Maryland AG releases 463 page report detailing 80 years of sexual abuse (at least 600 victims) and cover-ups by Archdiocese of Baltimore

22 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

What's really going to bake your noodle is when you understand that validates manifestation. Simply believing a thing will happen to you will make that thing more likely to happen. Wave function collapse, but for reality. 

Somebody's noodle is certainly baked alright. 

I don’t know about “manifesting” or what have you, but I do see having confidence in your own abilities and projecting that outward to the people you interact with as a common trait of people who find success in whatever particular thing they are doing. Not just in the financial sense with regards to work either. Even stuff like making friends, finding romantic partners, etc.. When you don’t believe you can do something, you aren’t usually going to take the steps to make it happen.

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

I dunno man you seem pretty happy to me. Like, overall. 

I think that’s more secondary though. I definitely didn’t set out looking for this level of financial success and it was more of an accident/luck I even did.

The physique was all I ever truthfully wanted and didn’t achieve it. I just got older and developed more “wisdom” and learned maybe a five dollar trophy wasn’t worth what I was sacrificing, I still would love to have it.

As sbl said, there is a confidence you manifest with success for sure.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know about “manifesting” or what have you, but I do see having confidence in your own abilities and projecting that outward to the people you interact with as a common trait of people who find success in whatever particular thing they are doing. Not just in the financial sense with regards to work either. Even stuff like making friends, finding romantic partners, etc.. When you don’t believe you can do something, you aren’t usually going to take the steps to make it happen.

Theodore Herzl. State of Israel. If you will it, Dude, it is no dream.

• Haha 2
  • Sicko 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:13 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I guess I should ask: how do you perceive free will, like what's your take? That might better help me understand. :)

I perceive free will (or the lack there of) like this:

After I've made a decision or a choice, if I was given the opportunity to reverse the course of time and make that decision or choice again without having any knowledge of the outcome or consequences of that decision or choice -- i.e., the state of the universe would be identical to as it existed it was when I made the original decision or choice -- would I make a different decision or choice, would I take the path not travelled? 

The answer to me is no - I would not, because the conditions that existed when I made the original decision or choice have not been altered.  Necessarily, the other alternative paths simply do not exist and are effectively illusions and therefore, there was never any free will to begin with that would've resulted in the alternative course of action being taken.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I genuinely want to torture everyone involved with the creation of that piece of morally abhorrent nonsense to death.

In fact, the entire "self-help" industry should be publicly disemboweled. 

If Books Could Kill is definitely my new favorite podcast. 

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also don’t forget the reason for the season: Judas Iscariot

There's a prime example of the twisted nature of God's version of free will right there.

She had to know from the moment Creation itself that Judas would betray Her Only Begotten Son in order to fulfill His divinely-ordained human sacrifice to Herself for the salvation of mankind.  Judas had absolutely no choice in this fate whatsoever and for his crime of actually helping fulfill God's own prophecy, he undoubtedly was condemned to Hell for eternity:

John 17:11-12 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I perceive free will (or the lack there of) like this:

After I've made a decision or a choice, if I was given the opportunity to reverse the course of time and make that decision or choice again without having any knowledge of the outcome or consequences of that decision or choice -- i.e., the state of the universe would be identical to as it existed it was when I made the original decision or choice -- would I make a different decision or choice, would I take the path not travelled? 

The answer to me is no - I would not, because the conditions that existed when I made the original decision or choice have not been altered.  Necessarily, the other alternative paths simply do not exist and are effectively illusions and therefore, there was never any free will to begin with that would've resulted in the alternative course of action being taken.

But this is a description of free will? Meaning: you can't know that you'd make the same choice again until after you've made it, so ostensibly you had multiple choices in front of you that you could have made, even though you'd have always made one, but you can't tell the difference, so that is free will, no? If you can't tell the difference, isn't that the same thing as free will?

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But this is a description of free will? Meaning: you can't know that you'd make the same choice again until after you've made it, so ostensibly you had multiple choices in front of you that you could have made, even though you'd have always made one, but you can't tell the difference, so that is free will, no? If you can't tell the difference, isn't that the same thing as free will?

He is saying that if you could replay time over and over, the choice would always be the same because of the physical/chemical/nuclear/quantum conditions insist on events carrying out a certain way (including every single action in our brain).

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

He is saying that if you could replay time over and over, the choice would always be the same because of the physical/chemical/nuclear/quantum conditions insist on events carrying out a certain way (including every single action in our brain).

Yeah, that's determinism. My point is that it isn't incompatible with free will. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The existence or non-existence of free will is independent of whether or not the subjective agent can tell the difference between a deterministic outcome and a non-deterministic one.  I would imagine that a theoretical (extra dimensional?) objective observer of the situation I described would conclude that free will doesn't exist.

It may very well be a distinction without a difference, but that doesn't negate that the distinction exists.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

How isn't it? If the state of the universe at the present time demands the future course of events proceed only one way, then there is no free will.

It doesn't "demand" the future course of events proceeds only one way, it says that we'll always make the choices we'd make, but since no one, including ourselves, knows what choice we'll make until after we've made it, isn't that ostensibly free will? We don't know the future course of events, we only know it'll go how it'll go, but we still have to choose to do things, etc. The illusion of free will is essentially what free will has always been.

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The existence or non-existence of free will is independent of whether or not the subjective agent can tell the difference between a deterministic outcome and a non-deterministic one.  I would imagine that a theoretical (extra dimensional?) objective observer of the situation I described would conclude that free will doesn't exist.

It may very well be a distinction without a difference, but that doesn't negate that the distinction exists.

I think we are in agreement then. Free will is, technically speaking, illusory, but since we aren't that extra-dimensional being, for us, free will does exist, or at least the illusion of it since we don't know what the future holds until after we make the choices. That's why I was saying this is ultimately just an intellectual masturbatory exercise because for all intents and practical purposes it is a distinction without a difference, which is why I feel the illusion of free will and the understanding that determinism exists are two sides of the same coin.