Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Remake Part 2) - "An Excellent But Inconsistent Experience" (Digital Foundry Technical Review)

Keyser_Soze

12 hours ago, legend said:

The church part is the main quest. He meant the other stuff where you interact with her more is in the side quests.

10-4. Seemed like they took main quest scenarios and made them side quests to add more time to Rebirth. Maybe I'll play it at some point and see for myself but just can't be bothered by it at the moment

2 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

10-4. Seemed like they took main quest scenarios and made them side quests to add more time to Rebirth. Maybe I'll play it at some point and see for myself but just can't be bothered by it at the moment

Oh, TBC, I meant in Remake. The Church scene is in Remake, not Rebirth. But then there are a whole bunch of side quests in Remake that expand on Kyrie and her grandmother.

Rebirth does also have additional side quests with Kyrie, but thus far they really do feel like side quests: they're not critical to the story. The main quest feels pretty comprehensive so far.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Cloud and Tifa having a thing isn’t so clear in the OG. There was definitely a love triangle.

Just don't tell any of the passionate sides that it wasn't clear. They each think it was incredibly clear for their side :p 

I do agree with you though: they were wrong and it was deliberately left open to interpretation in the OG. I would even say that it's open in Remake. But in Rebirth, I feel like there is no room for interpretation. There are so many signs that Tifa is the canonical love interest.  It even seems like Aerith knows that and mostly likes to tease Cloud.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Cloud obviously has a thing for Barret and that gatling gun of his. You know what I mean?

Cloud CONSTANTLY brushes off the girls it's painfully obvious he is gay. 

lol. Barret is awesome though, and I like how much their friendship evolved from the start of Remake.

My Cloud is definitely not brushing off Tifa :p But he is like a teenager badly hiding how hot he is for her.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, legend said:

There are so many signs that Tifa is the canonical love interest.  It even seems like Aerith knows that and mostly likes to tease Cloud.

But Aeris is the canonical love interest. You get on that Ferris wheel with her and then miss out on the epic love scene with Tifa later in the game and you're just friends instead.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

lol. Barret is awesome though, and I like how much their friendship evolved from the start of Remake.

My Cloud is definitely not brushing off Tifa :p But he is like a teenager badly hiding how hot he is for her.

I guess. When he sees her in her outfit at the beach he was acting strange. But I still think he prefers Barret. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I guess. When she is in her outfit at the beach he was acting strange. But I still think he prefers Barret. 

My twitter timeline is strangely filled with people posting Cloud-Tifa interactions and comparisons with others. There are a lot of signs :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

My twitter timeline is strangely filled with people posting Cloud-Tifa interactions and comparisons with others. There are a lot of signs :p 

I'm just playing because Cloud is so fuckin strange to me. It's pretty clear he likes Tifa and vice versa. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, legend said:

Just don't tell any of the passionate sides that it wasn't clear. They each think it was incredibly clear for their side :p 

I do agree with you though: they were wrong and it was deliberately left open to interpretation in the OG. I would even say that it's open in Remake. But in Rebirth, I feel like there is no room for interpretation. There are so many signs that Tifa is the canonical love interest.  It even seems like Aerith knows that and mostly likes to tease Cloud.

Yes, absolutely. It’s not even questionable. And personally I think it’s the better choice narratively.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eventide11 said:

That's main story line in FF7 OG not a side quest. Maybe they made it a side quest in the remakes which is odd but nah, not a side quest originally. Maybe peeps should save up some money and pay attention (not directed at you Biggie)

Oh no, it’s main story in remake. Pretty much all of FF7 OG Midgar happens. Only thing I can think of that doesn’t is them getting imprisoned in Shinra tower before Sephiroth’s attack.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yes, absolutely. It’s not even questionable. And personally I think it’s the better choice narratively.

Yeah I agree. Especially after they introduced more about Zack.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, legend said:

He effectively is a teenager 
og spoilers

Spoiler

He was 16 when Nibelheim was destroyed and he was put in the mako tank. He came out at 21. Mentally he is a 16 year old, even though he’s 21. 

it’s rarely talked about that Cloud is a child soldier. He joined the Shinra Military at 14. 

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

He effectively is a teenager 
og spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that's true. He gets a bit of a pass for that.

I don't care if he's 13, he never ever speaks up and says what's on his mind. It's extremely lame at a writing perspective. 

"Uh, um, eh".... thanks cloud! Tifa constantly asks him questions or he gets those weird memories of Sephiroth and he says absolutely nothing!

:lol:

Just now, best3444 said:

I don't care if he's 13, he never ever speaks up and says what's on his mind. It's extremely lame at a writing perspective. 

"Uh, um, eh".... thanks cloud! Tifa constantly asks him questions or he gets those weird memories of Sephiroth and he says absolutely nothing!

He's kind of dealing with something on top... Pretty sure you'll find out this game.

Just now, best3444 said:

You clearly don’t understand the character or why he’s like that. 

I’ll talk about other spoilers after everyone is finished, if we get that far in the story, but there is fundamental reasons he’s so closed off. Mentally he’s a mess.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

So 55 hours into 2 games I still don't know what's wrong with Cloud and why he doesn't say anything? Got it. lol

Correct! This is one of the disadvantages for people who didn't play the OG coupled with the fact that everything is so expanded that it's taking much longer for the reveals to hit in the story of the remakes.

• Halal 1

Best is too much of a graphics whore to even entertain playing the first one. I told him how to play it on his deck with the seventh heaven mod which looks amazing but he noped out of it.

If you want answers now and not in four more years then play the original.

Then since this game is actually a different thing than the original game then you'll get whatever answers the new games are giving.

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Best is too much of a graphics whore to even entertain playing the first one. I told him how to play it on his deck with the seventh heaven mod which looks amazing but he noped out of it.

If you want answers now and not in four more years then play the original.

Then since this game is actually a different thing than the original game then you'll get whatever answers the new games are giving.

It's just too old of a game for me to play, tough guy lol. You're not even playing this game so I'm not sure why you are talking to me. 

@legend It makes sense what you said. I look forward to finding out what is actually wrong with Cloud. Maybe I don't find out until part 3. Regardless these games are great. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

FF16 is a very good but flawed game. It’s certainly not bad in any way. 

It was good for the first 10 hours. Then it went down hill fast. Remake and Rebirth are on another level. 

• True 1

My final opinion of FF16 is the same as my early opinion on it. Fun, but not great. FF7Rs have done a much better job at balancing classic FF party, leveling, and turn based strategy with a (mostly) real-time system.

• True 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie I tried FF16 and immediately when hearing the music it brought back so many bad memories. I deleted it. 

I’m redownloading Star Wars Survivor. I need to try and play it. Never gave it a fair chance for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m redownloading Star Wars Survivor. I need to try and play it. Never gave it a fair chance for some reason. 

It's really good. I personally think it's starts out gripping and never let's go. 

Red XIII is OP in the early game. 

I beat Titan with him shortly after leaving the mines, well after the rest of my team went down in the fight.  Gave him a Cure and Chakra materia.  And when you’re running low on ATB, siphon strike and his limit break heal him too.

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh no, it’s main story in remake. Pretty much all of FF7 OG Midgar happens. Only thing I can think of that doesn’t is them getting imprisoned in Shinra tower before Sephiroth’s attack.

Whats weird is I played and beat remake and don't even remember that

29 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Whats weird is I played and beat remake and don't even remember that

Oh, it didn’t happen in remake, that’s what I meant (the imprisonment).

unless you’re talking about my earlier post.

I just got to 

Spoiler

Nibelheim

(Chapter 11, no spoilers except location)

and damn, shit is opening up

• Thanks 1