Fandom has acquired Gamespot, GameFaqs, Giant Bomb, metacritic and more

Brian

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I don't know the particular but that much consolidation, on its face, sounds pretty bad. 

Don't really think this falls under consolidation, these sites have just been passed around from CBSi to Red Ventures and now to Fandom.

It's weird to read that Fandom is kind of just the for-profit arm of Wikipedia and that Jimmy Wales co-founded and is still involved with. Who knows if this is a positive or negative, I though Giant Bomb was in it's death throes when Jeff left (granted also thought that when Brad/Vinny/Alex left) but Grubb and Dan Ryckert have done a good job hoisting the flag.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ThreePi said:

Don't really think this falls under consolidation, these sites have just been passed around from CBSi to Red Ventures and now to Fandom.

It's weird to read that Fandom is kind of just the for-profit arm of Wikipedia and that Jimmy Wales co-founded and is still involved with. Who knows if this is a positive or negative, I though Giant Bomb was in it's death throes when Jeff left (granted also thought that when Brad/Vinny/Alex left) but Grubb and Dan Ryckert have done a good job hoisting the flag.

Ah, I did not know that, so this is just more of the same? 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ah, I did not know that, so this is just more of the same? 

Obviously Brad/Vinny/Alex and later Jeff didn't leave Red Ventures because everything was peachy keen and I saw some other tweets from random people suggesting RV kind of sucked. 

It definitely did seem like Red Ventures was more driven by affiliate-link content farming, which makes a little more sense that they kept CNet and the gaming sites weren't a great fit. Giant Bomb does have a pretty extensive games wiki, but that is kind of secondary to the personality-driven content that doesn't seem to fit with Fandom all that much.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I wouldn’t be too optimistic. Red Ventures is like 10x the size of fandom as a company. Maybe they have some grand plan to reinvigorate these properties, but if I were a betting man I’d expect these things to be dead or combined in a year or so.