Onkyo Goes Bankrupt

Sound United wanted to buy Onkyo and Onkyo said no? Companies like Sound United and Music Tribe are the only way these smaller audio companies can exist these days. It's an expensive market to be in and you have to compete with the likes of Samsung or the wildly thin margins of TCL.

I get that Japanese brands don't really like to sell themselves to foreign conglomerates, but Onkyo wasn't anywhere closet to competing with their colleagues at Sony or Panasonic.

Still sucks. I've owned a bunch of Onkyo gear over the years.

I believe I have only bought one receiver from them and that was their first receiver to release with an 2 HDMI input and a single output. (Wanna say it was the 605 unit) Also wonder if their HDMI board issues a few years back is what helped setup its decline/bankruptcy today. Part of the reason why I never bought another unit of theirs was because of that news. I’ve had the following receivers over the past 20+ years RCA(HTiB), Marantz, Onkyo, Sony, back to Marantz and now trying Denon. So far my favourite for just pure raw power it output was my Sony receiver, but was replaced for Atmos capability. Might be replaced by the Denon, when I finally get it and hear it in action. Spider-Man: No Way Home will be my first movie of choice to watch

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I had a few Onlyo receivers, but switched to Yamaha because they were comparable in price and features in addition to running cooler in my experience. 

I also switched from Onkyo to Yamaha. My Onkyo had an HDMI switching problem which I temporarily fixed by replacing the capacitors (thanks YT) but that stopped working after 2 more years. I swore off Onkyo after that.

1 minute ago, 69los said:

I also switched from Onkyo to Yamaha. My Onkyo had an HDMI switching problem which I temporarily fixed by replacing the capacitors (thanks YT) but that stopped working after 2 more years. I swore off Onkyo after that.

I never had any issues with them other than the temperature they ran at meant my cat always curled up on top of the thing, so I had to clean the guts out more often than my PC. :p

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 69los said:

Yea, there was one line of receivers from them that had an issue where the capacitors would go bad if they reached a certain temperature. It happened to me, but onkyo fixed it for free as it was a known issue (they provided service even out of warranty)