The 🐐 is back: Kirby Return To Dreamland Deluxe launches February 24, 2023

Brian

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Weird, that demo came out during the direct actually. Game is 60fps and looks fantastic. Despite too much to play already, Kirby always gets a day1.

Ah yeah, I should have checked the video from the direct not the one before the direct. Either way, a friendly reminder and it comes out in 3 days. :p

Just now, best3444 said:

Did you play the demo? Worth a look since I have the Switch out?

If you like modern side scrolling Kirby, this is that and so it’s fun. And it has great art design. This is a remake of the original which I actually missed because i had checked out of Wii at that point, but it’s apparently the start of the faster action design all modern kirby side scrollers have. So it’s good stuff. 

But there is no way it will be as good as the latest Kirby which is last years Kirby Forgotten Land, which is absolutely an all time goat and also has a demo.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you like modern side scrolling Kirby, this is that and so it’s fun. And it has great art design. This is a remake of the original which I actually missed because i had checked out of Wii at that point, but it’s apparently the start of the faster action design all modern kirby side scrollers have. So it’s good stuff. 

But there is no way it will be as good as the latest Kirby which is last years Kirby Forgotten Land, which is absolutely an all time goat and also has a demo.

Damn. Maybe I should try out Forgotten Land!?

• True 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Only one of those is as good as kirby!

I beat the demo and have mixed feelings. It's cute but extremely easy! Maybe I need to play on the harder difficulty? It didn't have the greatest camera but it's difficult to read on such a small demo.

BTW, the Switch pops on my TV like my PS5 does. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I beat the demo and have mixed feelings. It's cute but extremely easy! Maybe I need to play on the harder difficulty? It didn't have the greatest camera but it's difficult to read on such a small demo.

BTW, the Switch pops on my TV like my PS5 does. 

Kirby games are all super easy at a base level. The challenge comes when you try to collect everything in the levels and take on optional more difficult content. They also all start out suppppper easy but add a bit more challenge in the base game as it goes. The camera is what it is, it’s not the best but I didn’t think it was bad, I’ll say it doesn’t get worse. There is a casual mode in it I think also so make sure you are on whatever the harder difficulty is.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

Weird, that demo came out during the direct actually. Game is 60fps and looks fantastic. Despite too much to play already, Kirby always gets a day1.

Yeah, I’m currently playing Fire Emblem Engage and Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster. But I’ll definitely be making time for Kirby and Metroid Prime Remaster. Too much to play!

• Like 1

Game Information

Game Title: Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Feb 24, 2023)

Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 81% recommended

Critic Reviews

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 73 / 100

Quote not yet available

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 7.7 / 10

The remake Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe shines as an easy accessible couch co-op multiplayer title. As a singleplayer game it sadly lacks challenging parts 

and gameplay diversity. The technical improvements to the Wii title and the new epilogue are nice to have but don't justify the price tag of 59.99€ at release.
Kirby Fans who already own the original game should think twice beforce buying.

Checkpoint Gaming - Edie W-K - 8.5 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe only improves on the original. It's great to be able to play as Magolor in the new epilogue, which changes up the platforming gameplay simply but effectively. There's even more fun to be had playing subgames in Merry Magoland with your friends. If you're playing solo, there might not be as much to keep your attention, but it will still be a short and sweet adventure.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe packs a surprising amount of content while adding an epilogue that's well worth experiencing.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 78%

Quote not yet available

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe brings a cheerfully gentle Wii-era platformer to Nintendo Switch with smart additions and a big new epilogue.

Gameblog - French - [url="
        https://www.gameblog.fr/jeu-video/jeux/tests/test-kirby-return-to-dream-land-deluxe-417475"]8 / 10[/url]

Nintendo's cutest mascot goes back to its root. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe serves us the same dish as on Wii, but with a new presentation, a side dish that will delight and a desert that will satisfy the hungriest players. The recipe and the ingredients are familiar, it's delicious as ever. Magolor‘s epilogue brings enough flavors to spice up an already well-cooked experience. Without innovating, this side story brings a touch of challenge that was missing in the original game. A terribly charming title.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 7.5 / 10

Kirby’s Return to Deeam Land Deluxe is more than a remaster as it offers not only updated visuals, but also a complimentary bonus adventure rhats very different and plain fun. The game is still a bit too easy to my taste, but there’s plenty of additional challenges to please new or veteran players.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 8.5 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a great excuse to revisit a classic Wii title, with just enough new additions to shake things up.

IGN Spain - David Oña - Spanish - 8 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a remake that knows how to nourish its offer with enough incentives to taste new. A title that outlines, enhances and completes what was offered in 2011 becoming, in this way, one of the best deliveries that starred the pink ball of Nintendo.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a fantastic remake of one of our favourite Kirby adventures. With slick new visuals, some meaningful gameplay tweaks and two excellent new modes to dig into, this is a big, loud and colourful celebration of all things Kirby that should delight new and returning players alike. Magalor's Epilogue is a surprisingly chunky addition to the core action that gives the campaign a nice boost, whilst Merry Magoland ensures that you and your pals are kept busy with plenty of minigames, missions and online challenges to best once you're done with the main story mode. It's another win for everyone's favourite pink puffball.

PCMag - Will Greenwald - 4.5 / 5

Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a Nintendo Switch remake of a beloved Wii game that shows how well Kirby games hold up even after more than a decade.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a quintessential package for newcomers to the franchise. A fantastically realized set of Copy Abilities, swathes of worthwhile content, a great new epilogue, and gorgeously enhanced new visuals make for a timeless experience that's only hindered by a noticeable lack of difficulty.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a very successful remake that adds a lot of new content in addition to the usual changes and improvements. However, the problem is that it doesn't improve anything at its core compared to its predecessors, and it's a step backwards compared to the more recent game, Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Shacknews - Morgan Shaver - 9 / 10

Quote not yet available

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 7 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe further embraces the idea of embracing an introductory multiplayer experience with friends, especially given the existence of Magolor Helper and Merry Magoland.

Spaziogames - Valentino Cinefra - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a delicious platformer that does nothing at all to reinvent the wheel, but it works and gives an immediately fun experience.

TrustedReviews - By  Gemma Ryles - 4.5 / 5

Quote not yet available

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5

Whether you've played the Wii version or not, this remaster offers enough content to keep both newcomers and veterans busy for a while.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.8 / 10

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe took an already great game (perhaps the most underrated game in the series) and made it even better with sharp visuals, oodles of extras, and a brand new mode that allows you to play fun mini-games from Kirby's past titles.

WellPlayed - Mark Isaacson - 8.5 / 10

As a follow-up to the highly successful Forgotten Land, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe may tread on old ground, but it does so with confidence and colour aplenty.

Sounds like Kirby fans are in for a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1