Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (Netflix, 13 September 2022) - anime series from Studio Trigger and CD Projekt Red

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I would agree the trailer is pushing the over the top stuff harder - the show itself is much tamer and crazy moments are pretty isolated (but absolutely there). Where do you land when it comes to anime? You don't seem like an anime person. :p

He's the "They should have dropped three nukes on Japan" guy but Cyberpunk anime is too much for him :sickos:

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From that trailer,  CP2077 has nothing on the anime in terms of an over-the-top depiction of sex n' violence!  It's positively tame in comparison!

I think you're getting the wrong impression from the trailer then :p The most explicit sex in the anime is very short (like half a second long) and certainly no worse than anything in the game. There's maybe more blood in the anime than the game?

Ultimately, the show is very character driven with a very personal and even touching story.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@legend

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! I was really worried this would go too unnoticed and that would be it.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just finished this - great ending, really went for it. I highly recommend this for someone who wants something with a lot of style, but is absolutely insane at times. Given the way the show works though:

Reveal hidden contents

Glad you enjoyed it! The ending really got me in the feels and brings the whole thing together for me. It's one of the few animes that I'm already considering rewatching. The soundtrack is also pretty fantastic and matches the themes so well.

Regarding your question:

Spoiler

It absolutely feels like a standalone self contained story to me. I don't think there's any reason to follow the characters after this except perhaps in cameos. But I really want there to be an option of Studio Trigger doing other self-contained seasons in the world and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Also, one of the things I loved about this story, especially in comparison to how the west typically handles it is

Spoiler

it was ultimately a love story, but they completely skip the whole big misunderstanding that causes the characters to break up until they finally figure it out at the end. I find big misunderstandings in western love stories to be the single most boring plot device in the history of plot devices and yet it feels like every fucking love story movie and show has to use it. In this, there are some secrets between David and Lucy, but nothing that causes them to lose each other. They are dedicated to each other throughout and instead the story finds other ways to add conflict.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, legend said:

Glad you enjoyed it! The ending really got me in the feels and brings the whole thing together for me. It's one of the few animes that I'm already considering rewatching. The soundtrack is also pretty fantastic and matches the themes so well.

Regarding your question:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, one of the things I loved about this story, especially in comparison to how the west typically handles it is

Reveal hidden contents

I agree with you on all fronts - first that I'd love to see more Studio Trigger self-contained stories in this world, and the ending also really got me in the feels too. The whole thing really is beautifully animated - and the soundtrack is killer, loved the opening and ending songs too.

• Hugs 1

On 9/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

It's an animated show but not really an anime. It's not even animated by a Japanese studio. Split between an American studio and two Korean Studios that do animation in a western style.

My standard for judging whether an animated series is "anime" has one sole criteria:  do any of the characters have large eyes? 

If "yes", then anime.  If "no", then not anime.

I would definitely call it an anime myself. It's made by Studio Trigger which is a Japanese anime house. I'm not sure about the Korean angle you're talking about @Keyser_Soze, maybe they have an office there that did it? But either way Studio Trigger is Japanese owned.

That said, this is a rather unique anime and doesn't have many of the common anime tropes that probably would annoy @Commissar SFLUFAN. My dad typically dislikes animes, but I managed to convince him to watch it and he enjoyed it! So much that now he wants to play through the game again.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

I would definitely call it an anime myself. It's made by Studio Trigger which is a Japanese anime house. I'm not sure about the Korean angle you're talking about @Keyser_Soze, maybe they have an office there that did it? But either way Studio Trigger is Japanese owned.

@legend Tune up your eye chips. We are talking about Castlevania.

I’m a little late but watched the first 2 episodes last night (because I forgot about Werewolf by Night, that tonight) I actually really enjoyed the episodes and my gawd them colours in Dolby Vision and me on Cinderella 99 was AMAZE-BALLZ.(this strain just makes colours POP!) I will try and watch another 1 or 2 episodes tonight with tomorrows holiday and all (Canadian Thanksgiving) 

• Like 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching this and I'm on episode 5. It's very good... makes me want to replay the game. I won't be anytime soon though. Too many other things to play right now, but I definitely WILL be doing another playthrough with a different build. I was a street kid the first time, but I'll be going Corpo this time I think.

EDIT: Soundtrack is fire too. The show i mean.

• Like 1