Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (Netflix, 13 September 2022) - anime series from Studio Trigger and CD Projekt Red

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (Netflix, 13 September 2022) - anime series from Studio Trigger and CD Projekt Red
19 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

52 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jesus Christ almighty :rofl:

That trailer is clear evidence that there always needs to be someone in the room to say "Maybe we should dial things back just a little bit."

It's Studio Trigger, if anything they're going to dial it up.

Looks better every time they release a trailer btw, looking forward to this.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'll be tuning in. I was a big fan of Cyberpunk 2077 and even though I'm not the biggest Studio Trigger fan, this sounds a big more grounded for them and when they are a bit more grounded, their work is a lot better.

Are you trying to tell me Kill la Kill wasn't grounded?! :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno. Still hard to call it "grounded" when the world itself is so outrageous on it's own. If anything Studio Trigger are just running with what was already given to them.

Sure, I think that helps a lot here. I haven't seen it yet, but I'd think that it's still grounded for Studio Trigger, Cyberpunk was crazy but not Dead Leaves/Gurren Lagann/Kill la Kill/Promare crazy.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno. Still hard to call it "grounded" when the world itself is so outrageous on it's own. If anything Studio Trigger are just running with what was already given to them.

Also @legend didn't address it but, David Martinez best anime name ever?

Well, there's no talking clothes, so that gives it an edge toward grounded for them :p 

(TBC, I actually like Kill la Kill a lot though!)

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah @Greatoneshere is on some crack pipe because that's one of their best anime and totally over the top. :p (Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt let's go!)

And the clothes don't talk but they do something else 🤫

I didn't say anything about the quality of Studio Trigger stuff. Kill la Kill is good, but Trigger stuff for me can be a bit much sometimes.

• Hugs 1

I just watched the first episode - and it was pretty good! Like @legend, this is much better than I thought it would be. I enjoy Cyberpunk's world, hearing "choom" and other terms, and the animation is, unsurprisingly, gorgeous. Studio Trigger being forced into a plot and narrative structure and form is a godsend for their usual acid trip anime. And it fits Cyberpunk's world - there's plenty of over the top violence, gore, sex, etc. but it's toned down from typical Trigger to something at least heading towards grounded. There's actual substance to the story and characters. I'll definitely continue watching, and others on the fence should give this a shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, legend said:

I really hope more people check this out. I don't see a lot of word of mouth around it, but it was really quite good.

Maybe no word of mouth around here but I've seen plenty of articles saying the anime has given the game a significant sales bump (or at least player count increase).

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe no word of mouth around here but I've seen plenty of articles saying the anime has given the game a significant sales bump (or at least player count increase).

Yeah but it’s hard to know what that means in terms of show viewership. I feel like I see buzz for other shows far more commonly even outside of this site. I hope it is doing better than it seems though. 

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For me personally, the ultra-violence of the last trailer was just far too much for me.

This will probably frame it best - if you have any familiarity with the world of the original game or the video game, the world of Cyberpunk itself is a bit over the top. The anime adapts that perfectly, but it will definitely be way too much for some. The video game is equally a very dirty and grimy world of sex and violence. There are wonderful moments of awe and beauty and serenity but most of it is sex and violence and gangs and surviving, etc.

Cyberpunk 2077 and Blade Runner, despite both being a part of the cyberpunk genre, couldn't be more different in terms of how they present their future worlds of sex and violence, etc. Blade Runner is contemplative and sedate and existential. Cyberpunk can be that, explores those themes, etc. (because it's still cyberpunk) but it's the sex, drugs, and rock and roll version of the same.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This will probably frame it best - if you have any familiarity with the world of the original game or the video game, the world of Cyberpunk itself is a bit over the top. The anime adapts that perfectly, but it will definitely be way too much for some. The video game is equally a very dirty and grimy world of sex and violence. There are wonderful moments of awe and beauty and serenity but most of it is sex and violence and gangs and surviving, etc.

Cyberpunk and Blade Runner, despite both being a part of the cyberpunk genre, couldn't be more polar opposites in terms of how they present their future worlds of sex and violence, etc.

From that trailer,  CP2077 has nothing on the anime in terms of an over-the-top depiction of sex n' violence!  It's positively tame in comparison!

• True 1

I'm only on episode 4 and the trailer is very over the top and stylized compared to the show. I don't know what about the violence turned you off but so far it is infrequent but when it happens it is generally pretty brutal (like Troma levels of gore)

In any case if this is a "Wade's first anime" type deal I would stay away and maybe start with Peach Girl or something.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From that trailer,  CP2077 has nothing on the anime in terms of an over-the-top depiction of sex n' violence!  It's positively tame in comparison!

Did you play the game (just to confirm)? I mean, the graphics in the game are more realistic, and I'd agree the anime is more anime about it, but I mean when you're playing as Keanu Reeves you're popping pills and fucking women and blacking out and waking up in all kinds of different scenarios. There's sex workers right on the street you can hire, there's areas you can go and wantonly kill people, and more. The game felt pretty aggressive to me. I agree, the anime is moreso though, but it's adapting CP to anime and Trigger's style. I think this is what CP2077 looks like as a good anime, in the same way that's what CP2077 looked like as a good video game (don't come at me about glitches and shit). :p 

I would agree the trailer is pushing the over the top stuff harder - the show itself is much tamer and crazy moments are pretty isolated (but absolutely there). Where do you land when it comes to anime? You don't seem like an anime person. :p