Nintendo's worst mistakes.

CastletonSnob

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

In the first year they had Rayman, Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2, Tomb Raider, Crash, so no, there was no problem with its launch. By the time N64 came, Playstation was already leading the market. And they then went into probably one of the best years ever in gaming, and Nintendo could just never catch up. 3rd party publishers were happy to develop for Sony (and make more money doing so) from day 1. Anyone cotluld develop for it, royalties were lower, anyone pretending PSX didn't have a strong start is being disengenous.

Also, it doesn't matter if games hold up today, What matters is how they were enjoyed when they were new. Games "holding up" is terrible metric. It doesn't matter how we feel today. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I've read some bad takes in my life, but that has to be one of the worst!

It absolutely matters if a game holds up today.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, Paperclyp said:

Underestimating Sony multiple times 

Dog shit understanding of how to respect and sell their legacy content

Fearful, ancient online philosophies 

I feel like these are less "mistakes" and more like just "annoyances" gamers have with the company.

54 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

In the first year they had Rayman, Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2, Tomb Raider, Crash, Resident Evil, so no, there was no problem with its launch. By the time N64 came, Playstation was already leading the market. And they then went into probably one of the best years ever in gaming, and Nintendo could just never catch up. 3rd party publishers were happy to develop for Sony (and make more money doing so) from day 1. Anyone cotluld develop for it, royalties were lower, anyone pretending PSX didn't have a strong start is being disengenous.

Also, it doesn't matter if games hold up today, What matters is how they were enjoyed when they were new. Games "holding up" is terrible metric. It doesn't matter how we feel today. 

They definitely didn't have Tekken 3 in the first year, lulz. :p 

The Nintendo 64 actually had a pretty successful launch, actually doing better than Playstation's. Nintendo was a HUGE name in the '90s, and people were stoked for the system. I may have to do some research, but I seem to recall the Playstation selling FINE at first, but nothing too crazy. But yo, once Final Fantasy VII dropped? Oh man. It was like someone strapped a jet engine to the system and it took off leaving the competition in the dust. No one could catch Playstation at that point. 

At least in the console market. No one was catching Nintendo's Game Boy, and Pokémon made sure of it during that same console generation, haha. 

31 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I feel like these are less "mistakes" and more like just "annoyances" gamers have with the company.

Mistake is a vague term. Their online approach and legacy content approach go way beyond annoyances for any non-fanboy of the company - though you could argue that they should piss off fanboys the most. It is insulting how they handle not just selling or making old games available, but how they go after any little project and use the full hammer of god to shut it down if it uses their properties in any way. Fan made remakes, archaic streaming rules, hell just including their game in a fucking fighting game tournament. It’s bullshit and actively hurts the company. 

Ignoring online actively hampers some of the best games they’ve made. Mario Maker comes to mind immediately as an incredible piece of software that is made significantly worse by their approach to online. Again this goes beyond annoyance - it’s a game / idea I am absolutely in love with and it is shackled to the most inane community tools that literally ruins the overall experience for me. 

As for underestimating Sony - that isn’t an annoyance to me as I don’t really give a shit about Nintendo’s bottom line. But back when they saw themselves as direct competitors to the other companies in the game, they absolutely did themselves a disservice by the way they handled their shit. 

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I've read some bad takes in my life, but that has to be one of the worst!

Wtf are you talking about tho. The discussion was like about if it was or was not surprising that the PS1 was successful as a new entry to the gaming world, and what factored into that. Whether or not a launch title for the thing holds up in 2022 has essentially nothing to do with the discussion at hand. 

There were a series of issues/mistakes nintendo made in the lead up to the n64 launching that eventually lead to the PS1 benefiting that is far more than just because they used carts. Devs, and Square, had been upset with nintendo for quite some time.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Mistake is a vague term. Their online approach and legacy content approach go way beyond annoyances for any non-fanboy of the company - though you could argue that they should piss off fanboys the most. It is insulting how they handle not just selling or making old games available, but how they go after any little project and use the full hammer of god to shut it down if it uses their properties in any way. Fan made remakes, archaic streaming rules, hell just including their game in a fucking fighting game tournament. It’s bullshit and actively hurts the company.

I think they're bitter their games are pirated so much, lol.

Beyond that though, be honest... it doesn't hurt their business much at all to be a dick to their fans. 
Ask yourself how many people will boycott the next Smash because Nintendo kept it out of EVO or deleted their post mentioning 'PM' or 'Slippi.'

14 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

You're just ridiculous, and wrong.

Does Goldeneye hold up today? No.

