Riptide cancels Project+ Smash Tournament

SimpleG

Nintendo cracks down on modded shit hard. You are not allowed to show them up. They hate what Melee became as well. I'd bet that if they could get away with it they'd ban SSBU tournaments as well because they hate grown men taking their kid's party game seriously. 

5 hours ago, Raggit said:

Obviously a joke but somewhat relevant. Comments are also funny. Although it's kind of sad that some people would believe picture + text without question because it's dramatic...

I'd say it's more so scary than it is sad.  This is a daily occurrence on Facebook where an image with some text affixed to it gets shared a million times over if it aligns with a users political ideology.

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sure but they are doing everyone else a favor, saving everyone from having to watch Pro Smash.

Yeah we'd all rather watch other pro fighting games, where the players all use the same combos over and over and over and over and over again. Exciting! 

I'll burn your yurt down. 

8 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Don’t blame Nintendo for wanting to stop these events from happening since it seems to be a breeding ground for sexual predators

They’re okay with attaching their name to a community fraught with child abuse, but those dirty modders are a step too far.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Expecting “balance” from a Smash Bros game is a fundamentally flawed perspective to begin with, it’s always very obviously not been the point.

Good balance has never hurt game design though.  You can't really blame people for wanting balance changes in a game they play a shit ton.

Regardless, it was part of the aim of Project M/+.  Which also happens to be a better Smash game than any official Nintendo release, arguably.  It certainly feels the best to play.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Good balance has never hurt game design though.  You can't really blame people for wanting balance changes in a game they play a shit ton.

And regardless, it was part of the aim of Project M/+.  Which also so happens to (arguably) be a better Smash game than any official Nintendo release.  It certainly feels the best to play.

Oh I’m in favor of modding in general, so I have no issue with people going ahead and doing it. Balancing Smash Bros specifically seems like a fool’s errand given that balance is anathema to what Smash Bros. is about.

But I’m a heathen who thinks that stock battles and eliminating items should be patched out of the games as options so maybe don’t listen to me.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Oh I’m in favor of modding in general, so I have no issue with people going ahead and doing it. Balancing Smash Bros specifically seems like a fool’s errand given that balance is anathema to what Smash Bros. is about.

But I’m a heathen who thinks that stock battles and eliminating items should be patched out of the games as options so maybe don’t listen to me.

Sounds like you already have strong opinions on the game being something it's not.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Smash is already one of the most customizable games out there right now so the idea of modding it seem a bit crazy to me. Smash is basically whatever you want it to be. 

It's the control discrepancies between games that led people to think some entries screw up the fundamentals.  In some cases there are things objectively worse, such as the input lag.

I dropped Ultimate after a week because of it.  I really would want modders to get in there and fix it.  Even if it means I'd have to emulate it to play the game I bought.

There's also the issue of the netcode.  Someday I expect Ultimate will get its own hacky rollback solution like Slippi. Just not from Nintendo themselves.