The Last Case of Benedict Fox - fantastic looking Lovecraftian Metroidvania (PC/Xbox Series/Game Pass), update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 5 months later...

April 27 release announced:

ID@Xbox-Feb-hero-6a9ba5838a527f8ed031.jp
NEWS.XBOX.COM

We take a look at four upcoming ID@Xbox games: Lightyear Frontier, Planet of Lana, Everspace 2, and The Last Case of Benedict Fox.

As the ID@Xbox brand turns 10 years old this year, our indie publishing service is stronger than ever. With PC Game Pass able to put unique games in front of more players than ever, we wanted to take a look at how ID@Xbox is empowering developers to make their dream projects, and get them onto the screens of players across the world that are keen to find their next hidden gem.

As part of a recent ID@Xbox event, we were able to get an in-depth look at four upcoming games. The event gave us a first glimpse of gameplay and other details for Lightyear Frontier, Planet of Lana, Everspace 2, and The Last Case of Benedict Fox, some very different but equally exciting titles headed to PC Game Pass in 2023.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last Case of Benedict Fox - fantastic looking Lovecraftian Metroidvania (PC/Xbox Series/Game Pass), update: 27 April 2023 release announced
8gVTDhDMArFv3Yzs3r8ziY-1200-80.gif
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a horror metroidvania with some pretty horrible doors

I've picked an awful lot of videogame locks in my life, but I've never seen one quite like this. With a good old-fashioned metal lock, you know where you are—whether you're breaking open lockers in one of Fallout's vaults, or breaking into a noble's mansion in Thief. But what are you supposed to say to a rubbery-lipped eldritch mouth with a bottom row of crooked teeth, and a top row of swollen, pallid fingers?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last Case of Benedict Fox - fantastic looking Lovecraftian Metroidvania (PC/Xbox Series/Game Pass), update: 27 April 2023 release announced, "Developer Gameplay" video
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last Case of Benedict Fox - fantastic looking Lovecraftian Metroidvania (PC/Xbox Series/Game Pass), update: now available for download

Looking forward to getting some time with this, im just not sure when. Jedi: Survivor, Zelda, Diablo 4, and FFXVI are probably going to demand a lot of time. I’ve also been into the FF collection, but I’ve played all those before multiple times. I’m installing new front door, patio door, and windows on our house, requiring reframing, so that’s stealing a ton of my free time as well. Just glad I don’t have to do the painting. I have no idea where I’m supposed to find the time to play everything coming.

• Halal 1

According to ResetERA posters, this game definitely needed some more time in the oven.

Guys just wait for a patch, the game right now is in a miserable state, you risk to hit a gamebreaking bugs in way too many ways, like my bug (which devs told they are fixing, but I don't know if the fix, as I hope, will work for existing saves or you need to restart the game, disappearing tarot cards, flashlight not working, the game not saving your progress...this needed at least six months of additional work, imho.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, Firewithin said:

i played for about an hour the other day and while i did experience any of that it just doesnt feel good.  it feels like there is a huge input lag when doing anything.

That's essentially what the some of reviews are reflecting as well:

Game Information

Game Title: The Last Case of Benedict Fox

Platforms:

• PC (Apr 27, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 27, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Apr 27, 2023)

Developer: Plot Twist

Publisher: Rogue Games, Inc.

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 66 average - 27% recommended

Critic Reviews

GamesCreed - 4.7 / 5

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is one game that, unlike its peers in the Lovecraftian horror genre, doesn’t rely on doom and gloom and instead provides you with a visual feast for the eyes. The game has incredibly simple yet flexible combat that gets brought down by its control mapping, which may get you eaten once or twice.

GameLuster - 9 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a beautiful Lovecraftian Metroidvania, with challenging combat and puzzles, a rich story, and complicated mysteries that truly makes you feel like a detective in a strange world.

NoobFeed - 90 / 100

The Last Case of Benedict Fox's beautiful visuals will keep you hooked from the get-go. The mechanics are simple enough that even novice players won't have trouble getting the hang of the game. Both the story and the level of challenge are excellent, preventing the game from ever seeming stale. Anyone who enjoys platformers should give The Last Case of Benedict Fox one a try. It is a fantastic showcase of what can be done in the platforming genre, with stunning visuals, engaging gameplay, and a memorable cast of characters.

Try Hard Guides - 8.5 / 10

Throughout your time in The Last Case of Benedict Fox, players will be confused, intrigued, frustrated, and rewarded for the effort that they put in. While the combat isn’t the best in the show, the exploration and mystery-solving aspects will likely be enough to keep players coming back for more. It will be really exciting to see the theories and community that build around what has the makings to be a cult classic.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

There's something wildly thoughtful and provocative about The Last Case of Benedict Fox. You'll find it within this wondrous 2.5D Metroidvania platformer's beautiful world that is oozing life despite death being front and center. It only wavers in its messy combat experiences with the shadow forces of limbo. Despite this particular fault, there's still plenty to love.

MondoXbox - Italian - 8 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox leverages a charming setting to introduce an interesting Metroidvania gameplay, full of puzzles and a bit light on action and difficulty. Some control issues and lack of clear mission progression keep it from reaching higher grounds, but lovers of the Metroidvania genre will find a rewarding and memorable experience in it.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5

The Last Case of Benedict Fox was clearly crafted with love as it nails what it is to be a fantastic Metroidvania, wrapping it up in a Lovecraftian murder mystery. Every part of this game feeds wonderfully into the others, creating a great experience that is only really let down by some mechanical inconsistencies.