Even FF7 doesn't hold up. Itmakes zero difference if a game holds up when talking about success at launch. You're completely off the rails in your analysis of the n64/psx generation. 

When talking about what happened then, all that matters is how people felt then, and where they spent money.

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You're just ridiculous, and wrong.

Even FF7 doesn't hold up. Itmakes zero difference if a game holds up when talking about success at launch. You're completely off the rails in your analysis of the n64/psx generation. 

When talking about what happened then, all that matters is how people felt then, and where they spent money.

It matters if a game holds up, regardless of if it came out at launch.

And the PS1's launch games weren't all that good, even when they came out. For reference, this is the PS1's launch lineup.

PlayStation-launch.jpg

Street Fighter: The Movie is a mediocre game based on a terrible movie, NBA Jam was already ported to death, Jumping Flash is a glorified tech demo, and Ridge Racer is an arcade port. I'd say only Rayman is worth playing today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Fuck yeah it does.  Gotta emulate the leaked XBLA remaster though.  The core of the game itself still shines through.  IMO, the objective based level design is more interesting than what we typically see in modern FPSs.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Even FF7 doesn't hold up.

That's even more subjective.  I'd say the parts of it that hold up the worst were also plainly bad in 1997.  It was always a game where you had to overlook flaws.  The characters have untextured gray boxes for hands.

Blurry pre-rendered backgrounds and pre-rendered videos might be the exception, since they do look better on a CRT.  But you can use AI upscaling mods to fix that nowadays.  There's even a 60fps mod now that quadruples the framerate in battle scenes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Ignoring online actively hampers some of the best games they’ve made. Mario Maker comes to mind immediately as an incredible piece of software that is made significantly worse by their approach to online. Again this goes beyond annoyance - it’s a game / idea I am absolutely in love with and it is shackled to the most inane community tools that literally ruins the overall experience for me. 

As for underestimating Sony - that isn’t an annoyance to me as I don’t really give a shit about Nintendo’s bottom line. But back when they saw themselves as direct competitors to the other companies in the game, they absolutely did themselves a disservice by the way they handled their shit. 

Yeah I guess "mistake" is kinda vague, now that I think about it, haha. 

But I dunno, making their old games available is something I feel Nintendo does A LOT. The various Virtual Console services, re-releases/remakes, the "Mini Classic Consoles" and now the Nintendo Switch Online service...there have been TONS of different ways to play their old games. Not to mention every handheld they've ever made has been backwards compatible with *at least* the generation before. 

They are extremely protective of their IPs, and their rules on streaming, sharing, and fan projects is pretty stupid, IMO. So I think we agree on that part...but is it a "mistake?" I mean, maybe? Again, mistake is vague. But it is annoying for sure.

As for Mario Maker, I haven't really played it all that much. Except, funny enough, the 3DS version. Which doesn't really have online functionality, haha. My experiences with other online Nintendo games have been...I mean, just fine. Sometimes better than what I've played on other platforms, sometimes worse. It varies from game to game. At least, in my experience. 

As for underestimating Sony...I wonder if it was really that? Or maybe Nintendo was overestimating themselves? Considering their position in the gaming industry in the 1990s...that wouldn't surprise me. Mistake either way, though! 

@GameDadGrant I’ve seen the BC thing come up as a defense but it’s such a fleeting fix especially as time goes by. Great, I can play GBA games on my 3DS… ok let’s see what some of the cost of these used carts are, oh shit. 

I wanted to play the GBA metroids before dread came out and my options were like buy a Wii U or buy a GBA and the expensive carts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

And the PS1's launch games weren't all that good, even when they came out. For reference, this is the PS1's launch lineup.

PlayStation-launch.jpg

Street Fighter: The Movie is a mediocre game based on a terrible movie, NBA Jam was already ported to death, Jumping Flash is a glorified tech demo, and Ridge Racer is an arcade port. I'd say only Rayman is worth playing today.

Interesting that this pic shows the "launch" of the PS1 with the DualShock controller. That controller didn't come out until like, I want to say late 1997? Maybe 1998? It's weird that Sony positioned the system as a "3D console" but didn't have analog sticks from the start. Playstation gamers had to wait around 3 years to get a proper 3D controller for their 3D games. 

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@GameDadGrant I’ve seen the BC thing come up as a defense but it’s such a fleeting fix especially as time goes by. Great, I can play GBA games on my 3DS… ok let’s see what some of the cost of these used carts are, oh shit. 

I wanted to play the GBA metroids before dread came out and my options were like buy a Wii U or buy a GBA and the expensive carts. 

