ADL's 2022 Report on Hate Speech in Online Gaming

Kal-El814

Nervous-angry-young-woman-gamer%20playin
WWW.ADL.ORG

ADL’s fourth annual survey on hate and harassment in online games, including data on the experience of adults, teens, and preteens.

The results are not especially surprising, but remain disappointing. All the big devs have coddled their users for too long. If you engage in hate speech, you should lose your account. It's not hard.

Some choice snippets:

The harassment that young people experience in online multiplayer games affects their online and offline lives. Continuing the trend from last year, over a quarter of young people who experienced harassment in online multiplayer games quit specific games.

In-game harassment has offline consequences for young people. One in ten young gamers in the U.S. reported that they treated people worse than usual due to harassment in online gaming, while nearly that many (8%) reported that their school performance declined.

Our results found that exposure to white-supremacist ideologies in online games has more than doubled in the last year, from 8% of adults in 2021 to 20% of adults in 2022. 

It is important to note that within the context of this survey, we are not referring to “white supremacy” as the historically based, institutionally perpetuated system of white dominance and privilege in the U.S., which enables and maintains systemic racism throughout all segments of society. Rather, ADL uses the term “white supremacy” here to specifically refer to the collection of extremist ideologies and groups undergirding the beliefs that white people should dominate in all ways and exercise power over other identities, that there should be a “whites-only” nation, and that “white culture” is expressly superior to other cultures and must be supported at the expense of other cultures. Here, we specify white-supremacist ideology as a symptom and an outgrowth of systematic white supremacy.

The impact of harassment in online games affects how people play. Out of the 67 million American adults who experience harassment in online multiplayer games, only 19% stated that it had no impact on how they play, meaning that harassment shapes the gameplay of over 54 million American adults.

18 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's always been a choice to not ban bigots online. There's nothing technical stopping it. Bigot money is just more important. That and an uncomfortable number of these guys are employed or run these gaming companies.

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The complete and total lack of diversity in the game development community unquestionably contributes not-insignificantly to this nauseating situation.

It's part of the culture... when I first started gaming online in the early 2000's I was SHOCKED by how much casual racism existed in online gaming specifically in users screen names. It's been a part of online gaming culture so long that I don't think a lot of decision makers feel the NEED to stop it. It wasn't like early online gaming was exactly diverse.

• Halal 1

When I was 15-17, I changed my Gamertag to HilterLovesJews. No, the misspelling of Hitler was not intentional. I didn't have it for long, but I had it longer than I thought I would. I faced no consequences for my actions. Only had to change my tag when it got reported and that was free.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

When I was 15-17, I changed my Gamertag to HilterLovesJews. No, the misspelling of Hitler was not intentional. I didn't have it for long, but I had it longer than I thought I would. I faced no consequences for my actions. Only had to change my tag when it got reported and that was free.

That's the other part of it too. Game publishers don't want to deal with angry parents after the family Xbox was console banned thanks to a racist gamertag their edgy teen thought was hilarious.

The other option I'd say is to just not give you the option to change your gamertag and just get it auto-changed to someone anti-hate. Like so much of the moderation here can be taken care of automatically. The technology to pick specific words out a conversation has existed for decades. Sure, understanding the actual context is relatively new technology, but who needs context. Nobody needs to use racist, homophobic, or misogynist slurs; context and "free speech" be damned.

14 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's part of the culture... when I first started gaming online in the early 2000's I was SHOCKED by how much casual racism existed in online gaming specifically in users screen names. It's been a part of online gaming culture so long that I don't think a lot of decision makers feel the NEED to stop it. It wasn't like early online gaming was exactly diverse.

I thought MS created a filter to stop racist names? I believe Sony has one. 

Warzone Proximity Chat is absolutely vile.

I know MS has banned a bunch of accounts recently, but I don’t know the details.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:03 AM, BloodyHell said:
On 12/10/2022 at 2:33 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought MS created a filter to stop racist names? I believe Sony has one. 

In the early 2000's I was gaming online playing PC at school and at work. Battlefield 1942, Unreal Tournament 2 and Retyrn to Castle Wolfenstein on PC were the games I played primarily until the Xbox hit. There were a lot of obvioulsy racist names as well as a bunch of "subtle" ones. Krazy Koon Killa was one that sticks out to me :|

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

In the early 2000's I was gaming online playing PC at school and at work. Battlefield 1942, Unreal Tournament 2 and Retyrn to Castle Wolfenstein on PC were the games I played primarily until the Xbox hit. There were a lot of obvioulsy racist names as well as a bunch of "subtle" ones. Krazy Koon Killa was one that sticks out to me :|

Oh yeah, shit was crazy back in the day. Not that it’s good now, but the early days of online gaming was atrocious.