Live A Live - Coming to Playstation and Steam April 27 - Demo Available Now

Keyser_Soze

The RPG game LIVE A LIVE makes its worldwide debut in HD-2D on Nintendo Switch™!

Previously unreleased outside of Japan, the RPG game LIVE A LIVE is releasing on the Nintendo Switch system in the HD-2D style!

Seven different stories featuring different protagonists, time periods, and gameplay styles await. In The Wild West, a wanderer with a bounty on his head fights for his life. In the Twilight of Edo Japan, a shinobi undertakes a secret mission. Experience these tales in any order you choose—the adventure is yours to control. What other stories will you uncover on the horizon...?

Watch the Japanese trailer for extra HYPE!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Live A Live

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jul 22, 2022)

Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 80% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

CGMagazine - Preston Dozsa - 9 / 10

It’s been 28 years, but Live A Live finally gets its proper dues outside of Japan with an excellent remake.

COGconnected - James Paley - 72 / 100

Although these are fairly bite-sized adventures, each one packs a remarkable punch. Every chapter works to distinguish itself from the rest of the pack, and it shows. While I can’t recommend each story with equal vigor, I am impressed with the total package. Sure, I would prefer fewer chances to soft-lock yourself. I’d also love to leave behind some of the level grinding. But the core gameplay loop is still fun. Between the wild stories, the engaging combat, and the incredible voice acting, Live A Live feels like much more than the sum of its parts. If you’re any kind of fan of classic JRPGs, you owe it to yourself to check out this game.

Cerealkillerz - Julian Bieder - German - 8.6 / 10

The 2022 iteration of Live A Live shows how remakes for games from the early 90's should be done: a fresh coat of paint, a few quality of life improvments and Live A Live looks like a brand-new title that plays just as well. The story was, with a few minor drawbacks, so great that it still amazes today. It i is a love letter to old school RPGs and a recommendation for everybody who likes them.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

Live A Live is an incredibly unique and endearing adventure, with multiple engaging storylines and strong combat throughout. Some of its ideas are so forward-thinking and intriguing that it’s almost shocking that this was originally released almost 30 years ago. While it maintains some weird quirks reminiscent of the SNES era that it came from and the pacing can be a bit strange from chapter to chapter, the beautiful visuals and catchy soundtrack propel Live A Live into the modern era and gives everybody the opportunity to experience a classic RPG that has a whole lot of heart. I’m incredibly grateful I’ve had the opportunity to play it, and am left dreaming about what other hidden gems just like it might be waiting to be unlocked and shared with the world.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Live A Live transcends decades given its age but the new visuals make it feel like an entirely new video game worth playing - especially for JRPG fans.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Digital Trends - George Yang - 3.5 / 5

Live A Live is a high-effort remake from the presentation side, though the base game remains an uneven RPG experience.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 5 / 5

I realise this is a pretty short review by my standards for the JRPG genre, but there really isn’t much else to say about Live A Live; this is a quirky and fundamentally experimental JRPG that in many ways remains out there on its own. The chapter-based approach to simple (but enjoyable) narratives that take place across time and space allows for an experience that is both varied and flexible. Throw in the most excellent application of HD-2D art for the remake, and the fact that this is the first time this game has had a formal release in the west, and Live A Live is an essential experimental title for the curious and those that enjoy playing things that are genuinely different.

Eurogamer - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell - Recommended

While component tales and battles can be hit-and-miss, this elderly Squaresoft anthology is a wonderful testament to its genre's flexibility and range.

Game Informer - Andrew Reiner - 9 / 10

We’ll never know how Live A Live would have fared in the U.S. back in the day. Flash forward nearly three decades, and I can’t recommend this revitalized relic enough. It’s that good. This is another must-play Switch RPG that entertains in ways I didn’t expect and kept me glued to the screen for well over 20 hours.

GameSpot - Heidi Kemps - 8 / 10

Live A Live is a beautiful remake of an overlooked classic that should not be missed by JRPG fans.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 8 / 10

LIVE A LIVE is a great adventure that still holds up 28 years later. With its 8 very different stories, the game delivers a wide variety of still very original gameplay. Despite offering 2 or 3 scenarios that aren't as interesting as the others, it makes up with a well-balanced rhythm of story and gameplay. In the end, it's relatively short compared to other Tactical RPGs which, in my opinion, make the genre more accessible to newcomers.

Glitched Africa - 8.5 / 10

My biggest takeaway from Live A Live is how remarkable it is considering it is a game from 1994. Sure, a lot of the fancy finishes come from the “remake” aspect here but the general package has remained the same. It goes to show that Square Enix has always been master RPG makers and Live A Live is a testament to that.

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 7 / 10

Live A Live is a neat little curio that warrants a look, but there's a huge variety in not just story, but the quality of the action as well.

Hobby Consolas - Alberto Lloret - Spanish - 80 / 100

‎Live a Live does not fit into any canon. Although it's an RPG, it's not like others you've tried. Its short stories, in different eras, make each of its 9 chapters like a separate game. Too bad they are short and don't go too deep. But if you expect something with the classic ninth flavor, here you will find it. And very beautiful.‎

IGN - Rebekah Valentine - 9 / 10

Live A Live is a fascinating JRPG time machine that's getting its dues at last thanks to a remake that brings out the best in its seven stories, strong combat, and unusual structure.