Not a fleeting fix if you own the games already! ;) 

But I get your point; sure, maybe *I* have the games and systems to play the old stuff. But maybe in 2050 a kid who is 10 years old wants to get into retro gaming, but can't play Metroid Fusion or something? Yeah it's gonna be tough. (well, I doubt Nintendo will never re-release or remake Fusion, so maybe that's not the best example) 

BC is a nice bonus, but as time goes by, it's difficult for any platform. I mean, have you seen the price for Einhånder on PS1? Why the hell isn't THAT on PSN? :(  (glad I have a physical copy myself, but that doesn't help little Billy in 2050) But yeah, BC isn't perfect, but it is nice to have.

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I think they're bitter their games are pirated so much, lol.

Beyond that though, be honest... it doesn't hurt their business much at all to be a dick to their fans. 
Ask yourself how many people will boycott the next Smash because Nintendo kept it out of EVO or deleted their post mentioning 'PM' or 'Slippi.'

3095702-Gabe-Newell-Quote-The-easiest-wa

That is something Nintendo has never, ever truly understood. They are very much like Disney in that regard in that they will fight tooth, and nail to control every aspect of their IPs in order to maintain that status quo. Mario is to Nintendo as Mickey Mouse is to Disney.

EDIT: Nintendo actually forced the removal of an archive scan of a game guide for Super Mario 64 that someone uploaded. It's a scan...of a game guide that only launched in JPN...is out of print, and has been for decades now...and Nintendo issued a takedown notice for it.

If you want just how "Nintendo being Nintendo" can go, it's bullshit like this.

I've long argued that emulation should be a core competency at Nintendo at this point. Given the rate at which they re-release games across platforms, and their penchant for building novel hardware that may not resemble past hardware in terms of architecture or capabilities, they should be the best in the world at putting their own games on whatever machine. The best of their back catalog should be playable anywhere and should always be the best versions of themselves. If you've got Nintendo hardware, it should never be a question as to if you can play your favorite old Zelda or Mario game. Then they should just be moving through their catalog making premium remakes like Link's Awakening.

Instead it seems that every time Nintendo releases hardware, it's some mystery as to what they'll do with their old games and how much they'll cost and how the official version might be inferior to some pirated emulator. It seems like Nintendo understands the value of their catalog, but is only ever willing to put in the bare minimum effort to monetize them.

Maybe the new subscription is a good way to do it, I haven't paid for it or heard many opinions on it, but it doesn't feel great to pay for a subscription to access games I've payed for multiple times already.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've long argued that emulation should be a core competency at Nintendo at this point. Given the rate at which they re-release games across platforms, and their penchant for building novel hardware that may not resemble past hardware in terms of architecture or capabilities, they should be the best in the world at putting their own games on whatever machine. The best of their back catalog should be playable anywhere and should always be the best versions of themselves. If you've got Nintendo hardware, it should never be a question as to if you can play your favorite old Zelda or Mario game. Then they should just be moving through their catalog making premium remakes like Link's Awakening.

Instead it seems that every time Nintendo releases hardware, it's some mystery as to what they'll do with their old games and how much they'll cost and how the official version might be inferior to some pirated emulator. It seems like Nintendo understands the value of their catalog, but is only ever willing to put in the bare minimum effort to monetize them.

Maybe the new subscription is a good way to do it, I haven't paid for it or heard many opinions on it, but it doesn't feel great to pay for a subscription to access games I've payed for multiple times already.

I think part of the issue is Nintendo has talked in the past about always trying to "move forward" as it were, and by continuing to support old titles, it feels they're going backwards. Not to mention if they cannot figure out something "new and exciting" to add for an existing franchise, they won't do it. Case in point, F-Zero. After F-Zero GX, Nintendo thought that was the end practically. Even Miyamoto himself said something along the lines of, "...didn't we do that already?" In his mind's eye, if they can't do something different, or new for a franchise, they won't bother because they don't want to rehash what has already been done before.

I sort of get that, but on the other hand, it leaves a lot on the table in terms of support. "Oh, you want to play that old game again? Why? Why not play this new game we have instead? It's new, and exciting!"

But if that were truly the case, why bother re-releasing their old titles via Virtual Console, or more recently, NSO? Answer: Nintendo knows that their fans do care, but instead of doing it in a way that would make sense for most people, they must do it their own boneheaded way. Take a look most recently with the Switch update that FINALLY adds folders...except the folders are not on the front page, and you must enter a different sub menu, and then open it up from there. Despite that they're perfectly capable of making folders for their OS as the Wii U, and 3DS have shown, nope. They have to be "different."

