Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

I’m almost positive this does Spider-man at least at 4kdlss/120 has anyone posted that benchmark yet?

The gains here are absolutely insane. This is a card ready to compete with the PS6. For so long, since the start of 4k gaming, cards were just barely keeping up with the latest games at 4k. The 3000 series is the first where it really nailed down 4k/60. And 2 years later this comes out and despite ray tracing, doesn’t just keep up, but blows right past it into being a true 4k/120 card. 

It’s ridiculous and I love it so much.

A gpu so powerful it creates a need for better cpu’s, beautiful. 

• Hugs 1

Very impressed with the gen over gen improvements, even with the price hikes. Kinda makes me glad that I never ended up with a 30xx card. Very interested in where the 4080 cards end up in 4K performance.

It's very interesting that the 4090 can actually hit CPU limitations. I honestly can't recall the last time that was the case in games. I haven't considered a top end CPU for a very long time. I'm guessing the 4080 won't hit that limit, but I wouldn't be shocked if my 3800X actually becomes a bottleneck.

Looking at the width from the chart I posted in the other thread, assuming I can’t get a FE, which is extremely likely, I guess I’ll be trying to get a pny. I’m fine on length and height but unless I go with leaving the panel of my case off, I need to stick pretty close to the FE width. I hope those pny ones are at least still 1600.

I do sometimes wish I had a hobby where the things you really really want and are excited for, you just have to save up and then you can buy them without the stress of trying to just have the opportunity to buy them. Like if I was really into golf clubs or something. 

• True 1

Just now, stepee said:

I do sometimes wish I had a hobby where the things you really really want and are excited for, you just have to save up and then you can buy them without the stress of trying to just have the opportunity to buy them. Like if I was really into golf clubs or something. 

The heart ache drives the pay off my man! (I'll keep hitting you with situationally meaningless platitudes lilke this winner to the left until we both get our cards!) :sun:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
rtx4090-unboxing-listing-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Our review also dives deeply into DLSS 3—and how it may affect future Nvidia GPUs.

This is the best written review for those who like to look at benchmark numbers IMO

Why read and get the data I actually want in 2 minutes when I can have some guy slowly explain it to me for 2 hours with some silly meme videos interjected in between?

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don’t even game on PC and I’m considering if I should try tomorrow and build my first PC in over a decade. 
Hype But Im Excited GIF by Kinda Funny

Good news! This GPU is so damn big you can just kinda glue the rest of the components to its underside and presto, you got a next gen game console PC! 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

The push for video reviews for PC hardware is the dumbest shit ever.

Dude, the push for video everything sucks the fattest. It’s actually less efficient to get information on the internet than it used to be which is completely ridiculous. People are lazy so they put up with a lazier way or consuming information which is only done to try to sell you shit with more ads etc. ugh.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Good news! This GPU is so damn big you can just kinda glue the rest of the components to its underside and presto, you got a next gen game console PC! 

The last PC I built was in a HTPC case.  Pretty sure the 4090 is bigger than that case. I will try to score one tomorrow. If it happens, I will consider that a sign to build a PC. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nvidia's trying to use it as a hook for VRR people.

I think you can still cap the FPS through the Control Panel?  But it doesn't work from in game options.

Do they just mean do not use vsync for in game options but force vsync through control panel like you are supposed to do with gsync?

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nvidia's trying to use it as a hook for VRR people.

I think you can still cap the FPS through the Control Panel?  But it doesn't work from in game options.

VRR still uses VSYNC, though, doesn't it? I know I leave it on with both my VRR monitor and TV. If your FPS exceeds the max refresh rate you're still going to get tearing.

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don’t even game on PC and I’m considering if I should try tomorrow and build my first PC in over a decade. 
Hype But Im Excited GIF by Kinda Funny

I will have a used 6800XT available in a few weeks hopefully. Crap man I recycled all my old parts already. I had a 3600x or atleast an AM4 mobo available.