Director Justin Lin Steps Down From Directing Two-Part Franchise Finale Fast 10 + Fast 11

MCDFAAN_UV115.jpg?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

Justin Lin’s exit from directing "Fast X" after filming started has Universal racing to find a replacement to make their release date.

Lin’s exit was reportedly “amicable” and chalked up to “creative differences.” But leaving a multi-million franchise days into production has put Universal in the rare and unenviable position of finding a replacement in time to make their planned May 19, 2023 theatrical release date.

Representatives for Universal did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The biggest challenge facing the production is time. Sources tell Variety that the second unit will continue production in the U.K., while the main unit is paused until a replacement director is hired. Until then, the production is burning through cash to keep key crew and cast members in limbo. Sources from different studios with experience replacing directors midstream estimated that it could be costing Universal upwards of $600,000 to $1 million a day. Much of the cost depends on whether production on any major set-pieces were already underway — the bigger the action beats, the more pricey the delay — which suggests that Lin made his decision to vacate the director’s chair so early into the shoot to avoid even bigger cost overruns further down the production calendar.

2 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Hopefully this means a return to the character-driven social commentary he's always done better.  Anyone who hasn't seen Finishing the Game and Better Luck Tomorrow yet has been missing out.

Both great films, but I don't think he'll ever go back to that. Even when he wasn't doing Fast he didn't do that, he did Star Trek Beyond. :p 

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Or Uwe Boll... whatever happened to him???

Uwe Boll officially announced he was retiring from directing in 2016, citing a decline in DVD and Blu-ray sales and that he'd been having to finance his own films since 2005. Of course, he fails to mention these films are tax write offs that use tax loopholes and German tax laws to get funded for quick and easy money. 

He ultimately ended up directing three BloodRayne films, three In the Name of the King films (based on the Dungeon Siege games), and three Rampage films (among directing other films), his final two films were Rampage 2 in 2014 and Rampage 3 in 2016. In October 2020 he announced he's returning to directing, starting with a Rampage 4, but he still hasn't released anything yet. But that's where his "career" currently is. I can proudly say I've never seen an Uwe Boll film. I've seen clips here and there and . . . that was enough. In terms of video game adaptations into live action films that Uwe Boll ruined: House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, Dungeon Siege, and Far Cry, for a total of five. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Uwe Boll officially announced he was retiring from directing in 2016, citing a decline in DVD and Blu-ray sales and that he'd been having to finance his own films since 2005. Of course, he fails to mention these films are tax write offs that use tax loopholes and German tax laws to get funded for quick and easy money. 

He ultimately ended up directing three BloodRayne films, three In the Name of the King films (based on the Dungeon Siege games), and three Rampage films (among directing other films), his final two films were Rampage 2 in 2014 and Rampage 3 in 2016. In October 2020 he announced he's returning to directing, starting with a Rampage 4, but he still hasn't released anything yet. But that's where his "career" currently is. I can proudly say I've never seen an Uwe Boll film. I've seen clips here and there and . . . that was enough. In terms of video game adaptations into live action films that Uwe Boll ruined: House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, Dungeon Siege, and Far Cry, for a total of five. 

Now that you mention it, I do remember him retiring.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I actually liked In the Name of the King. It's perfectly "so bad it's good" territory.

Is it though? To be fair I haven't seen it, but the best "so bad it's good" movies are ones that didn't intend it, like Street Fighter: The Movie and Jurassic World. :p 

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is it though? To be fair I haven't seen it, but the best "so bad it's good" movies are ones that didn't intend it, like Street Fighter: The Movie and Jurassic World. :p 

I mean, it's a lot of fun in a riff tracks kind of way. Like watch it with someone else and make fun of it the whole time.

I guess that doesn't count as "so bad it's good" the way the first few F&F movies do, for example

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I can proudly say I've never seen an Uwe Boll film. I've seen clips here and there and . . . that was enough. In terms of video game adaptations into live action films that Uwe Boll ruined: House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne, Dungeon Siege, and Far Cry, for a total of five. 

You missed out on a tour de force performance from Michael Madsen then.

The first Bloodrayne is a bad in a fun way type of movie, the other Bloodrayne movies are bad in a bad way movies. :p

• True 1

I mean, you know what you're getting with Louis Leterrier, how you felt about the films he's directed so far will give you a good indication of how you'll probably feel about Fast X:

-The Transporter

-Unleashed

-Transporter 2

-The Incredible Hulk

-Clash of the Titans

-Now You See Me

-The Brothers Grimsby

And yes, apparently it was Vin Diesel and Universal vs. Justin Lin, apparently there was one major blow out that caused him to leave: 

furious-vindiesel-1280jpg-5ee5f7-160w-16
WWW.IGN.COM

Fast X director Justin Lin reportedly quit after a major argument with Vin Diesel over the script that ended with a slammed door and the director's resignation.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's a fine enough choice for this franchise.

Yes he's a very solid action director and has already done this TYPE of film with The Transporter series which helped turn Jason Statham into an action star. I've seen all of his films except for the Brothers Grimsby. He makes fun popcorn flicks.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes he's a very solid action director and has already done this TYPE of film with The Transporter series which helped turn Jason Statham into an action star. I've seen all of his films except for the Brothers Grimsby. He makes fun popcorn flicks.

I felt Transporter 2 and Clash of the Titans were mediocre, and The Brothers Grimsby was outright bad, but I had a lot of fun with The Transporter, Unleashed, Now You See Me and The Incredible Hulk so I have hope. I think a lot of it will depend on the screenplay, given this breakdown.

• 7 months later...