New old music

DPCyric

I love it when I "discover" an old band that is totally my jam. Currently it's Gong, last year it was Pure Reason Revolution (and "Eupnea" probably would have been my album of the year if I had heard it before I made my list) and Shpongle. What bands have you found late into their career that really did it for you?

In my youth I was punk through and through. My dad listened to a lot of proto metal but most of metal experience was terrible NWOBHM shit. About mid 90's I became friends with a metal head that introduced me to so much

It was punk but less politics up front and darker themes 

A few years later a girl I knew from around the way with introduced me to slower  bands like 

I still have a man crush on Pete all these years

Some how I got a copy of Agalloch The Mantle and just fell head over heals with them 

I could go on for hours about this topic, I spend about 10-15 hours a week going thru new bands to "discover"

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think I may or may not heard of this band before but ended up stumbling on Leprous and think they're pretty nifty. They even have a new album this year but I started from listening to their earlier albums first.

I am pretty sure @GeneticBlueprint has listed them in his top 10 albums of the year before. I've heard their newer stuff and wasn't really into it but I'm kinda feelin this. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

I could go on for hours about this topic, I spend about 10-15 hours a week going thru new bands to "discover"

I think the idea behind this thread is in the past few years which established bands have you just discovered. There's no way you've never heard any of those bands until now. :p

I had it in my head that Pentagram was one of the big old school doom metal bands, so it was a fucking trip when I went to see them at American University back in like 2014 and it was literally in the AU student center. I went in thinking it was going to be in a proper performance space that happened to be on campus. But nope student center and some amateur hour audio mixing, you could see Bobby Liebling blatantly gesturing at the sound guy to turn his mic at the start of the first song and it got better but the vocals were a little muted the whole time. I guess it was their comeback thing because Liebling was finally sober enough from heroin to tour again.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

OP never stated it had to be recent 

But before that he mentioned the past two years what he discovered. In any case that's what I took from the thread.

It certainly would make the topic more interesting. I mean it's pretty easy to sit back and say, "When I was 8 years old I discovered this band called the Beatles" but it's more interesting to say, "In 2021 I discovered The Beatles."

@DPCyric clarify.

It's hard to think of specific examples, but for some reason sometime around 2010-2011 or so I kind of just... stopped listening to music. Not completely, but I just kind of stopped seeking out new things and didn't really think about it anymore.

The pandemic kind of jump started my interest in music again. I've been "discovering" all kinds of stuff. My favorite is probably Architects. They were kind of starting to get big when I stopped listening to music, so I was aware of who they were, but never really listened to them. Bring Me the Horizon is another one that was blowing up about 10 years ago, but at the time they played crappy deathcore garbage (not all deathcore is garbage, I just think early BMTH kinda is), so I never really paid attention. Fast forward 10 years and they are now one of my favorite bands, mainly because they don't give a fuck and play whatever they want. Crystal Lake is another one.

Meshuggah was another one that I was aware of, but never really listened to. Sabaton is another - it's become a life goal of mine to see a Sabaton show in Europe.

So yeah, in a way, over the last year and a half, most music is new to me. I also fully embrace that I like pop music now. Post Malone and Billie Eilish are really good and I don't care who knows it. I also like Yungblud. Sue me.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But before that he mentioned the past two years what he discovered. In any case that's what I took from the thread.

It certainly would make the topic more interesting. I mean it's pretty easy to sit back and say, "When I was 8 years old I discovered this band called the Beatles" but it's more interesting to say, "In 2021 I discovered The Beatles."

@DPCyric clarify.

I think anything after you become an adult and already have your musical preferences sorted is a good starting point... however if someone 8 years old discovered the Beatles now and liked them that would be kinda shocking!

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's hard to think of specific examples, but for some reason sometime around 2010-2011 or so I kind of just... stopped listening to music. Not completely, but I just kind of stopped seeking out new things and didn't really think about it anymore.

