Do you have any family traditions for Christmas?

One of the ones we still do even though the kids are now 15/13/11 is get in PJs and drive to this particular neighborhood known for great Christmas decorations and listen to the Grinch cartoon soundtrack while we drive through looking at lights. 

Like a lot of things these days, I noticed our kids were less interested in it this year and it kind of made me sad. I’m happy my kids are growing up, there is so much about them I enjoy as they’ve gotten older, but I do miss some of the awe and wonder that the little ones have for things like that.

Makes me wonder what we will do in a few years when all the kids are grown up. Who knows, may be taking the grandkids to the lights tour then 😭

With my parents, we always get together on Christmas Day and my mom bakes a bunch of  breakfast stuff, and she still gives all of us adult kids some sort of clothing item she sewed.

With my in-laws, Christmas Eve we get together for dinner, eating tamales that my mother in law and her girls made, and playing games. We also tend to invite some of our friends who don’t have family in town to come hang.

Depending on the weather, we usually get some Chinese food for Xmas Eve. Just hoping to still have power by tomorrow with the bomb cyclone happening and winds just getting stronger overnight. 

Xmas day now has us opening presents here with my mom, sister and dog(s) Eggs and Peameal Bacon breakfast and then off too my older sisters place to have Turkey Supper with her family. My younger brother, his wife and daughter will also be down too.

Boxing Day is sometimes early morning shopping. Then off to celebrate Xmas with my dad’s side of the family at someone’s house. Usually my uncle’s or, again, my sisters place for Smorgasbord like meal of ham, scallop potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing and left over Turkey

• Like 1

Christmas Eve has two traditions: exchanging books (stole the idea from an NPR article) and Chinese food for dinner. We will also at some point (whether or not on Christmas Eve or Christmas) watch Spirited Away and listen to the Truman Capote recording of ‘A Christmas Memory’. 

• Like 1

Nah, unfortunately not. My sis and mother left New York a long time ago for Florida and they don't really speak. Rhe rest of my family is on a different continent.

I've got a nice Xmas/holidays planned though. First I'm having a Seinfeld marathon and drinks with my best friend and tomorrow and Monday it's full Xmas with my girlfriend, her twin girls and her family. They're a huge Caribbean clan so there's always a million cool people, party atmosphere and killer food for days. 

23 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Thai food here but same. 

i also read the night before Christmas to the kids, put them to bed, and then watch die hard and finish wrapping presents

Reading the night before Christmas went about as well as it could given the over tired 18 month old and 6 year old with adhd