Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL 6/28/24 - Yo-Kai Watch event is LIVE!

Bacon

I think ARR has a great story overall. It suffers a bit once you get to the early patches, but once you get into the stuff that leads into HW, it picks back up. ARR does a good job of making you feel like a rising adventurer.

Just now, Bacon said:

I think ARR has a great story overall. It suffers a bit once you get to the early patches, but once you get into the stuff that leads into HW, it picks back up. ARR does a good job of making you feel like a rising adventurer.

So if I buy it now I just get ARR? So do you recommend i get it? I'd play solo. Visuals?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So when I buy FF14 online for $19.99 on psn what product am I getting? There are 3 expansions correct? How do the visuals hold up?

The game looks like a PS3 game. The graphics aren't great, but I like them well enough.

This is bad, don't buy it unless you want to play the free trial content without any restrictions:

259fa3405ce25b51f5696b0648a3e544.png

And all of that shit is included in the free trial:

5c280cc651e5dbe892c042857cb54d25.png

If you are going to pay, you gotta buy the complete edition for 60

5a828fe4c6d85937d5005315a4a65388.png

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The game looks like a PS3 game. The graphics aren't great, but I like them well enough.

This is bad, don't buy it unless you want to play the free trial content without any restrictions:

259fa3405ce25b51f5696b0648a3e544.png

And all of that shit is included in the free trial:

5c280cc651e5dbe892c042857cb54d25.png

If you are going to pay, you gotta buy the complete edition for 60

5a828fe4c6d85937d5005315a4a65388.png

Thank you! I'm downloading the free trial version like you recommended. 

• Halal 1

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL SUMMER 2024 - Coming to Xbox March 21!
1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm trying one last time on my Xbox but they only give you one free trial edition. Not the one @Bacon recommend. 

It's only in beta currently for Xbox and on the 21st you can probably get those editions at that time.

Also if you have game pass you can get the starter pass included as a perk.

On PSN FF14 does some weird shit in the store especially if you've downloaded it in the past. Maybe it's totally unrelated but it's just another reason the PSN Store is annoying to me. Happens with certain other games too... they really struggle with games that have a lot of DLCs or mildly different versions. It'll say "unavailable" but really it just means "you're gonna have to do a bunch of work to figure this out." 

• True 1

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's only in beta currently for Xbox and on the 21st you can probably get those editions at that time.

Also if you have game pass you can get the starter pass included as a perk.

Well unbelievable enough I got the Xbox version working. So what exactly do I have with this beta? 

Also, they throw a ton of information at you in the beginning lol. 

@best3444

I'm tellin you, you don't want any of FF14. It is a MAAASSSSIVE time sink and requires a monthly subscription to play (or it did anyway not sure if it still does) and the learning curve can be quite daunting to say the least. Confusing menus and tons of info to remember. It is not for casual FF players in my opinion. Just trying to save you some time and frustration

11 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

@best3444

I'm tellin you, you don't want any of FF14. It is a MAAASSSSIVE time sink and requires a monthly subscription to play (or it did anyway not sure if it still does) and the learning curve can be quite daunting to say the least. Confusing menus and tons of info to remember. It is not for casual FF players in my opinion. Just trying to save you some time and frustration

Sounds awesome!

17 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

@best3444

Thanks but I played it for years back when it released. I know all about it but just forgot some basics. Trust me, I'm not playing it I just wanted to revisit it to see how it aged. I used to play with my twin brother every single night. Great memories. 

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Thanks but I played it for years back when it released. I know all about it but just forgot some basics. Trust me, I'm not playing it I just wanted to revisit it to see how it aged. I used to play with my twin brother every single night. Great memories. 

Well that's good to hear. I put about 300 hrs into it before it just became too consuming. I knew I was never gonna stop playing so I deleted it and never looked back lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

@best3444

Just starting out, you can play the free version with restrictions, but eventually you have to upgrade to a monthly subscription.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Biggie said:

mind numbing pointless drivel for people without jobs or lives

They had a bigger appeal back when playing online was still considered amazing. Now they are glorified chat rooms with extremely boring mechanics. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

They had a bigger appeal back when playing online was still considered amazing. Now they are glorified chat rooms with extremely boring mechanics. 

FYI. I wasn’t talking about you with my comment. 

Spoiler

It was @Bacon

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

FF14 is a very casual game IMO. Now, like 90% of the game can be played solo. I don't think the normal mode content has a steep learning curve, at least when compared to other MMOs. I've heard of 14 being called the "Retirement MMO". I don't think there is too much to remember either, especially when it comes to boss mechanics.

I can get through the required content with very little effort, and I am god awful at the game. Def a game that CAN be played casually, though I do feel that since I haven't finished the MSQ I really haven't even started playing the game yet. 

The story is good, but when you play it back to back to back to back, the mechanics around getting through the story are insanely tedious and boring. 90 percent of it is talk to this person who has very minor context, they want you to do this or take this to this person, that person ends up needing something, oop little battle real quick then back to original person. It really has not evolved much beyond that in all of the expansions. 

Granted, playing the story straight through is almost certainly NOT the way to approach the game. You should take your time, do side quests, level up the side jobs and all that stuff, go fishing, whatever. But the game makes me feel like I need to do the MSQ first and then engage with that other stuff. (Again, I'm aware that that's not how I should do it, it's just how I feel). 

There are times where I'm like, wow, this is one of my favorite experiences I've ever had in gaming, and there are other times where I'm like, WTF am I doing with my life. Again for context, I am a low-skill level basic bitch tank who isn't probably playing the game how it should be played. 

With EW being the end of Book 1 of FF14, I do think there should be some editing to the overall story. I think it would take a lot of work. Like, a whole expansion's worth of work, but in the grand scheme of things, there is a lot of padding in the MSQ. I feel Shadowbringers and Endwalker did a decent job of not having padding, but the quests that have you going from A to B and back to A need to be reworked with how long the story is getting. I don't think they should make some shitty movie or whatever to fill in new players. You need to build that connection with the Scions. You need to start from Adventurer before you can become the god-slaying worlds-saving Warrior of Light.

There are ways to reduce the time it takes to "beat" the MSQ while connecting the player to the world in a meaningful way. It's something that should also be optional. But a reworked more focused story could allow players to see content that is now "optional" by making it "mandatory" in the reworked MSQ. Such as forcing players to undergo Coils and Crystal Tower as part of the MSQ before moving on to Heavensward. But again, that would require a lot of work. It's not a simple task to rework something so vast without fucking it up big time.

• Guillotine 1

• Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL 6/28/24 - Pre-Order March 26th!!!
  • Bacon changed the title to Final Fantasy XIV: DAWNTRAIL 6/28/24 - Pre-Order March 26th!!! FF16 Crossover event 4/2/24 - 5/8/24