The pandemic kind of jump started my interest in music again. I've been "discovering" all kinds of stuff. My favorite is probably Architects. They were kind of starting to get big when I stopped listening to music, so I was aware of who they were, but never really listened to them. Bring Me the Horizon is another one that was blowing up about 10 years ago, but at the time they played crappy deathcore garbage (not all deathcore is garbage, I just think early BMTH kinda is), so I never really paid attention. Fast forward 10 years and they are now one of my favorite bands, mainly because they don't give a fuck and play whatever they want. Crystal Lake is another one.

Meshuggah was another one that I was aware of, but never really listened to. Sabaton is another - it's become a life goal of mine to see a Sabaton show in Europe.

So yeah, in a way, over the last year and a half, most music is new to me. I also fully embrace that I like pop music now. Post Malone and Billie Eilish are really good and I don't care who knows it. I also like Yungblud. Sue me.

I've always found it funny people who dismissed pop because they are "edgy?"... I've hung out with many artists in the Industrial scene who respect a good pop artist.

5 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I've always found it funny people who dismissed pop because they are "edgy?"... I've hung out with many artists in the Industrial scene who respect a good pop artist.

There are a lot of people, especially in metal and metal-adjacent circles, who dismiss any music that isn't technically impressive. I think songwriting is just as impressive a skill as being able to wank out a guitar solo or play a riff with hybrid picking or whatever. A lot of people are fantastic musicians in a technical sense, but are absolute dogshit songwriters. Pop music tends to skew the oppsosite. The people writing those songs are really, really good at writing songs.

To put it into perspective, George Harrison was far and away the best musician in the Beatles, he was also by far the worst songwriter. John Lennon was the opposite. He was honestly a pretty crappy musician, but he could write a fucking hook.

And I don't care if the credits on a popular pop song read like the credits of a Ubisoft game. A lot of people, again mostly in metal and metal-adjacent circles, have a stick up their ass about musical "integrity." Too many vocal layers? Cheating. Downshifted guitars in post? Cheating. Autotune? Cheating. The producer wrote your chorus? Cheating. Music isn't a sport, it's art. Do whatever the fuck you want.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"When I was 8 years old I discovered this band called the Beatles" but it's more interesting to say, "In 2021 I discovered The Beatles."

Yea cause being 8 years old and being 18 is the same thing .Not sure why you decided to get all weird about this topic

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Who's talking about being 18? I'm not being weird I'm just going with what I perceived the topic to be. It was a misunderstanding.

I was just busting balls man. Don't be a 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Weirdo

• True 1

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There are a lot of people, especially in metal and metal-adjacent circles, who dismiss any music that isn't technically impressive. I think songwriting is just as impressive a skill as being able to wank out a guitar solo or play a riff with hybrid picking or whatever. A lot of people are fantastic musicians in a technical sense, but are absolute dogshit songwriters. Pop music tends to skew the oppsosite. The people writing those songs are really, really good at writing songs.

I don't think this is as much of a thing as you think it is. I mean @Keyser_Soze likes plenty of awful music. He also likes some good stuff.

To put it into perspective, George Harrison was far and away the best musician in the Beatles, he was also by far the worst songwriter. John Lennon was the opposite. He was honestly a pretty crappy musician, but he could write a fucking hook. 

The best is when you get both elements: great songwriting and virtuosity.

And I don't care if the credits on a popular pop song read like the credits of a Ubisoft game. A lot of people, again mostly in metal and metal-adjacent circles, have a stick up their ass about musical "integrity." Too many vocal layers? Cheating. Downshifted guitars in post? Cheating. Autotune? Cheating. The producer wrote your chorus? Cheating. Music isn't a sport, it's art. Do whatever the fuck you want.

That's an extreme oversimplification. I mean I deal mostly in metal circles when it comes to music but I've never heard anybody complain about the number of songwriters or session musicians or engineers or whatever.

Producer writing your music? Well it's not cheating but it's funny when somebody else gets the credit for the primary creative part in a creative process. It doesn't really matter though.

Autotune is cheating? Everybody uses autotune to some degree in the studio to correct pitch. The problem is when it becomes the feature. It makes everything quiteter, especially in harmonies, because there are no clashing frequencies and it just sounds exactly like what it is.