22 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

They definitely didn't have Tekken 3 in the first year, lulz. :p 

The Nintendo 64 actually had a pretty successful launch, actually doing better than Playstation's. Nintendo was a HUGE name in the '90s, and people were stoked for the system. I may have to do some research, but I seem to recall the Playstation selling FINE at first, but nothing too crazy. But yo, once Final Fantasy VII dropped? Oh man. It was like someone strapped a jet engine to the system and it took off leaving the competition in the dust. No one could catch Playstation at that point. 

At least in the console market. No one was catching Nintendo's Game Boy, and Pokémon made sure of it during that same console generation, haha. 

Nintendo had a launch with a legendary game, but then it was as bare as a desert for like a year. I remember a time about a year or two into the existence of the N64 where I owned literally every single (non-sports) title available for purchase. It was like 10 games.

If I remember right the N64 launched with 2 games. Mario 64 and Pilotwings.

Pilotwings 64 Nintendo EAD
Nintendo R&D3
Paradigm Simulation
Nintendo Simulation/Flight 1996-06-23JP June 23, 1996 September 29, 1996 March 1, 1997
Super Mario 64 Nintendo EAD Nintendo Action/3D Platformer 1996-06-23JP June 23, 1996 September 29, 1996 March 1, 1997
Wave Race 64 Nintendo EAD Nintendo Racing/Jet Ski 1996-09-27JP September 27, 1996 November 4, 1996 April 29, 1997
Mortal Kombat Trilogy Midway Games
Williams Entertainment
WilliamsNA
GT InteractivePAL
Action/Fighting 1996-11-11NA Unreleased November 11, 1996 March 14, 1997
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey Atari Games Midway Home EntertainmentNA
GT InteractivePAL
GameBankJP
Sports/Ice Hockey 1996-11-18NA February 28, 1998 November 18, 1996 March 1, 1997
Killer Instinct Gold Rare Nintendo Action/Fighting 1996-11-25NA Unreleased November 25, 1996 July 4, 1997
Cruis'n USA Williams Nintendo Racing/Automobile 1996-12-02NA Unreleased December 2, 1996 January 30, 1998
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Teikoku no KageJP
LucasArts Nintendo Action/Third-Person Shooter 1996-12-02NA June 14, 1997 December 2, 1996 March 1, 1997
NBA Hangtime Midway Games Midway Home EntertainmentNA
GT InteractivePAL
Sports/Basketball 1997-01-17NA Unreleased January 17, 1997 September 1, 1997
Mario Kart 64 Nintendo EAD Nintendo Racing/Kart 1996-12-14JP December 14, 1996 February 10, 1997 June 24, 1997
FIFA Soccer 64
FIFA 64PAL
Extended Play Productions EA Sports Sports/Soccer 1997-02-28NA Unreleased February 28, 1997 March 1, 1997
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Jikuu Senshi TurokJP
Iguana Entertainment Acclaim Entertainment
Acclaim JapanJP
Action/First-Person Shooter 1997-03-04NA/PAL May 30, 1997 March 4, 1997 March 4, 1997
Blast Corps
BlastdozerJP
Rare Nintendo Action/Strategy 1997-03-21JP March 21, 1997 March 24, 1997 December 22, 1997
Doom 64 id Software
Midway Studios - San Diego
Midway Home EntertainmentNA
GamebankJP
GT InteractivePAL
Action/First-Person Shooter 1997-04-04NA August 1, 1997 April 4, 1997 December 2, 1997
War Gods Midway Games
Eurocom
Midway Home EntertainmentNA
GT InteractivePAL
Action/Fighting 1997-05-21NA Unreleased May 21, 1997 November 28, 1997
Hexen Raven Software
Software Creations
id Software/GT InteractiveNA/PAL
GamebankJP
Action/First-Person Shooter 1997-05-31NA December 18, 1997 May 31, 1997 June 24, 1997
Star Fox 64
Lylat WarsPAL
Nintendo EAD Nintendo Action/3D Rail Shooter 1997-04-27JP April 27, 1997 June 30, 1997 October 4, 1997
Dark Rift
Space DynamitesJP
Kronos Digital Entertainment Vic Tokai Action/Fighting 1997-07-10NA March 27, 1998 July 10, 1997 July 20, 1997
International Superstar Soccer 64
Jikkyō J-League Perfect StrikerJP
KCEO Konami Sports/Soccer 1996-12-20JP December 20, 1996 July 31, 1997 June 1, 1997
Tetrisphere H2O Entertainment Nintendo Puzzle/Stacking 1997-08-11NA Unreleased August 11, 1997 February 1998
GoldenEye 007 Rare Nintendo Action/First-Person Shooter 1997-08-23JP August 23, 1997 August 25, 1997 August 25, 1997
MRC: Multi-Racing Championship
Multi-Racing ChampionshipJP
Genki ImagineerJP
Ocean SoftwareNA/PAL
Racing/Automobile 1997-07-18JP July 18, 1997 August 31, 1997 October 1997
Extreme-G Probe Entertainment Acclaim EntertainmentNA/PAL
Acclaim JapanJP
Racing/Futuristic 1997-09-30NA May 29, 1998 September 30, 1997 December 9, 1997
F1 Pole Position 64
Human Grand Prix: The New GenerationJP
Human Entertainment Human EntertainmentJP
Ubi SoftNA/PAL
Racing/Grand Prix 1997-03-28JP March 28, 1997 September 30, 1997 October 1, 1997

