PC Community Thread

stepee

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

They responded to my email telling them

to fuck off and just process the RMA and just asked for the same information I already provided and the receipt (again) oy

I can't comprehend this post.

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Uh that was weird as shit lol

You just like derailing stepees threads. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I can't comprehend this post.

You just like derailing stepees threads. 

I responded to their request for a video telling them to fuck off and I’m not doing that and to just process my damn RMA. In turn, they asked me for information that I had already provided them. And for a copy of the receipt, that I had already provided them.

• Sad 1

I responded to their request for a video telling them to fuck off and I’m not doing that and to just process my damn RMA. In turn, they asked me for information that I had already provided them. And for a copy of the receipt, that I had already provided them.

Ok makes perfect sense. But let me ask you, did they say for @best3444 to buy me Madden 24 to make up for his lies and betrayal of me with Bacon?

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ok makes perfect sense. But let me ask you, did they say for @best3444 to buy me Madden 24 to make up for his lies and betrayal of me with Bacon?

Well, their reasoning was that he should buy you Madden because of both the betrayal and also due to him ruining this place for RR

Does everyone keep all the game launchers running and starting with windows? Or do you only open them when you are playing a game through that launcher and then close it when done?  So many damn launchers these days. 

Also  - a few questions about my performance on my Alienware M15 R7 w/ I7, 3070ti, 64Gb Ram, 1TB boot drive and 2Tb Western Digital BLack SN850X 2TB drive for gaming. 

Here is my 3D Mark Score. I think my GPU score is within range for that model, but my CPU seems to be scoring really low. From what I read, I should be in the 11K range. It doesnt appear to be thermal throttling. Any idea why its so low? 

spacer.png

On my WD Black drive, I tried both with game mode on and off. In game mode off, I seem to be getting better read/write speeds and it runs cooler. But in both modes, the drive was running hot, reaching over 70 degrees (78 in game mode off). Are these good speeds for this drive? I know its up to 7300 read 6600 write. 

Game mode off

spacer.png

game mode on

nsf4tCL.png

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Does everyone keep all the game launchers running and starting with windows? Or do you only open them when you are playing a game through that launcher and then close it when done?  So many damn launchers these days. 

Also  - a few questions about my performance on my Alienware M15 R7 w/ I7, 3070ti, 64Gb Ram, 1TB boot drive and 2Tb Western Digital BLack SN850X 2TB drive for gaming. 

Here is my 3D Mark Score. I think my GPU score is within range for that model, but my CPU seems to be scoring really low. From what I read, I should be in the 11K range. It doesnt appear to be thermal throttling. Any idea why its so low? 

spacer.png

On my WD Black drive, I tried both with game mode on and off. In game mode off, I seem to be getting better read/write speeds and it runs cooler. But in both modes, the drive was running hot, reaching over 70 degrees (78 in game mode off). Are these good speeds for this drive? I know its up to 7300 read 6600 write. 

Game mode off

spacer.png

game mode on

nsf4tCL.png

I have launchers start up if I have like 10+ games on it, if it’s like Rockstar or Blizard where it’s two games or so then I don’t auto start. 

What model i7 specifically? What speed ram?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I have launchers start up if I have like 10+ games on it, if it’s like Rockstar or Blizard where it’s two games or so then I don’t auto start. 

What model i7 specifically? What speed ram?

i7-1200H and Crucial 64Gb DDR5 4800MT/s CL40

6 minutes ago, atom631 said:

how could i confirm that? 

Do you know how to get to your bios? You can check from there what it’s running at. That is also where you would enable XMP to make sure you are running the ram full speed.

I hate trying to time hitting the right button during startup so here is how I always enter bios;

BIOS-WINDOWS-11.jpg
WWW.PUREIT.CA

Access Windows 11 BIOS: 5 easy methods. Customize system settings and options. BIOS controls computer's basic operations like power and booting.

cpu-z is a program that should also confirm your speeds

Do you know how to get to your bios? You can check from there what it’s running at. That is also where you would enable XMP to make sure you are running the ram full speed.

I hate trying to time hitting the right button during startup so here is how I always enter bios;

BIOS-WINDOWS-11.jpg
WWW.PUREIT.CA

Access Windows 11 BIOS: 5 easy methods. Customize system settings and options. BIOS controls computer's basic operations like power and booting.

cpu-z is a program that should also confirm your speeds

I was just in the bios and i didnt see any where XMP being listed. but it did tell me my memory is running at 4800. 

i downloaded CPU-Z and under the SPD tab: SPD Ext. is greyed out. which i think this means XMP Is not enabled. 

14 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I was just in the bios and i didnt see any where XMP being listed. but it did tell me my memory is running at 4800. 

i downloaded CPU-Z and under the SPD tab: SPD Ext. is greyed out. which i think this means XMP Is not enabled. 

hm if your bios is showing 4800 (and i assume cpu-z is showing it too?) I think you have XMP enabled, or you wouldn’t be at that speed.

Have you tried using afterburner to put in stats and check heat on the cpu while playing a cpu intensive game or while running the bench?

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

hm if your bios is showing 4800 (and i assume cpu-z is showing it too?) I think you have XMP enabled, or you wouldn’t be at that speed.

