An eye for an eye doesn’t leave the whole world blind

stepee

Person A attacks you 

In revenge you take an eye

In revenge they take an eye

In revenge you take the other eye

In revenge they take your other eye

I hate the can't have your cake and eat it too. The whole point is to eat the cake. Having the cake and not eating it is no different than have no cake at all. 

23 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Person A attacks you 

In revenge you take an eye

In revenge they take an eye

In revenge you take the other eye

In revenge they take your other eye

I hate the can't have your cake and eat it too. The whole point is to eat the cake. Having the cake and not eating it is no different than have no cake at all. 

no that’s not how it works after the second person got his first eye taken they are even because they both had one eye taken so it’s done. it’s not “two eyes for an eye” which is what the person who originally took the eye would be doing when he went to revenge the revenge.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

no that’s not how it works after the second person got his first eye taken they are even because they both had one eye taken so it’s done. it’s not “two eyes for an eye” which is what the person who originally took the eye would be doing when he went to revenge the revenge.

You aren't taking two eyes for 1 eye tho. You only too one eye. They only took one eye. You didn't let it go and took another eye and  same for them. They didn't take 1 eye  and you took two in return. You only took one in return 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You aren't taking two eyes for 1 eye tho. You only too one eye. They only took one eye. You didn't let it go and took another eye and  same for them. They didn't take 1 eye  and you took two in return. You only took one in return 

I think the person who originally stole the eye is just being unreasonable at that point. They should lock him up or something if he doesn’t want to even attempt participating in society.

The deal was an eye for an eye, he doesn’t get to add on. It’s not a new deal when his eye gets taken.

48 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No, that point of that one is that if you eat your cake, you no longer have it. So you can't both have and eat a cake. You either have it, or you eat it. (Notwithstanding taking a bite or some other pedantic shit.)

Now, this is obvious, but it just means you can't make two choices that conflict with each other. You can fuck donkeys in front of the police station, or you can enjoy freedom, but you can't do both!

I think the cake phrase itself might've been used on kids at one point. Like young toddlers who don't understand why they no longer have a cake after they ate it. Or if you have a really nice looking cake so you half don't want to eat it. I dunno man I ain't no word scientist.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

No, that point of that one is that if you eat your cake, you no longer have it. So you can't both have and eat a cake. You either have it, or you eat it. (Notwithstanding taking a bite or some other pedantic shit.)

Now, this is obvious, but it just means you can't make two choices that conflict with each other. You can fuck donkeys in front of the police station, or you can enjoy freedom, but you can't do both!

I think the cake phrase itself might've been used on kids at one point. Like young toddlers who don't understand why they no longer have a cake after they ate it. Or if you have a really nice looking cake so you half don't want to eat it. I dunno man I ain't no word scientist.

I know that what it means but it doesn't make sense because of the use of cake. At that point you don't actually have two choices to chose from. There is only one option and that is to eat the cake. Cuz if you don't eat the cake then you never had it. Again, it is because of the use of food. If anything it works better with money. There is still value in having money over spending. There is no reason to have a cake and not eat it. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I know that what it means but it doesn't make sense because of the use of cake. At that point you don't actually have two choices to chose from. There is only one option and that is to eat the cake. Cuz if you don't eat the cake then you never had it. Again, it is because of the use of food. If anything it works better with money. There is still value in having money over spending. There is no reason to have a cake and not eat it. 

I've had plenty of cakes I didn't eat! Most of them I give to someone else and sometimes I forget I have them and they go bad! :celebrate:

58 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah the cake one isn’t great what if we made it like “Can’t have the burger and the cow” because there you have that choice to kill the cow or not before it becomes a burger thus solving the problem that the cake is already a cake with no other use.

45 minutes ago, stepee said:

For the eye one I like it better if we just did “a tongue for a tongue leaves the whole world mute” since u only have one of those.

Actually better. BUT! The issue is they sound MORE stupid when you AREN'T thinking about it. Doesn't matter if it is less stupid. If it sounds more stupid it won't stick. 

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Actually better. BUT! The issue is they sound MORE stupid when you AREN'T thinking about it. Doesn't matter if it is less stupid. If it sounds more stupid it won't stick. 

idk man I think I’m going to start trying out the burger and cow one

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

idk man I think I’m going to start trying out the burger and cow one

Yeah, but how often can you really say that? Force it too much and people are gonna tell the guy who keeps spouting made up proverbs to fuck off. 