IGN Italy - Andrea Giongiani - Italian - 8.7 / 10

A thirty years old JRPG that manages to appear younger and have fresher ideas of many contemporary games. A true gem that would be a shame not to play.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 7 / 10

The 1994 original has some unfortunate flaws, that this remake doesn't try to fix, but in terms of graphics, soundtrack, and sheer invention this is one of the best Japanese role-players of any era.

NintendoWorldReport - Jordan Rudek - 7 / 10

It's enjoyable, quirky, awkward, and frustrating: sometimes the price of being unique is alienation. If it was Live A Live that allowed Takashi Tokita and his work on Chrono Trigger to soar, then of course it was worth it. In this present day chapter, for my money, I'm looking ahead to the next Square remake.

PCMag - Gabriel Zamora - 3.5 / 5

Live A Live delivers a gem of a JRPG from a lost generation. It's a nostalgic blast from the past with enough modern innovations to keep the experience fresh and engaging.

Polygon - Chris Karnadi - Unscored

But most importantly, Live A Live feels biblical in its attempt to tie all of human history into one narrative. But as much as Live A Live admirably tries to tell a story as vast as any game has ever told, time and time again, its characters are too flimsy to hold the weight.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8 / 10

Live A Live leverages a fantastic visual overhaul with an already compelling and inventive narrative structure to offer an RPG experience like no other. It's aging for sure – the slower nature of the turn-based battles and some strange logic to get the story moving – but it's such a unique experience that any RPG fan owes it to themselves to try.

RPG Site - Paige Chamberlain - 8 / 10

Although it is more than 25 years old, Live A Live delights with charming narratives, solid gameplay, and a well-remastered presentation.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 8 / 10

Live A Live is fascinating for JRPG fans of all varieties. For those who grew up in the 16-bit gaming era, it's a time capsule into a bygone age of video games. For those who just want a good JRPG, this is that, too. For those who want a collection of different stories, each with their own characters, aesthetic, and vision, Live A Live serves that function well. Finally, North American audiences will get a chance to experience this game that feels truly timeless.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Live A Live is short and sweet, a surprisingly modern twist on JRPGs that Square and Nintendo luckily decided to bring back from the dead. it won't probably win any award for its narrative and surely there are far more vast and deep JRPGs out there, but this is nonetheless a very good choice for japanese role playing games lovers.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Live A Live tries to do many things, but not all of them live up to the same standard. The overall narrative is satisfying, but the stylistic discrepancy between its various adventures, combined with a certain underlying simplicity, makes the game a short adventure lacking depth, but admittedly exciting when it gets into the right gear.

The Independent - Jasper Pickering - 8 / 10

Live a Live feels like a natural fit within Square Enix’s focus on bringing older titles to newer audiences. As the blueprint for other potential titles to come, it’s clear why the 1994 SNES title was chosen as the first remaster to receive the “HD-2D” treatment.

Even with a shallow learning curve, there’s plenty to enjoy in this unique omnibus. Fans of classic JRPGs won’t want to miss this reimagining with plenty to enjoy for newcomers to role-playing games.

TheSixthAxis - Reuben Mount - 9 / 10

Live A Live is hands down one of the most interesting games I've experienced in a while. A neat little package made up of completely disparate elements, it shouldn't work but it does. Add in some truly clever gameplay mechanics, the gorgeous HD-2D visuals and phenomenal soundtrack, and you have a game I would urge any JRPG fan to play.

Twinfinite - Rebecca Stone - 4.5 / 5

I implore anyone who enjoyed JRPGs of the 90s, especially the ones by Square itself, to give Live A Live a try. It’s filled to the brim with variety, humor, and interesting narratives. It may not be perfect or surpass your childhood favorites, but fans of the genre will find a place in their hearts for it nonetheless.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - 4 / 5

I want to be clear. These caveats and other elements of the game combine to mean that, no, Live A Live isn’t quite as good as either Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger. Even with that said, however, it does feel like it belongs alongside them. It feels monumentally important, wonderfully clever, and full of a gleeful energy that’ll make the heart of any old-school RPG fan swell. Top marks on this website doesn’t mean it’s a perfect game; it just means we recommend playing it absolutely unreservedly – and such is the case here.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 8.1 / 10

LIVE A LIVE kept me excited for what the next chapter would entail with each one boasting unique characters, settings, and gameplay so it's a perfect game for anyone who relishes variety. I just wish each chapter was fleshed out with more depth and unique elements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Live A Live - Coming to Playstation and Steam April 27 - Demo Available Now

Why did no one tell me this game went so hard? I had always intended to play it but was waiting for a PC port. I tried the Switch version briefly as the caveman boy but it came off as a bit... simple?

Tried the cowboy this time around for the demo and the game don't fuck around.

bJnfj6s.jpg

Suckin' titties and boppin' ditties!

• Haha 1

So I booted up Ye Olde Fan Translation just to see what differences there were (from the tiny part the demo lets you play) and it seems quite faithful, actually...

I think the biggest/funniest difference from me is the horse riding animation.

The remake has this majestic high quality sprite that's well animated:

giphy.gif

Then the original is almost comically bad :lol:

giphy.gif

I thought the emulator was playing it back screwy or something so I tried it on my SNES and nope, those horse legs just jitter at mach speed!