Dark Rift is the first (non-sports*) game I don't remember buying. The n64/playstation was the first generation of systems that existed while I had a "real" job so I bought a ton of games for both.

*I did buy Wayne Gretzky hockey though.

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Is Nintendo not doing what you're suggesting? Each time they had put out an old game via Virtual Console, it was the best version of that game. And now with NSO, they're even better with more functionality and options. And don't forget, the subscription isn't just to play old games you've played before. It's for stuff like Cloud Saves and special offers and bonuses like new DLC being "free" as part of the package deal. Plus some other stuff, I think. It's pretty good. 

19 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

I think part of the issue is Nintendo has talked in the past about always trying to "move forward" as it were, and by continuing to support old titles, it feels they're going backwards. Not to mention if they cannot figure out something "new and exciting" to add for an existing franchise, they won't do it. Case in point, F-Zero. After F-Zero GX, Nintendo thought that was the end practically. Even Miyamoto himself said something along the lines of, "...didn't we do that already?" In his mind's eye, if they can't do something different, or new for a franchise, they won't bother because they don't want to rehash what has already been done before.

I sort of get that, but on the other hand, it leaves a lot on the table in terms of support. "Oh, you want to play that old game again? Why? Why not play this new game we have instead? It's new, and exciting!"

But if that were truly the case, why bother re-releasing their old titles via Virtual Console, or more recently, NSO? Answer: Nintendo knows that their fans do care, but instead of doing it in a way that would make sense for most people, they must do it their own boneheaded way. Take a look most recently with the Switch update that FINALLY adds folders...except the folders are not on the front page, and you must enter a different sub menu, and then open it up from there. Despite that they're perfectly capable of making folders for their OS as the Wii U, and 3DS have shown, nope. They have to be "different."

Sometimes it takes a while for options like folders to show up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PS5 doesn't have folders yet. Despite that being an option on PS4. It's just how it is. I'm not sure WHY because it doesn't make any sense, but whatever. 

As for the F-Zero thing, Miyamoto had felt that the series was being run into the ground and being over-saturated. Remember, F-Zero GX was not the last F-Zero game they made. There were two more after it, on GBA. Allegedly, the decision was made to put the series on hold to...I dunno, "let it breathe" or something. And they haven't given up on the franchise...from what I was told, Nintendo was actually in talks to have a new F-Zero be a launch title for the Wii U...with Criterion as the developer. But the companies either ran out of time or had other commitments so the deal fell through. Hopefully we can get a new entry in the series soon. The F-Zero tracks in Mario Kart 8 DX are fun, but that's no substitute for the real thing!

17 hours ago, ort said:

Nintendo had a launch with a legendary game, but then it was as bare as a desert for like a year. I remember a time about a year or two into the existence of the N64 where I owned literally every single (non-sports) title available for purchase. It was like 10 games.

If I remember right the N64 launched with 2 games. Mario 64 and Pilotwings.

Yes, you are correct. The N64 had two games at launch and then had a slow trickle of games released for the rest of its life.

I said the N64 had a more successful launch than the Playstation's, because the machine itself sold more and much faster at launch. Despite it having so few games at launch. 

On 3/25/2022 at 8:16 AM, CastletonSnob said:

PlayStation-launch.jpg

“Matters” in what context?? It is irrelevant to the conversation that was being had. 

It was like two dudes having a debate about whether or not the NWO made a big splash when they jumped into the spotlight and then one guy is like “yeah well hulk hogan ended up having some problematic opinions though.”