• Haha 1

I've often thought about the foolishness of many a saying or proverb. I once considered making a website (this was the 90s mind you) called "We'sdumb" where a great collection of these curious platitudes could be properly appreciated by our visiting alien friends. Like most of my half ass ideas, I've done nothing with it since. :sun:

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I've often thought about the foolishness of many a saying or proverb. I once considered making a website (this was the 90s mind you) called "We'sdumb" where a great collection of these curious platitudes could be properly appreciated by our visiting alien friends. Like most of my half ass ideas, I've done nothing with it since. :sun:

Were you planning to host it on Angelfire or Geocities?

• Haha 1

The "Even Hasetiyya", foundation stone, or "the Family" as Pastor Jack Hickman would call it. Yup, the whole thing started as a Lutheran Church on Long Island, run by Pastor Jack. Here is an article I found sighting the dissolving of that church once it came to light that old Jack had first gone Jews for Jesus and then on to something much weirder... 

defaultPromoCrop.png?year=1978
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

follow-up on Jan 6 incident in which NYCTA officers arrested Robert Tode for allegedly smoking on subway station and 4 bystanders and former Manhattan Boro Pres Percy E Sutton intervened in his behalf; notes Tode pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to time served in Bellvue Hosp prison ward (4 days); 2 arresting officers were cleared by TA police of brutality and Officer Anthony Taliercio, who allegedly ordered Sutton to 'shut up,'...

Its below the Robert Tode stuff. Anyway, My folks joined this wack job's church as Lutherans prior to my birth but were full on secret culting it by the time I was born in 1976. There were secret midnight meetings, a palatial estate on the island, guard dogs, and guard humans! Grown men had to get circumcised and convert to an ultra orthodox version of Judaism. People were beat and two people "ascended", which I believe is cult for were killed quietly.  I was raised to read in hebrew until 3rd grade when the cult had to leave the island. It moved to cheap wooded lands in the Poconos in 1986 and then moved again to Maine in the late 90s. Jack was a classic con man cult leader and eventually ditched his congregation and moved to a new compound in Colorado. Of Course they kept sending him money, because god is always broke and on the verge of ending or renewing the world. Good times! 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The "Even Hasetiyya", foundation stone, or "the Family" as Pastor Jack Hickman would call it. Yup, the whole thing started as a Lutheran Church on Long Island, run by Pastor Jack. Here is an article I found sighting the dissolving of that church once it came to light that old Jack had first gone Jews for Jesus and then on to something much weirder...

I went to a Lutheran school in first grade. Were we part of the same cult? My brother? :hug:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rachel said:

My fiancé and I watch a lot of cult stuff. Last night we were watching something he was like “funny how god always needs money, why is he so broke?”

Anyway that’s wild I’m curious to learn more about this group. I knew you had been through some shit in life but I didn’t know the specifics. I hope overcoming the inevitable trauma and psychological fuckery from enduring such a situation wasn’t *too* terrible for you.   

Its all experience and perspective, right? The species is weird as a whole and being born into one society and then becoming an American while having always been one was a truly odd experience. Catching up on decades of music was different. Learning top read left to right when I started reading right to left was also difficult. Having my Dad suggest that he could not protect me if I left the cult was also eye opening. But, I had three older brothers and two younger sisters so compared to some of them I came out OK. The oldest is in prison until he is 65 because touching kids is bad y'all. The second oldest committed suicide on my mom's birthday. Clearly NOT a sign of his feelings on the matter. The brother just above me is a 100% materialist, business & money is everything kind of guy, which is, I think, his way of fighting back against anything spiritual. He is strictly empirical and very surface oriented. I think its like a person who almost drowned choosing to live in the desert. Thew sister below me is ALL AMERICAN. Sports! Social Media! Anything new and flashy! And the youngest, well she is either bright and funny or a TOTAL Paranoid day to day, and you never know which day you're having with her until its too late. So I try to keep it steady, love my immediate family and put some good into the world. I tell people who know my family that I think of it like flying in a formation of jets and watching my brothers and sisters hit and explode on the canyon walls to my left and right so I try to fly real straight and remember that I'm absolutely no body and I'm just lucky to be alive and have people I love.  

Edit: And your boyfriend is 100% correct, God is broke and the down trodden and ignorant are his welfare! :lol:

• Thanks 1