Downtunend guitars are cheating? I don't know how many metalheads you actually talk to but like 99% of metal bands don't use guitars that are standard tuned so that's the weirdest one on your list. Hell, the first metal band downtuned their guitar.

• Shocked 1

@GeneticBlueprint Not downtuned, but downshifted with a plug in after recording or whatever, so you can get those heavy drop-F notes without having to have a baritone guitar or a 7 string or whatever. Like a normal guitar with standard strings is gonna sound like doodoo butter if you try to tune to drop A#.

Maybe I've been to different corners of the internet and such than you, but metalheads tend to be the most gatekeeping crusty old fucks out there.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

@GeneticBlueprint Not downtuned, but downshifted with a plug in after recording or whatever, so you can get those heavy drop-F notes without having to have a baritone guitar or a 7 string or whatever. Like a normal guitar with standard strings is gonna sound like doodoo butter if you try to tune to drop A#.

Maybe I've been to different corners of the internet and such than you, but metalheads tend to be the most gatekeeping crusty old fucks out there.

I see what you're saying. But I'm going to have to disagree still. Vehemently, actually. LMAO. I would rather, a million times, listen to something tuned down to drop Fuck flat on a mandolin scaled piece of shit than ever listen to something pitch shifted afterwards that's full of digital or analog artifcacting. A million times. Especially if that's downwards when said artifacting will be exponentially more apparent apparent the further down you go. That will always, 100% of the time sound worse than something not on a larger scale instrument that's been tuned down.

I will agree that some older metal heads, probably some my age too--and hell even myself--are gatekeepers. But I think that correlates to age. The older you are the more gatekeep-y you are.

I'm gonna go listen to Gatecreeper now.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Dillinger Escape Plan literally the month they played their last shows. Only to discover they are probably my top 5 bands now. 

Slayer when Relentless came out. I almost saw them live but couldn't due to an emergency and missed out on ever seeing them. 

I was supposed to see the Big Four concert with a friend but wound up not making it at all when the concert got delayed over IIRC one of the Slayer guys throwing out their back. :(

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I will agree that some older metal heads, probably some my age too--and hell even myself--are gatekeepers. But I think that correlates to age. The older you are the more gatekeep-y you are..

I'm not so sure about that I know a lot of older metal heads that are way more open to music than newer ones. I'm 41 now and ready for the next Babymetal/Poppy/Igorrr.

I updated my initial post with some MV's for the bands I listed.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:36 AM, Jason said:

I had it in my head that Pentagram was one of the big old school doom metal bands, so it was a fucking trip when I went to see them at American University back in like 2014 and it was literally in the AU student center. I went in thinking it was going to be in a proper performance space that happened to be on campus. But nope student center and some amateur hour audio mixing, you could see Bobby Liebling blatantly gesturing at the sound guy to turn his mic at the start of the first song and it got better but the vocals were a little muted the whole time. I guess it was their comeback thing because Liebling was finally sober enough from heroin to tour again.

I saw Pentagram in 2011 at a small club in Queens and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of footage of some of their later gigs, all of which are kind of so-so, so I wasn't expecting that much really and they completely blew everyone the fuck away. This was with Victor Griffin and Joe Hasselvander on drums, so almost the complete Relentless lineup. People went totally crazy, one of the most fun Metal shows I've been to. 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:19 AM, SimpleG said:

In my youth I was punk through and through. My dad listened to a lot of proto metal but most of metal experience was terrible NWOBHM shit. About mid 90's I became friends with a metal head that introduced me to so much

These were staples since my early teens. Only other metal kids around were older than me so they immediately gave me the 'check this out instead' education. Especially Morbid Tales and also Apocalyptic Raids by Hellhammer were fucking HUGE for me. I always loved how Tom Warrior sounds like he has this massive weight on his shoulders or something, shit is so heavy. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 12:46 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I think I may or may not heard of this band before but ended up stumbling on Leprous and think they're pretty nifty. They even have a new album this year but I started from listening to their earlier albums first.

I have seen a lot of love for Leprous from various people who's music preferences are similar to mine but I couldn't get into them. However their newest album totally does it for me!