Disney seizes power in central Florida

56 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

He is saying they still aren't. 

I know what he saying. I’m saying he’s incorrect and it doesn’t matter. I’m saying that not wanting it to go this way because of a hate for Disney is really missing the point as to what the state government is trying to do.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

replying to @sblfilms It’s the only reason Disney can develop a dense walkable downtown and I’m only like 25% joking

There are all sorts of things that having your own personal fire marshal, code enforcement division, engineering evaluators, etc. will let you do in the company town!

Disney was just riding the wave to where the money and the power is, and as of right now, the LGBT community has it. If the tide changes, you can sure as hell bet that Disney will ride that wave also.

But i'm just giddy that DeStupid was humiliated, thats all.

• True 1

5 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Not a great week for the Meatball.

Went from being the presumed rival of Trump for the GOP presidential nomination to screaming, "You haven't seen the last of meeeee, Mouse!" as he scurried away like a vanquished 80's afternoon cartoon villain.

Angry He Man GIF

spacer.png

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Not a great week for the Meatball.

Went from being the presumed rival of Trump for the GOP presidential nomination to screaming, "You haven't seen the last of meeeee, Mouse!" as he scurried away like a vanquished 80's afternoon cartoon villain.

I think his intelligence has been vastly overrated. Yeah his mind isn't melting like Trump but the guy is an awkward goober. Biden would mop the floor with him in a debate.

I don’t doubt Desantis is smarter than Trump, and I don’t doubt that he isn’t a complete dipshit.  The problem with running on a Republican platform that needs national support is that winning requires you to cater to the lunatics and you can’t just outright say that.  Do I think this Disney loss comes as a surprise or even a genuine defeat for him?  Not really.  I imagine he always knew it was a fight he would lose and didn’t really care about the outcome either way.  His name got in headlines more for taking it to Disney than it ever will for this weird, legal loophole defeat and that’s what he cares about.  I could be totally wrong, but I feel like fully half of the conservative power structure does not give a flying fuck about most of the culture war crap, and only goes along with it because they have to in order to win.  

Ronny vows to get to the bottom of how Disney outsmarted him.

Do you think DeSantis realizes just how small this all makes him look? Especially with him already tumbling in the polls because his ostensible base apparently finds criminal indictabilty to be a big drawing point.

It's like if Stone Cold Steve Austin was walking to the ring to face The Rock in the main event of Wrestlemania....then a fan jumped the railing and got into a sloppy hockey fight with Austin and the end of the PPV is just about that now.....

A lot can happen before the voting starts in the primary, but DeSantis sure looks cooked already. Greater than 50% chance that he never even officially announces for '24 now, imho.

DeSantis' biggest problem more than anything is he has zero stage presense, boring and awkward as hell. Its the same reason Tom Cotton will never amount to more than a senator. Charisma has always been important for a presidential run but it is a requirement for a republican to win a primary. Trump doesn't need anything more than to bully him like a middle schooler and his popularity will collapse on itself.

2 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

DeSantis' biggest problem more than anything is he has zero stage presense, boring and awkward as hell. Its the same reason Tom Cotton will never amount to more than a senator. Charisma has always been important for a presidential run but it is a requirement for a republican to win a primary. Trump doesn't need anything more than to bully him like a middle schooler and his popularity will collapse on itself.

Oh, I definitely agree. DeSantis is basically a creation of the "anybody but Trump" crowd that doesn't want Trump, but also doesn't have the balls to come out and actually criticize him. So after Florida was the one non-disaster for them in 2020 they went all in on DeSantis without ever considering whether he would be good at ground level politics.

Saying that, and that I never considered him a real threat to Trump at all, this past week has knocked him far down from even where he was before. McConnell style Republicans I am sure are already blaming "our side" for stamping out any hope they had of nominating someone other than Trump....but that was never going to happen anyway. They will blame the indictment for why everyone flocked back to Trump(just as they did with the Mar-a-Lago raid) but the truth is they love Trump because of their fetid base and everything their propaganda machine has conditioned them to love for the past 3 decades. They could have ended this all with a few more votes in the Senate a few years ago.