Anyone else miss 90's cynicism?

unogueen

As someone who attended high school in the 90s, a prevalent sentiment was a nihilism about the truth of the world. Whether it was the racial reckoning of protest rap, or the unraveling of the nuclear family in grunge. Most of my cohorts didn't have much great ambitions beyond making ends meet. Even the rave scene for all it's energy seemed to be more of lemming run than constructive. The one ray of sunshine that was the church of house was popularly derided as 'gay crap', but was a warm home for many miscreants like me and my friends. It felt like things were building to an inevitable crescendo where a reckoning would be made. Of course there is cynicism and anger today, but it feels like art and product perform as pressure valves that release the tension than build on it. Or I'm just old probably.

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

The 90s were also highly about being horrible to people, pass.

No more than previous generations. The gatekeeping in older eras was a dormouse like an extension of segregation. I think the tussle was good in the end, but not that good.

I don't mean I want the 90s back as a package. But I do want the rejection of the contemporary back. For all the segmentation back then, each movement would evolve itself to incorporate each other over time because of the acknowledged bifurcation. It took a while, and the whole post racial bullshit. But it was nothing like the death of disco.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

what's sparking this recent 90's nostalgia you're feeling, unogueen?

There's a cheerleading spirit that seems pretty unearned today when so many lean on the political spectrum to make amends. There is no doubt that trickle down works for the political class, and with the insistence of corporate conformity (which is an empty hand), the energy is in the wrong place. Better for people to know that we live in evil times and the only recuse we have is each other.

17 minutes ago, unogueen said:

There's a cheerleading spirit that seems pretty unearned today when so many lean on the political spectrum to make amends. There is no doubt that trickle down works for the political class, and with the insistence of corporate conformity (which is an empty hand), the energy is in the wrong place. Better for people to know that we live in evil times and the only recuse we have is each other.

:confused:

anywho to answer the question in the OP lets just say i'm increasingly content to have stopped feeling that emotion entirely for years now.  for whatever reason it seems many who haven't seem susceptible to provocation, selectiveness with facts, scapegoating, preferences of using optics and myth making/storytelling instead of engaging with any disagreements, etc ^_^

2 minutes ago, unogueen said:

afford to be miserable sounds like apologia like charity ads.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

2 minutes ago, unogueen said:

In my OP I provide protest rap.

I don't consider "protest rap" or as it's better known "Conscious hip hop" to be cynical... maybe we're talking about two different things here. Also from where I'm sitting, the 90's is when Hip hop started to die it's long and still ongoing death as an artform for and by the people. Outside of a few select artists, hip for me, reached its peak in 92'.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't consider "protest rap" or as it's better known "Conscious hip hop" to be cynical... maybe we're talking about two different things here. Also from where I'm sitting, the 90's is when Hip hop started to die it's long and still ongoing death as an artform for and by the people. Outside of a few select artists, hip for me, reached its peak in 92'.

What doesn't resonate, besides your asshandedness.