design unfolds through epic boss battles and a gradually expanding world. The introduction of three new weapons adds depth to the gameplay action, while exploration and challenges contribute to its excellence within the realm of modern metroidvania.

PC Invasion - Nathan Ball - 9 / 10

If you've been praying for a good Metroidvania, then Blasphemous 2 has come to offer you salvation. Strange cutscenes aside, this is an exceptional game full of tight combat, satisfying secrets, and incredible bosses.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Blasphemous 2 retains the core elements of the first game, but improves them with the addition of new combat, movement, and exploration mechanics. A must-play game for fans of Soulsvania games.

SECTOR.sk - Vladimír Kvitkovič - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2 uses all the positives that were firmly established in the first part and fully worked. Fans of this pixel platformer will be pleased with 3 different types of weapons and their uses, new items and a statue system in the inventory, as well as the continuation of the penitent's story in a new, spectacular world full of bizarre scenery.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8.5 / 10

Penitent One is back, and he's back in a big way in the sequel to one of the most interesting indie titles of recent years. Blasphemous 2 was quite a surprise when the game was announced earlier this year, as it seemed its predecessor wasn't that long ago. The sequel, however, does everything better than its predecessor, artistically, gameplay-wise and also in terms of overall atmosphere.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 84 / 100

Blasphemous 2 is a very challenging game but by and large, it’s a fair one, too. Timing, persistence, and the ability to read patterns — not brute force — are the only keys to making it out the other side. In terms of level design and weapon variety, it’s a step forward from the first game. If you enjoyed Blasphemous, the sequel will feel both familiar and surprising in equal measure.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 4 / 5

Blasphemous 2 is the perfect example of a game made in the image of the classics of yore, but fully aware of the current contexts. As metroidvania, it is a game that is differentiated by its images and themes, but the difficulty of the gameplay and the demand it places on you are within what you are already used to. In an era where FromSoftware inspires more and more talent, Blasphemous 2 is yet another fine example of indie studios following the masters.

Everyeye.it - Riccardo Cantù   - Italian - 8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 presents itself to players as a significant step forward in almost all aspects already appreciated in the original chapter.

Expansive - Jay Jones - 4 / 5

Blasphemous 2 is a bold, bloody, brilliant sequel that betters everything that came before it. The Game Kitchen have polished, refined, and re-energised this franchise, crafting a fantastically unique and compelling souls-like, metroidvania that may just be one of the best things Team 17 have ever published.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a success. If you enjoyed the first trip, here you will love this new pilgrimage.

GamingTrend - Noah Rigsby - 80 / 100

Blasphemous 2 continues the achievements set by its predecessor while adding three new ways to fight. Not straying outside the lines, Blaspehmous 2 is simply more Blasphemous at the end of the day.

IGN - Travis Northup - 8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is an orthodox Metroidvania with style, creepy bosses, and a gloriously gross return to Cvstodia.

Metro GameCentral - Steve Boxer - 8 / 10

A significant improvement on the original and undoubtedly the best 2D Soulslike game so far, with a macabre and imaginative style all of its own.

NintendoWorldReport - Alex Orona - 8 / 10

The customization is substantial and the story brings even more rich lore to this world. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Cvstodia and plan on going back to 100% it, after I've had a bit of a break. Thank the miracle, this game rules.

Shacknews - Nicholas Tan - 8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a solid sequel that improves upon its predecessor by being truer to its Metroidvania inspirations. It refines the concept of the original game by mixing classic platforming with more modern Soulslike themes. The combat and platforming aren’t ground-breaking, relying a lot on backtracking and collectibles, but the difficulty level generally strikes a fine balance between being challenging and fair. Along with a wonderful art style and spirited music, the game makes blaspheming a reason worth fighting for.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 4 / 5

Blasphemous 2 is a streamlined sequel that any genre fan can enjoy, especially with its creepy cast of characters and superb bosses.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.9 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a sequel that knows how to improve a brilliant concept, previously held back by a dull combat system and a under-developed skill system. The art in the game and the monster design shine less in this second chapter of the series, but variety is now assured.

Fextralife - Fexelea - 7.8 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a fun and reward-driven Metroidvania that is sure to please series fans and is a good entry point for any platformer action gamers looking for explorative gameplay. While not groundbreaking in any specific aspect, Blasphemous 2 gives an excellent amount of gameplay for a very good price and is thus well worth its value.

GameGrin - Conor McGuigan - 7.5 / 10

Though steeped in stunning artwork and illuminated by its intriguing lore, Blasphemous 2 is ultimately a paint-by-numbers Metroidvania title that is occasionally more frustrating than it is fun.

