I called Comcast to see if I could upgrade my router to a wifi6 one for free and those fuckers…

stepee

increased my speed 3x from 400mbps to 1200 mbps and lowered my cost $55 from $135 to $80, and yeah gave me the free wifi6 router upgrade. What the fuck just happened. Guess comcast can see that they are finally going to have competition huh?

Part or the savings was because the only way I could even get 400mbps was to have some shitty streaming tv bundle and then pay all those fees, now they let me get internet only. But still, damn, I never had such a positive billing change before.

Also I guess call Comcast about plan options if you have them and haven’t in awhile.

• Shocked 1

• stepee changed the title to I called Comcast to see if I could upgrade my router to a wifi6 one for free and those fuckers…
2 minutes ago, Ominous said:

What's that upload speed? 

It looks like it’s double what it was before 20 to 40, which actually is also the first opportunity to even have that at least a little better. Still no option here even if you want to pay for more upload speed, I don’t get it.

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Always glad to have fiber when I see upload speeds like that 

Yeah, it’s shitty, you’d think we would have more options in the bay area but Comcast has been so dominant here. I’m hoping since they are threatened now by wireless tech, upload speed will improve, all they have to do is just allow it. I mean, give me the option to increase it at least, with how much my bill is cut down let me pay another $20 for reasonable upload and I’d be totally happy.

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean I would definitely choose 1200/40 over 200/200 - what all upload usage do you have where 6 times faster download speed wouldn’t be preferable?

Plex, remote VPN, wireless cloud cameras, automatic cloud backup. 

Gig down and gig up here. 

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

Not related but while I was out I also finally decided to get a nvidia shield pro (nothing to do with the modem switch, will be hard wired) and what the FUCK the remote is a triangle?

Like have they seen how hands hold things?

I use my phone most of the time. 

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

I use my phone most of the time. 

lol that was one of my first thoughts is I might have to do that. Seems pretty cool so far though. Going to get some emulators on it, set up all the streaming stuff, and hope with wired on both ends streaming pc stuff actually works well in my room.

Trying the AI mode on some 90s movies, getting kinda mad now because damnit I’m going to need one to replace the apple tv 4k in my living room as well aren’t I.

You really don’t need much upload speed though, I don’t get why they can’t make it just something reasonable like 100mbps. Like even in a niche case like the plex server, how often are you remote needing to connect to someone else’s nice tv that you actually need more than 25mbps really. There’s probably like 3 dudes out there that matters for. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

It's probably a limited time offer and they will jack up the price after 6 months to a year.

Sorry for being a buzzkill.

That’s the other thing that surprised me! It’s normally 6 months or one year then they say the price goes up. This is two years!!

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

You really don’t need much upload speed though, I don’t get why they can’t make it just something reasonable like 100mbps. Like even in a niche case like the plex server, how often are you remote needing to connect to someone else’s nice tv that you actually need more than 25mbps really. There’s probably like 3 dudes out there that matters for. 

Why have my CPU / GPU transcode when I can stream full 4K or 1080?  One 4K stream could saturate 100 Mbps. 

2 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Why have my CPU / GPU transcode when I can stream full 4K or 1080?  One 4K stream could saturate 100 Mbps. 

Yeah but how often are you outside of your local network needing to receive that quality of a steam? Like people aren’t usually going over to peoples houses and needing to stream a movie from their personal plex collection and have the person whose house you are at happen to have a tv where a 100mbps stream would be worth it.

Just now, stepee said:

Yeah but how often are you outside of your local network needing to receive that quality of a steam? Like people aren’t usually going over to peoples houses and needing to stream a movie from their personal plex collection and have the person whose house you are at happen to have a tv where a 100mbps stream would be worth it.

I have my library shared with over a dozen people. 

My family all have LG OLED TVs too so 🤷

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

I have my library shared with over a dozen people. 

My family all have LG OLED TVs too so 🤷

Ok fine yes for your fantastically 1 in a million niche use case of running a plex server to share your movies with 12 people in super high quality with you all watching movies at the same time frequently enough for an issue to arise, I can see how 1000mbps might be needed.

I’m pretty sure for most people 100mbps would be more than enough so I don’t see why they can’t just set it at that and remove now their biggest flaws.

Not saying you, but some people should also note what I’m saying here is if you have upload use cases such as local streaming, you don’t even need internet service for that. 

I’m just sitting here and thinking of the sheer horror some Friday night in an alternate world where all fiber can only upload 500mbps and five members of the Ominous clan are streaming uncompressed 4k movies to their separate lg oled tv’s and then a sixth relative tries to stream and they all stutter. AHHHHHHHHHH

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Rev I see you, yes I will be testing wifi6 with quest 2 tomorrow :P

Nice. Let me know if you see a big improvement. I have the same plan. I’ve just been too lazy to go pick up the wifi6 router. I read that it didn’t make a huge difference on the Quest 2 but that was several months ago and it might be better now.