Old faces

Demut

So ... what'd I miss since I've been gone? I've already seen a couple of familiar usernames but many others I have not. Are people like Lucian04 or legend or other users with names that start with L here, too, or did they stop posting/never make the transition in the first place?

1 minute ago, Demut said:

Lucian04

Got perma'd for his behavior after spending too much time on twitter. He was literally ruined by twitter. Great user before that. If he would have stuck to the gaming boards he would still be here.

And you haven't missed anything that won't repeat itself. It's the same users talking about the same shit.

• Halal 1

Woah, now you have me curious. What kind of behavior? Given your mention of Twitter, I think I can hazard a guess where this is going but I find that hard to believe when it comes to him.

Last time I spoke with him (couple of months ago on Steam) he didn't seem particularly different. But we did mostly talk about vidya so there's that. Speaking of which, is there still a thread where peeps give away their surplus HumbleBundle keys and shit?

Woah, now you have me curious. What kind of behavior? Given your mention of Twitter, I think I can hazard a guess where this is going but I find that hard to believe when it comes to him.

I don't even really know. Well, rather I don't remember. I believe people would called him "red-pilled" or "black-pilled". I felt like there had been worst stuff posted and bans weren't handed out but he had been gone for awhile and was posting in a way many weren't a fan of.  And yeah, if it was about games no one had any issues. It was the political crap that got him banned.

5 minutes ago, Demut said:

Speaking of which, is there still a thread where peeps give away their surplus HumbleBundle keys and shit?

Probably the closest we got

• Like 1

Just now, Bacon said:

I believe people would called him "red-pilled" or "black-pilled".

LOL, okay, so the exact opposite of what I had in mind then. Am I wrong in thinking that Twitter is (or at least was, given Musk's acquisition) generally associated more associated with the left side of the cultural war?

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Probably the closest we got

Guess I'll try and bum keys off people there should a HumbleBundle catch my eye :batting:

Am I wrong in thinking that Twitter is (or at least was, given Musk's acquisition) generally associated more associated with the left side of the cultural war?

Uh, I don't know much shit about that. Lucian getting banned was well before Musk. I don't believe anyone here, which D1P generally leans left I think, thinks Musk's acquisition was some kind of left-wing win. In fact, posting twitter links is prohibited. You'll see screenshots, but @Commissar SFLUFAN no longer wishes to support twitter by having their/Musk's embedded links on the site.

I personally think it is a tad silly, but overall is a very easy request to fulfill and it has worked out fine for most users except for @Jason

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

but @Commissar SFLUFAN no longer wishes to support twitter by having their/Musk's embedded links on the site.

Heh, that's hilarious. Another surprise that I wouldn't have seen coming. SFLUFAN of all people? I thought he was an ironic fascist. Or libertarian. Or something. I forgot which.

And I didn't intend to imply that Musk's acquisition was a left-wing wing. The opposite, in fact. Hence the ('I thought it was viewed as left-leaning PRIOR to the Musk acquisition' line).

4 minutes ago, Demut said:

And I didn't intend to imply that Musk's acquisition was a left-wing wing. The opposite, in fact. Hence the ('I thought it was viewed as left-leaning PRIOR to the Musk acquisition' line).

Oh. Well, it probably came across that way to others. As in I misinterpreted it. I can't into politics. I hardly post in the CEB cuz I don't like it.

42 minutes ago, Demut said:

So ... what'd I miss since I've been gone? I've already seen a couple of familiar usernames but many others I have not. Are people like Lucian04 or legend or other users with names that start with L here, too, or did they stop posting/never make the transition in the first place?

Welcome back!

As for me,

376f43e3-cb96-4c3f-9e13-7903f88177b1_tex

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh. Well, it probably came across that way to others. As in I misinterpreted it. I can't into politics. I hardly post in the CEB cuz I don't like it.

That's probably for the best, honestly.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Welcome back!

Thanks! I don't suppose you still have that little (Python?) script lying around which auto-generated BBCode to create a color gradient of letters? Like, maybe in an old PM? Although I'm not even sure if it would work with the current text editor thingy anymore ...

Thanks! I don't suppose you still have that little (Python?) script lying around which auto-generated BBCode to create a color gradient of letters? Like, maybe in an old PM? Although I'm not even sure if it would work with the current text editor thingy anymore ...

Hmmm. Probably not? I can check my old computer later and see if it's still sitting somewhere. Not sure if it would still work either though. I'll let you know!

Just now, Demut said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether PMs were preserved when D1P changed forum software or whatever it was that happened. I know I already I asked you this years ago but I guess my account can't be restored anymore?

Everything is lost past 2018, unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, Demut said:

Heh, that's hilarious. Another surprise that I wouldn't have seen coming. SFLUFAN of all people? I thought he was an ironic fascist. Or libertarian. Or something. I forgot which.

Twitter was viewed as pretty much neutral beyond standard capitalism before besides people being weird and not understanding how algorithm works/conspiracy believers. Now it’s pretty much the same just ran by a guy currently cosplaying as a right wing chud because the left wasn’t licking his balls enough, but it’s still going to mostly depend on your feed.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

besides people being weird and not understanding how algorithm works/conspiracy believers.

I mean ... you're probably largely right (that is, correct :p) as far as the posted content was concerned. But if nothing else, the Twitter Files seem to suggest that what had been previously been more or less of an open secret, namely that Twitter leadership was squarely on the left side of the political spectrum and let that bias influence their decisions, turned out to be in fact literally true, no?

12 minutes ago, Demut said:

I guess my account can't be restored anymore?

D1P account? It might be. Account history was wiped out when the boards got fucked, but most accounts had their records preserved. And by records I mean post count and reputation points. Most everyone currently here had their accounts restored. Like, I haven't posted 19.1k times since then. That is my post count reaching back all the way to 2010/2011. However, the actual posts are gone. You could once visit old D1P on the wayback machine but I think D1P was compromised at one point and that excluded it from the service.

It'd be up to @Commissar SFLUFAN to see if your account could be restored in the same limited fashion most everyone else's was. Not sure if reclaiming your old name already messed that up but you'd need to ask him.

Just now, Demut said:

I mean ... you're probably largely right (that is, correct :p) as far as the posted content was concerned. But if nothing else, the Twitter Files seem to suggest that what had been previously been more or less of an open secret, namely that Twitter leadership was squarely on the left side of the political spectrum and let that bias influence their decisions, no?

Not really, no, this is also the same company that bent over backwards to not police hate speech just because they were afraid it would ban too many right wingers. It also depends on how much you consider wanting to curb hate speech and dangerous rhetoric or dangerous misleading information etc as a political thing not a moral thing.

Hm. Did I post prior to that cut-off? I myself couldn't tell ya. I have no idea when my last post was.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Ah, I didn't get my edit in time, but yes. He'll know.

Trying to outspeed me? You're ten years too early for that, bucko :]

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

It also depends on how much you consider wanting to curb hate speech and dangerous rhetoric or dangerous misleading information etc as a political thing not a moral thing.

Well, the obvious objections regarding who defines those terms aside, I was more thinking of stuff like kowtowing to the deep state in the form of the alphabet agencies during Trump's term, ~99% of their staff's political donations going to Democrats and so on.

I ... what? Maybe you're confusing it with the conspiracy theory concept but the deep state as such, i.e. the permanent, unelected part of the government bureaucracy that doesn't really change from administration to administration, is very much a thing. It's even a subject of study in political science. I'm referring to the latter, not the former, in case that wasn't clear. Would you prefer if I used a different term?

• 5 months later...