June 7 primaries: California, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota

What are people keeping on eye on tonight? There's a nonzero possibility that Rick Caruso, a billionaire real estate mogul, wins the LA mayorship outright. With the top-two primaries here you can win the election outright and skip the general if you get more than 50% of the vote, and he's basically the only one who's been running ads.

Definitely the LA mayoral one though I doubt he's going to win it outright.

An article that discusses Caruso's support from black men:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

In a new poll, roughly half of Black men said they want the billionaire developer to be L.A. mayor. The reasons why could have big ramifications.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Definitely the LA mayoral one though I doubt he's going to win it outright.

I dunno, I think between the fact that he's really the only one running ads and turnout may not be great (lots of people just assuming there will be a general election so this primary "doesn't matter") that it could realistically happen. 

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also, the recall elections against the San Francisco and Los Angeles DAs.

You'll be shocked I'm sure to learn they're both Republican grifts. The one in San Francisco is being pushed by a guy who tried to run for San Francisco mayor as a Republican. For the Los Angeles one, I got a mailer with a letter claiming to have been written by a "progressive Democrat" that was also asking for money. I went to the website to see if I could figure out who's running it and saw it says "powered by Winning Tuesday".  Click that link and it's a page full of PragerU, Larry Elder, etc. 

LPHKipG.png

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

You'll be shocked I'm sure to learn they're both Republican grifts. The one in San Francisco is being pushed by a guy who tried to run for San Francisco mayor as a Republican. For the Los Angeles one, I got a mailer with a letter claiming to have been written by a "progressive Democrat" that was also asking for money. I went to the website to see if I could figure out who's running it and saw it says "powered by Winning Tuesday".  Click that link and it's a page full of PragerU, Larry Elder, etc. 

LPHKipG.png

CTJqFdNUcAAZkDC.jpg

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No general election if you pass 50% on a primary is broken in a way only California could manage

We also had to vote twice for Padilla on the same ballot. Once for him to serve through the rest of the term ending in January 2023 and then for the full term that starts then. So theoretically not impossible for him to not serve the remainder of this term and then come back in January 2023...I mean, realistically won't happen, but dumb as shit for the system to even allow it as a hypothetical possibility. 

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

We also had to vote twice for Padilla on the same ballot. Once for him to serve through the rest of the term ending in January 2023 and then for the full term that starts then. So theoretically not impossible for him to not serve the remainder of this term and then come back in January 2023...I mean, realistically won't happen, but dumb as shit for the system to even allow it as a hypothetical possibility. 

Somehow somebody will attempt to spinning that as voter fraud. "What voting for somebody twice on the same ballot? That just isn't right," or some asinine crap. 

The brazenness of the the tik tok smash and grabs, and non felonious theft is what did him in (friends car has been broken into last 3 times he's been in SF)

People are all for reforming the criminal justice system, as long as they aren't affected by these typ of property crimes

But once again, democrats who have a super majority still haven't fixed the recall process in California yet

11 hours ago, Oberon said:

The brazenness of the the tik tok smash and grabs, and non felonious theft is what did him in (friends car has been broken into last 3 times he's been in SF)

People are all for reforming the criminal justice system, as long as they aren't affected by these typ of property crimes

But once again, democrats who have a super majority still haven't fixed the recall process in California yet

grifters did him in 

Boudin had a good premise, but terribly flawed execution. The DA can’t radically change culture just by declining to prosecute crimes.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Boudin had a good premise, but terribly flawed execution. The DA can’t radically change culture just by declining to prosecute crimes.

he got blamed for the problems SF has had long before he was relevant. people got tricked into voting him out. those problems will still be around. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

he got blamed for the problems SF has had long before he was relevant. people got tricked into voting him out. those problems will still be around. 

The recall rumblings started very early with him because Republicans have started abusing the recall as a sore loser mechanism to overturn elections. In Los Angeles a city councilwoman faced a recall attempt (didn't make it to the ballot) after less than a year in office. 

12 minutes ago, johnny said:

His policies made things worse. We already know that the pre-trial release on felonies was sending a bunch of people right back into crime, and his position was to release even more.

The problem is there are no good support systems in place to address the needs of those who have been charged with these crimes and help keep them out of further trouble.

Reducing pre-trial detention is a good goal, but a recipe for worse outcomes when nothing else in the chain is working towards improving things. 

Boudin isn’t the only DA who has run into similar issues, but hand waving these things because it was also bad before doesn’t help improve the situation.

Crime is also up in places without Boudins as DAs. But a lot of it the perceived rise is just propaganda from chud cops and DAs who want to own libs and are pissed off that they can't just sprinkle crack on people for easy wins anymore.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Crime is also up in places without Boudins as DAs. But a lot of it the perceived rise is just propaganda from chud cops and DAs who want to own libs and are pissed off that they can't just sprinkle crack on people for easy wins anymore.

Don’t forget real estate interests

That WSJ article does bring up a good point about rural crime. 

But the article absolutely glosses over a racially motivated crime it covers. Just blows right past a white guy killing a black guy and then talking about "protecting white children."

Also, I'm a big dumb nerd and just noticed that all the states listed in the thread title are US Navy battleships that served in WW2, with the exception of Montana, which was planned but cancelled in favor of more carriers. :sun:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They didn't have the court extend the date to get enough signatures like the Newsom recall.

They only got that for the Newsom recall because of COVID. IIRC it was spring 2021, so most people weren't vaccinated yet. 

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

They only got that for the Newsom recall because of COVID. IIRC it was spring 2021, so most people weren't vaccinated yet. 

I mean I'm sure they used that as an excuse but do you think under normal circumstances they get the same number that they did?