TechRaptor - Joe Allen - 7.5 / 10

Blasphemous 2's arresting religious imagery and massive world help to offset its rote boss design and confusingly pretentious narrative.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5

Blasphemous 2 doesn’t break any new ground for the Metroidvania genre, but it delivers a holy trinity of important genre staples: rewarding exploration, top-notch boss design, and deep secrets. Those strengths are balanced out by a slew of sins, as tedious backtracking and some eye-rolling sacrilege make for a tough trial that’ll sift out the non-believers from the devotees.

GRYOnline.pl - Karol Laska - Polish - 7 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a really cool metroidvania, a full-fledged 2D soulslike and simply a good game with appealing pixel-art. It pulls you in and is able to keep the experience fresh.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a safe and competently-made sequel with a cool looking visual style, aimed at any fans of good metroidvanias. Just be sure to play it in short bursts, otherwise you'll risk burning yourself out with overall simplicity and all too familiar tropes of the genre as a whole.

PCGamesN - Nat Smith - 7 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is a well-constructed but ultimately conventional Metroidvania, and while it still delivers on holy grotesquerie and striking visuals, the end result is a sequel that feels markedly smaller in scope.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Michael Leri - 7 / 10

Blasphemous 2 is more ambitious than its predecessor with its fleshed-out swordplay and cleaner dedication to the search action genre. And while these additions give Blasphemous 2 more of an identity, they also give it more room to stumble. Said deeper combat is sticky and held back by its dedication to being adjacent to the soulslike genre. Its narrative tries to broaden the game’s world but suffers because of its lack of a solid recap and overreliance on cryptic storytelling. It’s an artistically sublime world but seemingly pays penitence with its uneven gameplay.

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored

Blasphemous 2 offers us a new adventure of the Penitent where a large part of its original formula is respected, although adding many new elements that make this sequel feel like a new and refreshing product. A highly recommended adventure that has exceeded the expectations of its first part, offering us a new challenging, addictive and charming adventure that, although it borrows many ideas and concepts from other games of this style such as Hollow Knight, Metroid or even Castlevania , manages to possess its own lore as well as its own personality. A journey to enjoy playing through an exquisite and well-thought-out mapping, original and entertaining to explore in equal parts, whose only defects may be the occasional difficulty peaks of some final bosses or not knowing where to go at certain moments of the game. adventure. Special mention of its careful artistic aspect as well as its magnificent pixel art, at the height of its predecessor, in an adventure that can easily take you 14 hours to finish it for its bad ending and some more if we want to get 100% of it. In conclusion, if you liked Blasphemous, do not hesitate to play its sequel, since you will not be disappointed.

Console Creatures - Luke Williams - Recommended

Skills and smarts are not sins in Blasphemous 2. This stellar spiritual successor to one of the best modern Metroidvanias uses them to strengthen significantly its overall spirit of play.

Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Masterpiece

Blasphemous 2 is a huge improvement upon its predecessor in just about every conceivable way; it’s a beautifully crafted adventure that might as well be the best of its kind this year.

La Orden del Pixel - David Cedrés - Spanish - Yes

With Blasphemous 2, The Game's Kitchen once again proves that sequels can not only be good but excellent, with an exquisite metroidvania that surpasses its predecessor in everything: from exploration and combat, to its interesting story and technical section.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy

Blasphemous 2 is a satisfying and meaty action platformer well worth its Metroidvania pedigree. Though I wished the difficulty of Blasphemous 2 would've been sustained throughout the experience, it progressively got easier the more you got powerful. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing because it allows for a wider audience, especially those not partial to crushingly difficult games like its predecessor.

It follows up a fantastic premise fantastically and delivers from start to finish with its solid adherence to its themes and visual playbook. Blasphemous 2's story and visual panache hooks you and doesn't let go. It also doesn't hurt that the non-linear world is so vast and there's so much to explore. So many varied enemies to fight and, though easy, bosses to vanquish.

Polygon - Paulo Kawanishi - Unscored

In the end, Blasphemous 2 is a strong union of narrative and function. Its gloomy world is full of nooks and crannies to explore, and its inhabitants have compelling stories to tell. Its boss fights — arguably the biggest piece of twine — may be frayed, but the slick mechanics and biting themes more than make up for any weakness in the braid.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Matt Cox - Unscored

A fittingly punishing mashup of Metroidvania and Dark Souls, with lovely animations of many not-so-lovely things. Just make sure you actively track down the Chalice woman, and other hidden quality of life boosters.

The Escapist - Sebastian Ruiz - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, 24 August 2023) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "Launch" trailer and "Developer Diary #1 - Taking Off"
  • 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blasphemous II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch) - "Physical Collector's Edition" trailer