Hope you enjoyed that time Attack on Titan's final season was split in half...

Ghost_MH

Remember when Attack on Titan Season 4 was announced as a two cour season, with both parts aired a year apart due to COVID? And then the second part was split in two with the second half airing a year later? Well, it's a year later and that second half of the second half of season four will... Yes. Be split in half.

6fb2c642e1041e375d248c8e909b531916739465
WWW.CRUNCHYROLL.COM

The time has come for the “Final Arc” of the Attack on Titan anime franchise with the official Twitter account for the series revealing that Attack on Titan Final Season Part

At least this time, they're claiming both halves will air this year. I'm not sure how much I believe them, though. If the first half of the third half is airing in the spring season, then that means the second half of the third half has to air in the fall season. It's obviously not airing in the summer since that wouldn't be splitting the half of a half of a half in half. However, they aren't committing to fall 2023 and instead going with the nebulous "2023". Maybe they'll go for airing one episode in late December to claim they hit the date while airing 90% of the final 12.5% in the winter 2024 season.

Either way, here's a teaser...

As with when they first announced they were splitting the final season in half, I will continue to sit this out until everything is out. I just didn't realize I was going to be sitting here, still waiting, nearly three years later.

I added it to my watchlist when I saw Final Season and started watching shortly after "new" stopped appearing and found out the hard way that it wasn't over. Same surprise with the next part.

They should call part 4 Attack on Titan The Final Final Final Season for Real This Time Maybe.

14 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Final Part is being split in half? Whatever lol. I'm still way into the show, and it's pretty clear they need the time. They should just be more straightforward about it all.

Split in 4 at this point lol

There's barely anything left (I read the manga), this is just stretching for the sake of stretching. JFC.

• True 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Split in 4 at this point lol

There's barely anything left (I read the manga), this is just stretching for the sake of stretching. JFC.

The first half of this split will air in March and then the second half will be announced as two movies with the first coming out in December. If they're going to stretch it out, there's no way they don't try to grab some of that Mugen Train money on the way out.

13 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The first half of this split will air in March and then the second half will be announced as two movies with the first coming out in December. If they're going to stretch it out, there's no way they don't try to grab some of that Mugen Train money on the way out.

Movies…? I guess they’re going to be during the time skip(s)?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Movies…? I guess they’re going to be during the time skip(s)?

They haven't announced any movies, but it just feels like a forgone conclusion at this point. Demon Slayer had the audacity to take a canon arc from the manga and turn it into a movie that ran in theaters. They were wildly rewarded for that. If Attack on Titan is going to be continuously pushed out and split up like this, I can't help but feel they're going to make the ending of the series a movie.

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

They haven't announced any movies, but it just feels like a forgone conclusion at this point. Demon Slayer had the audacity to take a canon arc from the manga and turn it into a movie that ran in theaters. They were wildly rewarded for that. If Attack on Titan is going to be continuously pushed out and split up like this, I can't help but feel they're going to make the ending of the series a movie.

Unless a canon arc can comfortably be done justice as an adaptation with a film (which I'm all for it due to the higher budgets and even better animation) I feel like that can't usually work since manga arcs tend to be much longer than a 2 hour film, am I right?

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Unless a canon arc can comfortably be done justice as an adaptation with a film (which I'm all for it due to the higher budgets and even better animation) I feel like that can't usually work since manga arcs tend to be much longer than a 2 hour film, am I right?

It can't usually work. I mean, Mugen Train works, but it didn't really work as a stand alone film. You absolutely need to watch the anime leading up to Mugen Train for that film to make sense. That said, the arc does comfortably sit in a place where cutting it into a single movie was fine. You just need a shorter arc with a satisfying conclusion.

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It can't usually work. I mean, Mugen Train works, but it didn't really work as a stand alone film. You absolutely need to watch the anime leading up to Mugen Train for that film to make sense. That said, the arc does comfortably sit in a place where cutting it into a single movie was fine. You just need a shorter arc with a satisfying conclusion.

Yeah, I mean, Psycho-Pass is spread across TV seasons and canon movies, as are a lot of anime (though not all necessarily based on manga though) so it's not strange to demand a TV anime watcher to then have to watch a movie to then go back to a TV season.

I do worry about, even though it worked for Mugen Train, other productions stuffing multi-volume manga arcs into 2 hour films for the monies at a clear loss of quality in the adaptation.

• 1 month later...

At this point, they're just fucking with us.

attack-on-titan-one-hour-special-episode
WWW.DUALSHOCKERS.COM

The opening theme song, "Under the Tree," will be used as an ending theme song for the first episode, according to rumors.

The first episode of the third half of the fourth season was going to be an hour long episode, but instead will be split into three parts. At least in this case, all three parts will be released on the same day.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Derek said:

I've never seen this show, but that sounds obnoxious. Feels like the 'fall breaks' that shows used to have, but on crack.

It's very dumb and I'm pretty sure we can blame COVID, a last minute change in studios, and stubbornness.

The first three seasons were handled by Wit Studio and then, in the middle of the first COVID lockdowns, was switched over to MAPPA. MAPPA couldn't get the fourth season out in full, so they announced they'd break it up in half. Now, normally, you'd just announce that season four was shorter than expected but we'll be back for season five. However, season four was initially announced as the final season. In all the marketing prior to the studio hop, it was named Attack on Titan: The Final Season. Could they have just said fuck it, COVID screwed up or schedule, so this is no longer the final season? Yes. It's not like they had even sold a single DVD or Blu-ray with the moniker by that point. However, stubbornness says no, so they plowed ahead with that subtitle.

MAPPA gets started on production of the second half of season four, realized they need to keep the gravy train running and they'd really like to wrap things up with an additional six episodes. That is, half a season's worth of anime.

That's where the stupid gets really dumb, because then they decided that the final six episodes will be aired months apart in three episode chunks, but those three episodes chunks will now be two 1 hour specials. However, they're going to air in Japan as three individual episodes.

• 8 months later...

Anyone else catch the finale? I haven’t read the manga but I believe the reaction to the ending was mixed. I’ll have to see how it differed from what was in the anime which I thought was… fine I guess. It’s not bad given the corner the show painted itself into, and I dunno where else they could have gone.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Anyone else catch the finale? I haven’t read the manga but I believe the reaction to the ending was mixed. I’ll have to see how it differed from what was in the anime which I thought was… fine I guess. It’s not bad given the corner the show painted itself into, and I dunno where else they could have gone.

I'm waiting on the dub - I have seen Part 1's dub which dropped this past September, hope it doesn't take 6 months to get Part 2 dubbed. 

• 1 month later...

I rewatched all of season 4 to get ready for the finale since it had been years at this point since I watched the "first" part of this season, this season overall does not fuck around, when it is good it is great and really never struggled IMO. Not in love with where they went with Eren in the end but it certainly didn't ruin things for me. All I want to know is who hurt Hajime Isayama because god damn this show is just relentless in its brutality to characters even by action anime standards