Have you tried using afterburner to put in stats and check heat on the cpu while playing a cpu intensive game or while running the bench?

yup. i run afterburner. rarely does my CPU or GPU ever get above 70-72

8 hours ago, atom631 said:

spacer.png

Game mode off

spacer.png

game mode on

nsf4tCL.png

The 3DMark CPU score is entirely a multithreaded benchmark. Any multithreaded benchmark is going to draw max power from a CPU, whereas games will only hit a single core hard, other cores less hard, and require less CPU wattage.  

So if I had to guess, I'd say you're hitting a power limit that's causing your CPU score to be low.  Might be able to change the CPU PL (power limit) in the BIOS, but a search led me to a program called "throttlestop" that might unlock more CPU performance for you. 

SSDs will throttle their speeds the warmer they get, so those scores are close enough to marketed speeds to be fine. Throttling does start around 70 C, and gets worse the hotter it gets.

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The 3DMark CPU score is entirely a multithreaded benchmark. Any multithreaded benchmark is going to draw max power from a CPU, whereas games will only hit a single core hard, other cores less hard, and require less CPU wattage.  

So if I had to guess, I'd say you're hitting a power limit that's causing your CPU score to be low.  Might be able to change the CPU PL (power limit) in the BIOS, but a search led me to a program called "throttlestop" that might unlock more CPU performance for you. 

SSDs will throttle their speeds the warmer they get, so those scores are close enough to marketed speeds to be fine. Throttling does start around 70 C, and gets worse the hotter it gets.

I think youre right about power throttling. My Alienware Control Center (AWCC) only has one power option - “balanced”. From what I read, there should be a few options such as power save and performance. 

I don’t think that anyone here is using one, but the 12vhpwr right angle adapter from CableMod is causing melting issues with 4000 series GPUs. The regular cables are fine (just like the adapter) as long as you have it plugged in all the way, but the right angle adapter apparently has “wiggle room” to the left and right and it wiggles enough to where it becomes not fully inserted and causes the melting problem (the “wiggle” can happen if you’re doing cable management after you plugged it in). HOWEVER, CableMod is claiming that this is affecting less than .1% of purchasers and CableMod is replacing any video card affected (straight up buying them a new video card). 
I don’t know if it’s a random defect or if all of the right angle adapters have the issue. Good on CableMod for replacing affected video cards, but sheesh.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not sure if it improves RT performance, but it definitely seems to “clean up” shimmering and artifacts sometimes caused by RT :angry-fap-small:

That's fine by me, I'm still plenty happy with the FPS the 4090 is granting me in games. my current rig is still so good that I've not been concerned about the lack of new tech recently. :o

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That's fine by me, I'm still plenty happy with the FPS the 4090 is granting me in games. my current rig is still so good that I've not been concerned about the lack of new tech recently. :o

I just want more path tracing with RTGI and I think we need better RT performance for that, since not everyone is blessed with a 4090 like us :p 

True enough! We still have another few years before quality RT is a "for the masses" thing. That said, we are definitly rounding the bend on this feature and I can see it being standard by 2026. Currently I'm more interested in seeing studios get to grips with UE5.X as I want to see how matured titles handle LOD elements in there worlds. 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

True enough! We still have another few years before quality RT is a "for the masses" thing. That said, we are definitly rounding the bend on this feature and I can see it being standard by 2026. Currently I'm more interested in seeing studios get to grips with UE5.X as I want to see how matured titles handle LOD elements in there worlds. 

Going by AMD’s RT progression, I believe you’re being overly generous and optimistic with 2026 :raisedbrow:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-announces-dlss-3-5-with-ray-reconstruction-launches-this-fall

DLSS3.5 launches this fall -the major feature is Ray (Tracing) Reconstruction :dancing:. First major title is Phantom Liberty 

@stepee @Mr.Vic20

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OH FORK YES! :sun:

IMG-8019.jpg

DLSS3.5 RT Reconstruction works for all RTX GPUs

introducing-dlss-3-5-ogimage.jpg
WWW.NVIDIA.COM

NVIDIA DLSS Ray Reconstruction further improves the quality of ray-traced effects, taking image quality and realism to another level.

• Hype 1

So it’s coming to Alan Wake 2…add it to Control you cowards! That is a game that needs denoising bigggg time. Would look so damn good. This is a huge deal for image quality with ray tracing and once again, for as shit as they are with pricing right now, nvidia since 2018 continues to surprise me with improvements using their AI I couldn’t even think of.

This coming out before AMD can even get their half assed band aid dlss3 frame gen competitor out has got to sting for them. They need to focus on AI at all cost or buy a company that does.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

So it’s coming to Alan Wake 2…add it to Control you cowards! That is a game that needs denoising bigggg time. Would look so damn good. This is a huge deal for image quality with ray tracing and once again, for as shit as they are with pricing right now, nvidia since 2018 continues to surprise me with improvements using their AI I couldn’t even think of.

This coming out before AMD can even get their half assed band aid dlss3 frame gen competitor out has got to sting for them. They need to focus on AI at all cost or buy a company that does.

FSR3 will be out right after Winds of Winter is released

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FSR3 will be out right after Winds of Winter is released

I hope intel is able to really start positioning themselves in the market and expand to the ultra high end. I think that’s more likely than amd catching up at this point.