Use a Potion - 8 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox isn’t perfect, but the excellent puzzle design and sinister yet beautiful world certainly help it shine. It’s just a shame that the combat mechanics let it down, and whilst they’re not necessarily bad, they did get a little repetitive and made for some frustrating moments.

Still, they didn’t stop me from really enjoying my time playing the game, with the strong points certainly outweighing those that let it down. And sure, it could have done with a bit of sprucing up here and there, but The Last Case of Benedict Fox’s certainly kept me hooked into its twisted yet wonderful world.

Impulsegamer - 3.8 / 5

The Last Case of Benedict Fox will be a good experience for Lovecraft and detective fans, if they aren't too picky with their games.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a videogame with an interesting and well-presented storyline. Net of some critical issues in the combat system and an uncertainty in the progression, what is offered is still good.

COGconnected - 74 / 100

The Last Case of Benedict Fox marries beautiful art and some excellent puzzles to a confounding narrative and sometimes frustrating mechanics. Had it been a pure adventure puzzle game it might have fared better. The game’s platforming and combat are unrefined elements in an otherwise intriguing conception.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 73 / 100

The Last Case of Benedict Fox brings Lovecraft's universe to our consoles. Get ready to live a dark and mysterious adventure while reliving the memories of some murdered people.

Geeks & Com - French - 7 / 10

Is The Last Case of Benedict Fox a good game? The answer is in half-tone. The game clearly masters some subjects: the atmosphere, the suspense, the gloomy side of the game. There are also some excellent puzzles in this game. And that's the main reason why we return to it again and again. But there are also the fighting and platforming phases. And these moments might be enough to make you drop out faster than you think. If ever the work is done on the part of the developers to improve this, the game will be worth the cost. But it will have to be done quickly, otherwise The Last Case of Benedict Fox could fall into the abyss.

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox has some smart puzzles and a great art style, but it's let down by repetitive combat and unresponsive traversal.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 7 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox does things extremely, whether good or bad. The story is deep and intriguing, and puzzles are creative and fun to solve, but combat lacks balance, and exploration can be frustrating with vague directions as to what to do next.

XboxEra - 7 / 10

If you can handle some curious design quirks, a few bugs, and don’t mind poking around in the dark looking for clues, The Last Case of Benedict Fox might just be a breath of fresh air.

IGN Italy - Italian - 6.7 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is undermined by some rather significant flaws in platforming and combat, but the atmosphere is remarkable and the mix of exploration and puzzles makes it an atypical (even if flawed) metroidvania.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Ultimately, our encounter with The Last Case of Benedict Fox gave us mixed feelings. On the one hand we find an interesting plot, embellished with some tasty twist and framed by an extremely fascinating setting.

GameGrin - 6.5 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is an alright metroidvania mystery game, but can be incredibly frustrating at times and gets very repetitive. The game started off with an interesting story, but felt like it didn't pay off in the end.

Spaziogames - Italian - 6.3 / 10

Story premise and good puzzles aside, The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a wasted opportunity. With stiff controls, inaccurate hitboxes, slow inputs and many gameplay hiccups, it's a game that should have stayed in development longer.

3DNews - Russian - 6 / 10

I can only hope that The Last Case of Benedict Fox won't be the last case of Plot Twist making games.

GameMAG - Russian - 6 / 10

We got an adventure with some interesting episodes, bad combat mechanics and annoying monsters that are superfluous for immersion in the narrative. Puzzles and atmosphere can grab your attention, but for this you have to be a big fan of the mystical things.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox's incredible lore and art direction are regularly hampered by mediocre combat and platforming mechanics.

GamesRadar+ - 3 / 5

The Last Case of Benedict Fox could be a great game, but it's let down by its own confused execution.

IGN - 6 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a disappointingly uneven Metroidvania that’s just as likely to engage as it is to enrage.

Wolf's Gaming Blog - 3 / 5

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is a tough game to recommend, and yet I think for the right people it may be a case worth taking on. It’s just a shame that the clunky controls and the dull combat really hurt the rest of the game because there’s a lot to like. The puzzles are generally fun to solve, the world is interesting, the story has some cool ideas and it looks terrific. Hopefully, a couple of substantial updates may be able to improve the overall feel and do justice to everything else.

Checkpoint Gaming - 5.5 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox takes a unique concept but doesn't quite manage to assemble something memorable out of the sum of its parts. A combination of unsatisfying combat and clunky controls makes for a poor metroidvania, and its narrative and puzzle elements are not enough to make up for it. There is some fun to be had here though, and its graphical style certainly makes it easy on the eyes.

Gamefa - Persian - 5.5 / 10

The Last Case of Benedict Fox is one of the most disappointing games of 2023. From poor story to horrible controls and ample technical issues, this game gives you lots of reasons not to experience it!

PC Gamer - 54 / 100

Intriguing puzzles aside, this metroidvania is plagued with systems that seem designed to frustrate.

Kakuchopurei - 50 / 100

The Last Case of Benedict Fox isn't a complete failure, but it's hard to experience when there are other better Metroidvania-style titles out there these past few months [...]

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Last Case of Benedict Fox - fantastic looking Lovecraftian Metroidvania (PC/Xbox Series/Game Pass), update: reviews from OpenCritic posted